Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aloha2009

Putting Hardwood Floors Throughout While Getting Kitchen Done

aloha2009
10 years ago

I'm getting a bit nervous having in essence most of my house torn apart while I get all new flooring and my kitchen remodeled at the same time. The kitchen will have major changes in walls etc. We'll be getting 3/4" hardwood placed through most of the main living spaces (kitchen, living room, dining room, foyer). I want the flooring under the new cabinets but all this at once just stretches the "unrest" even longer. We will have a GC for all of it.

Is there anything we can do, to make this less painful to live through? I really wish we only had to do the kitchen or just the flooring. It's doing them together that has me feeling nervous as ever!

Comments (5)

• runninginplace
    10 years ago

As someone who installed HW flooring over many years and stages (lack of funds to do everything once) I think although it will be a mess you will be happy afterward that it was *one* messy stage, rather than spreading it out over time. Flooring is one of the home remodeling projects that, in an ideal world, I think should never be done after you move in/live in the space. It is so disruptive since you literally have to remove every.single.thing that sits on your floors. Having to go through the process over and over again...wouldn't wish that on anyone. Ideally I think flooring should be done before the moving truck arrives. Wish I had been able to do that! Second best: your situation, in which you are already doing a big disruptive project so might as well just go for it with the floors too.

So, get it done, get it over with and then enjoy your beautiful space.

• ControlfreakECS
    10 years ago

I'm not going to lie. It is nerve wracking. We adjusted surprisingly well to doing all of our eating and dining in the garage. But the days the floor was being done required locking up the pets and jumping from the front door to the first step to the upstairs when entering the house! LOL!

I don't know if I have any tips for you other than the fact that you need one space in your home that is a sanctuary for you away from the noise and the workers (mine was our home office); the flooring itself doesn't take that long in the grand scheme of the overall project - it is a few days that are very difficult out of what was (for us) a few months; and it is all worth it when it's done.

We love our floors, we love our kitchen, we love our family room addition. I barely remember all the difficulties now, unless I am asked to really think about it. LOL! It's kind of like childbirth that way. :)

Good luck!

• ck_squared
    10 years ago

We are starting day 3 of this exact process. Luckily we have a finished basement with a full-size fridge and a little tiny bar sink (better than nothing). We even have a bath with shower. We could live down here if we have to! Which, as you've made me think, we'll probably have to do once they start the floors. There's no way to reach the upstairs without stepping on what will be the new hardwood floors.

If we didn't have a basement, we'd be staying with family while floors are being done or at a local hotel.

I wish you all the best as you begin your process. It's incredibly exciting yet nerve wracking at the same time.

• chitownkat
    10 years ago

We are doing the exact same thing after Christmas this year. We are doing a full kitchen remodel and site-finished hardwoods throughout the first floor. I think we are going to have to move out for 2-3 days at 2 points in the project.

You will get through it and it will all be worth it. I cant wait to see our new floors once they are done. I cannot live with this carpet and 1980s tile much longer.

• suzanne_sl
    10 years ago

New floors are so worth the discombobulation! Depending on the layout of your house and whether you have a usable basement like ck_squared, you might consider vacating the premisis for a couple of days when you'll be out of your bedroom/bathroom. It really doesn't take too long for any given part of the house. With planning, you're only looking at maybe 2 days. Just consider it part of the remodel tab.