Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jenathegreat

70's fluorescent lighting - how to fix it when it's recessed.

jenathegreat
15 years ago

I'm looking for ideas. We have a galley kitchen in our 1969 ranch house. We did a mini-remodel when we moved in (painted cabinets, new appliances, new sink) but did not do anything with the light. Well now the fluorescent light has died and I'd love to get something better looking.

The problem is that the ceiling around the light fixture is recessed - there's some lovely plastic grids that sit at ceiling level to hide the light fixutre. It's a very small kitchen, so it's just one fluorescent light fixture set inside a box that is roughly 2'x6' and 7" deep.

Any examples of what it looks like to put a different sort of fixture inside a recessed box like this?

We are looking for a fairly cheap fix, so I don't think that patching the box up with new drywall is in our future. For one thing, the kitchen flows into the living room, so I think it would be hard to do. Second thing is that we absolutely do not have the talent or skill to do anything drywall by ourselves. Replacing a light fixture and maybe adding some trim around the box is about as talented as we are. But I'd really love to see some examples!!

Thanks for any help or advice.

Comments (6)