Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laughablemoments

Another crack at a floor plan

laughablemoments
11 years ago

Still trying to hammer out our floor plan.

-Need to fit in the 2 fridges,

-would really, really like to have the 2 stoves (a gas mega stove is not an option.)

-would really like 2 DWs

-lots of storage is a very good thing

-prep sink highly desirable

Window locations are fixed. Don't really want any cabs on the right side of picture (windows go nearly to the floor, and we like them that way.) Darkened areas are fixed. 44" deep section by fridge is fixed. Stairs are fixed. Foot print stays as is.

7 kids ages 12 and under, + mom and dad. We cook and eat 189 meals a week, mostly all from scratch. : ) Lots of helping bodies in the kitchen.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

p.s. I know that the barrier island is less than ideal, but I'm not sure of a way around it.

Comments (94)

• lavender_lass
    11 years ago

So you need something a little more duffer-proof? LOL

How about this? With a wooden top on the seating area, with a marble inset...and another one across, in the main baking area. I don't think anyone will want to sit right next to the prep sink, but you never know... {{!gwi}}From Cottage house plans

• laughablemoments
    Original Author
    11 years ago

We have 2 stoves, both are standard width. One of the 2 is the Gemini, the yin and yang of all stoves.

We have 2 fridges, both are 30" wide.

We have 1 24" w dishwasher. We plan to get another 24" at a future date.

MW, size unknown, but it will def. fit in a 36" area as drawn next to the Fridges. We currently don't own one, but DMIL said they have one in storage to give us that they bought a while back for a gift, but the receiver didn't need/want it, so there it sits.

Freezers live in the basement, so no issues there.

I'm thinking a super single sink under the big window in this size: 33"x22"x9.5"

Then the one in the island... we have a 19 1/8x 17in. sink that we could use there. Either that, or a D shaped sink in this size: 23"x21" x9".

The post to the left of the stove is 22 1/4 left to right x 7 1/2" deep.

The interior dimensions of the whole space are 14'6" x 23'4".

Well now, that island leaves more room to get our Duffs in and out, doesn't it. ; )

I'm sure my 2 yo would looove to sit by the sink (so she could play in the water...) : ) But no, I don't think anyone needs to sit there. What I do picture, though, is helpers working on multiple sides of either of the islands.

I'll show DH the island plans and discuss, gasp, cutting the marble. And google how to cut it ourselves.

• bmorepanic
    11 years ago

@Angela - the 30" space is in front of a tall pull out pantry unit.

• rosie
    11 years ago

Well, whichever you choose I like it, even if it does blast my image of someone trying to beat the ones running around by going over the top. Less likelihood of passing ingredients basketball style, too.

Regarding that squeeze point, families have been living with 36" hallways for very long now, so it really seems like it would do fine. I would definitely want more than 30", though. DH and I have 35" on the work side of the island, and the two of us do fine. However you decide, I suspect your family is a little more used to bumping and brushing by than most, including some whose standards are well represented on GardenWeb where the adults worry if a 5' aisle will be wide enough to be contact-free and are determined that their children will never have to share a bedroom or bath.

A peninsula instead of second island would create a dead end on the right and a crunch point right in front of one of the stoves. Going for as wide a gap as doable would of course help that a fair amount, plus eliminate any tendency to swing on them in the middle.

I do also like the island, though. A circular flow throughout the kitchen seems very worth having, you could go with a narrower gap, shooing lingerers away, and the seats would face each other and down the kitchen more.

• laughablemoments
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Argh, I forgot all about swinging parallel bar style--thanks for mentioning that! None of that now! No Olympic events in the kitchen. Shoo-shoo--O-U-T. : )

I do want more than 30" in that spot by the pull-out.

• lavender_lass
    11 years ago

Rosie- I like the marble island, too. My two concerns are lack of storage and that stool across from the big window. I over think things sometimes (like my house plan! LOL) but I do worry about little ones tipping backwards and hitting that window.

Of course, the peninsula against the window is not ideal, either. But, that should be easy to work around.

One thing I really like (from my own experience) is that the oven on the 'right' range can now open, without any obstacles behind it. You can always move the stool, so that should be nice for baking :)

• rosie
    11 years ago

Can't believe you didn't think of that. :)

Lavender, I confess I hadn't thought of the possibility of tipping over into the window. The additional storage and work space do speak for themselves.

Laughable should have a very informed opinion on the benefits of creating a dead-end dedicated work corner versus one with free movement. I've been trying to imagine all over again which might be better and now have no clue at all. Fun problem for the experts.

• laughablemoments
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Worrying about tipping back into the window probably isn't too far off of a possibility. When we first moved here, my DD, then about 1 1/2, was eating in her booster seat that was strapped to a chair. She put her feet on the apron of the table and pushed backward, which tipped her whole chair backwards. We heard an awful cracking noise, which was fortunately the window behind her that got banged by the chair, and not her head. The window was ancient, and already cracked and destined for removal, but still! We were so grateful she was not hurt.

My favorite bar stools, in theory anyway, since I haven't seen them irl, are the kind that attach to the island and can't be moved around. Perhaps that would be best there. Suspend It is one brand. I can't figure out how to paste the picture of one.

DH has been working outside all day, haven't had a chance to show him the developments yet.

Here is a link that might be useful: [Peninsulas Article on house, but none butt up to a window[(https://www.houzz.com/magazine/kitchen-layouts-island-or-a-peninsula-stsetivw-vs~170737)

• laughablemoments
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Still thinking.... Those niggling thoughts... the kitchen is too far from the dining room for everyday use, actually, the exact quote is, "Running dishes to/from the dining area is twice as far as it needs to be."

This isn't tidy, but it's the best I can do in Paint with the time I have at the moment. Kids will be up soon and it's time to make dinner.
    Wish I knew how to make the image a little bigger! I'm sorry it's so small.

• bmorepanic
    11 years ago

Goodness, I don't mean to sound like that! I never have learned how to speak other than too directly.

One of the cute/practical things I've seen for something like this is using two tables for the banquette area - on wheels so they can move closer to the ovens when desired. It also stops the table from getting too big to clean.

• laughablemoments
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I don't mind directness, so no worries. : ) It's good for helping me to think things through.

Two tables... I think I've seen this done when we go to restaurants (we've outgrown a lot of the tables- LOL) but never in someone's home.

• laughablemoments
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I don't mind directness, so no worries. : ) It's good for helping me to think things through.

Two tables... I think I've seen this done when we go to restaurants (we've outgrown a lot of the tables- LOL) but never in someone's home.

• rhome410
    11 years ago

THere is a lot here and I'm late to a very productive party. I think you are on a better track than way back when we tried this before and you wanted the kitchen to do, probably, too many things.

I am in full agreement that the stoves should be in close proximity to each other. In our kitchen with similar family size and habits, separating things, although it sounds good in theory, is a hassle.

Also, because of experience, now with kids in the house from 8 to 20, I urge you to consider aisle space around seating for plans with that issue. You may not be considering any of the plans any longer with this issue, but seating backing into aisles of 48" or less would not be good. You're about to hit the growth-spurt stage, where not only are the bodies bigger, but hungrier, more active, and not always conscientious and careful. The space will get more crowded in the next stage.

The 30" squeeze point doesn't bother me too much, for the reasons Angela gave... As long as there isn't a pullout pantry right there. ;-)

When I helped redesign my sister's kitchen, the code issue with a stove near a window had to do with venting, not the stove itself. The vent (I assume where it exited the outside of the house) had to be at least 3 ft from any window that opens. I think it was to prevent drawing the exhaust back into the house? But I'm not sure. If the window didn't open, or was 3 ft from the vent, the stove-window relationship wasn't a code issue.

I kind of like the last plan, but the little counter by the seating, I think, wouldn't be that helpful, and possibly just a clutter spot in the way. Also, the prep area is pretty far from the stove.

What really helps to make our kitchen work for our crowd is the island... of a workable size, and accessible from all sides, and with it's own sink. It contributes to every zone in the kitchen, and I believe it's what keeps the traffic flowing nicely and gives adequate workspace to every task and every person. I'm afraid that your built in table takes away opportunity for that.

This could be considered opinion ;-), but baking areas need sinks nearby... Like at your elbow or across the aisle. I use my prep sink as much for baking as I do for any prep, or filling/emptying pots.

I think your Sept 2 plan has possibilities, as well as Bmore's cool, angled plan. (when you can get functionality and a snazzy look, why not?!) But I also see a lot of merit in moving your cleanup area to where it's across from the access to the dining room... But I thought I remembered your wanting to keep your big sink by the back door?

• laughablemoments
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Rhome, welcome to the party. : ) You have a good memory. Thanks for giving us some feedback on these plans.

DH didn't like my giant banquette, so that's out.

I agree that I constantly use my sink when I bake and I don't want to have it far from my baking area. Since posting the plans above, I've thought that through more thoroughly.

Bmore's plan is very cool, and if this was a modern looking house, I might explore that some more.

I think I like the idea of having 2 specific work zones each with their own island. I've uploaded a picture, and I've drawn an extra sink in the baking area so that each work zone can have it's own sink. It might sound like a bit of overkill, but I think it would work really well in reality.

As far as the sink by the back door goes, we've decided that it's ok for it to leave. It's been good to spend some more time in this house and try to figure out what's vital, and what isn't. That sink is very tired and I'm ready to retire it.

As far as aisle-ways go, I think (hope) we're ok in that department in this plan. The only bad spot I see as I look at it is the stools by the front door. We ought to replace that door anyway, so when we do, maybe we can change the door swing around. It might make more sense to have it swing the other way.

I appreciate the input from everyone; you've given me much to ponder. Thank you!

I'd still love some input on which type of baking island to do: a 42" square that we can walk around, or a longer, skinnier one that closes off the baking zone at the end by the windows.

• rhome410
    11 years ago

Have you tried/considered a smaller table by the windows and one, all-work island centered more for all the areas? Or maybe something like a 30 x 30 free-standing butcherblock by the post area, and a bigger island more to the right? Still tight for seating.

How much seating do you feel you need?

I've lost track of where the post or posts are needed in the plan above... Is it only posts that must stay or part of a wall, too?

I don't think your island is deep enough for seating, and I'm afraid anyone sitting there will be in the way of accessing the snack center and cause a problem for traffic coming through from the entry and dining room. I think I like the Sep 2 plan better with the square island, but it looks deeper, so I'm not sure how it fits? Hard to keep scrolling back and forth to compare!

• laughablemoments
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Let's try to get the 2 plans together for comparison.

Too tired to do any more thinking. Maybe tomorrow.

• laughablemoments
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Can't figure out how to post both in one message... :/

• bmorepanic
    11 years ago

In the gray box by the 65" aisle is the post and the pull out pantry that pulls out into the 30" pinch point. The 12" utility cab is another pantry cab.

Sep 1, 12 at 10:32 has a drawing showing both the big and little posts with the pullout pantry.

• laughablemoments
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, if Lavender Lass can move her kitchen, I hope I can too. : )

My Mom suggested I try moving the kitchen to the living room again. So I did. DH likes it. I like it. I think even the house likes it, since everything seems to lay out better. Here it is:

• laughablemoments
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Left wall

• laughablemoments
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Top Wall:

• rhome410
    11 years ago

Wow...Now that's quite a kitchen! I'd leave more room in front of the fridges, though. And I'd put the microwave to the left of the fridge, because it seems to me that almost everything that goes into the mw comes out of the fridge or freezer, and I find it very handy to have the sink to add water or drain things that are cooked or thawed in the mw.

Make sure your prep sink is a usable size, and also the trash pullout. Map out where you will keep pots and pans, and baking pans, and also dishes, serveware, and glassware to make sure you have enough room. You could hang glass doored cabinets, that open from both sides, over the sink/bar area, so they are stored from the kitchen, but accessed from the dining room.. if you need more storage for such things.

I'm assuming the gray boxes are wall sections that can't be moved?

If you heat the house with that woodstove, will the kitchen be too hot to be comfortable? It looks cozy, though.

• rhome410
    11 years ago

Sorry to post again, but I keep forgetting to check that new, wonderful little box that says I can have followups to this discussion emailed to me! I'm back to do so, so I don't miss any of your further progress.

• laughablemoments
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks! : ) I've spent 4 years trying to make the other room work as a functional kitchen, and this one fell together in about 5 minutes. Go figure.

How far should I leave between the fridge and island? I just measured our fridges and they stick out 32" from the wall. I can't really move the island any more toward the bottom b/c of the lip of the hearth. If necessary, I could lose the seating at the island, but I'd rather not.

Is a 42" walkway from fridges to island enough space?

The interior dimension of our prep sink is 12" x 17". Is that adequate?

I planned an 18" trash pullout for the baking side of the island, and then I thought we could put another trash can under the cleanup sink.

Grayed areas cannot be moved.

I labeled all the cupboards and listed everything in them from my master list, so as long as everything was on there, it all fits.

I'll keep the glass doors in mind if our needs change in the future.

We have a soapstone stove, so the heat is more gentle than some wood stoves. And with the space being pretty open to the dining room, I think we'll be comfortable in there.

Thanks for keeping your eye on this discussion. : )

• rhome410
    11 years ago

We have about 44" in front of our fridge, which is about the same size as yours, so I think 42" will be fine. Not only do you want to be able to open the door, and maybe have room for someone else to slide by, but room to pull the fridge clear out, if necessary. With my oven saga, I now always think of "What if it needs to be pulled out to be replaced?" And with fridges, you might want to clean under or behind. ---Which brings up another thought. We put our fridges and freezer up on a toe kick, which really seems to decrease the dust bunny collection underneath.

My prep sink is about 14 x 16 inside, and I've often thought bigger would be nice, and I wouldn't want smaller. 12" is a little narrow for scrubbing veggies without smashing your knuckles. Might want to mock something up and see what you think. And make sure you can get a pan or colander in there with its handles. (You can fill large pots by setting them on the counter if you have a pull-out faucet.)

Trash plans sound good.

I was also thinking that if you moved the microwave, as I suggested above, you could get more purpose or more major storage of where you now have the microwave.

I'll be interested in what others have to say, not only, but particularly Bmore, who often catches things I miss at first glance.

• lavender_lass
    11 years ago

Laughable- If you stay in the original room...I LOVE that plan with the banquette! It's so cozy for seating, you have a great view and the work area looks great :)

If you move the kitchen, this new plan looks good, too. My only concern (probably already mentioned) is that the seating at the island is a little close to the seating at the table. Otherwise, another great plan!

• laughablemoments
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Lavender. DH really didn't like the banquette in the other plan, so that's a no-go.

I just taped off the counters and appliances on the living room and dining room floors. I'm going to play house for a bit and see how it feels.

I thought about putting the MW by the fridge too. I just don't want to loose counter space over it, since that's a tightish corner already. (Now if I could squeek the fridges down toward the door more....)

Bmore.....where arrrrre you? : ) I need your good eyes to check it over for me. Please? Thanks!

• laughablemoments
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oops, I hit submit instead of preview.

There is 48" between the corner of the fridge and the corner of the clean-up counter. Could I lessen this?

Also, the chair by the island will slide 2' farther back once I don't have junk piled behind it, so there is more clearance at that end than it looks like.

OK, I think that's all I was going to add.

• bmorepanic
    11 years ago

Not really - you have a murder of doors there - dw, ref, exterior and the opposing cabinets in the island. It's going to be a kinda popular location.

• laughablemoments
    Original Author
    11 years ago

OK, it was a long shot, but I thought I'd ask. The door swings into the master bedroom, but there's still a lot going on in that corner,that's true.

• rhome410
    11 years ago

I meant to put the microwave up... Like in the lower shelf of the upper cabinet. Since the fridge is deep, it would be a nice opportunity to have a slightly deeper upper or shelf for that purpose and it won't stick out like a sore thumb... Besides the advantages of being near the fridge.

I have mine in the bottom of any upper cabinet and forget they can go on the counter! ;-) But I don't want to give up that space. Sorry I wasn't clear.

Why do you want to move the fridges and lessen that distance between those corners? You'll lose your apron hanging spot, which I saw a good way to leave you some breathing room in that access-way while offering you function, too. Don't get corners too tight together. If the dw is open on that end, you'd really have a pinch point.

• laughablemoments
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Why do you want to move the fridges and lessen that distance between those corners?

That would give me more counter and cupboard space to the left of the fridges. I don't want to move them all the way to the door molding, but another 6" would allow for a 30" base cab. between the super susan and fridges.

I'm concerned with having deeper cabinets in that corner, in case they feel like they're coming out at me too far. I'd like to avoid that "in your face" feeling that deeper uppers give me; that's partly why I didn't put one of those angly upper corner cabs in. I'd like that corner to feel as spacious as possible.

I just looked through your pictures (again : )), and I see that your uppers go in and out, but I couldn't tell by looking their exact depths. It looks like your mw cupboard deeper than 12", yes? And wider than 24"? That's what I have to work with if I don't slide the fridges down.

Your toe-kick under the fridges is unique. Was it hard to hoist them up onto those?

• rhome410
    11 years ago

Your toe-kick under the fridges is unique. Was it hard to hoist them up onto those?

Not for me! ;-) Hubby and one of the boys did it pretty easily.

It looks like your mw cupboard deeper than 12", yes?

Yes, mine was designed for the size of the microwave I wanted (I figured there wouldn't ever be one larger that I'd want), so the exterior dimensions of the cabinet are 29" wide and a little over 19or 20" deep, which is deeper than necessary, as the mw can actually slide back into it a little bit. 18" would've been enough. But if your microwave isn't that big and doesn't require the same clearance, the cabinet can be smaller.

Also, you could do a shorter upper with a shelf underneath (even with the upper next to it), so you wouldn't have the sides of a cabinet infringing 1 1/2" on your clearance. --So you could fit a larger microwave in the 24" width, which is all you have over where it's drawn, left of the stove, too.

So the width and how much it might be in your face depend completely on the model you have, and the dimensions of what I have doesn't specifically pertain to you, except for the example of placing it up off the counter. I just felt it might not feel as bad next to the fridge, since it would be quite a bit back from the fridge front.

I don't think I'd crowd access to the room for 6" more cabinet and counter in this case. It's your widest, and probably most often used entrance/exit.

• bmorepanic
    11 years ago

You can put the micro where "G" or "H" is. It's a better location but will take more depth in the uppers.

What kind of micro? (make/model)

• laughablemoments
    Original Author
    11 years ago

OK, fridges stay put so there's no crowding.

I don't know what make/model of micro yet b/c right now we don't have one. Hopefully I'll know more soon.

See, I'd be the one helping lift the fridges; we don't have any big boys! ; ) That's a neat idea.

• liriodendron
    11 years ago

OK, I'll weigh in here:

A wood stove, especially one thats for substantial amount of heat to the house and a kitchen is a bad combo, IMO.

I know because I've lived with that plan for more than two decades and it drives me absolutely NUTS!

In fact it's the driving force making me move my kitchen to another room to separate the uses (since I can't move the chimney).

People who don't use their stoves much only see the amenity. I see the wood debris, ashes, dust, constant tracking in and out with the wood, the extra heat in the kitchen, etc. Plus everyone wants to sit closely around the woodstove which winds up making the whole area over crowded.

The other small technical problem is that you need to have an airtight woodstove with an outside air connection in order to operate it safely in a room with nearby exhaust fans. And even then you may have some backdrafting issues when re-fueling and running the fans simultaneously.

I am so much looking forward to having the woodstove in the room that functions solely as the sitting room and getting my kitchen moved away from it. I have one more winter with this set-up and the change can't happen soon enough for me.

L.

• lavender_lass
    11 years ago

L- I even wondered if that wood stove is too close to the chair and cabinets.

What about an electric stove? They're a great option, if you just want the ambience of a stove, with a little heat. I've thought about one for the master bedroom :)

• laughablemoments
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for weighing in on the wood stove issue Liri. I will share your observations w/ DH.

Our stove heats a lot differently than, say, a metal wood stove. That would be too hot. This is really a bit of a different animal, but still deserves some consideration. We do burn wood all winter long.

Funny you bring up the debris and tracking, b/c I was thinking, there, now all the debris (kitchen crumbs and wood crumbs) will be together, and the living room will be free of all the wood junk getting tracked into it! LOL

Then I was thinking, from now on I won't be cooking in the kitchen all alone while everyone is hanging out by the wood stove. Best yet, when my DH comes home from working outside all day, he'll visit with me in the kitchen by the wood stove rather than disappearing to the opposite end of the house. Woo-hoo!

Funny how we're seeing opposite sides of a similar coin.

I'm wondering, is your wood stove mixed in with your main work zone, so that the squatters are right in your way?

• laughablemoments
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Whoops, we were posting at the same time, Lavender. The chair already lives there, so it's not too close. It's a popular seat in the house during the winter months.

I'm still evaluating the distance between the stove and the end of the island. The cabinet next to the hearth should be fine. That's not going to be a high usage area, and it would double as a way to disguise wood storage.

Thanks for checking it out! : )

My mom has one of those little electric wood stove look alikes. They're a nice option for temporary heat or small spaces, I think.

• lavender_lass
    11 years ago

Laughable- Good to know about the chair! It looks very cozy :)

I'd love to have a wood stove in my kitchen, especially with a chair or two...but the electric stove sounds good in the bedroom. On/off switch and no soot! LOL

• lavender_lass
    11 years ago

Laughable- You have me wanting a wood stove, in my kitchen again! With a chair or two...and maybe an ottoman. It's just so cozy :)

• laughablemoments
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Have you had a wood stove before? It is cozy, but it's also a lot of maintenance. We love it, the heat is like no other, but it's definitely far from care-free. Carrying in wood, lots of debris, fiddling with getting it lit, adjusting the damper, refilling multiple times a day (and night, if that's your thing) dealing with the ashes, chimney cleaning. The heat is worth it to us; I'd just hate to have someone go into it without their eyes wide open. : )

If it's primarily the ambiance you're after, I think a gas or electric look-alike would be a great compromise without the hassle. Just my 2 cents : )

• lavender_lass
    11 years ago

I want one for power outages! Something small, but I can still boil water (have to have my tea LOL) and heat up some food. Also, nice to have heat, especially in the kitchen.

If we lived in town, I might go more for ambiance. I still might, if we decide to put a little stove, in the bedroom.

• liriodendron
    11 years ago

I realize you have a soap-stone walled stove but the wood debris issue is still the same. Having it in the kitchen is not pleasant at all. It just makes my food preparation room seem dirty, no matter how much I clean it. There are always some fugive wood smoke and ashes in a room with a stove, alas.

Plus you will still need to have a dedicated outside air connection if you have an exhaust fan in the kitchen. If you stove doesn't have that capability, you may need a new w/s.

I have lived with s/s box stoves similar to yours and they burn pretty much the same way that cast iron ones do. Their much-ballyhooed, longer "gentler" heat patterns are not as dramatic as one might think. The huge s/s masonry stoves do operate with completely different thermodynamics. But fire in a box, is fire in a box, even if the walls have some additional thermal mass. Box stoves of all materials are thermally puny compared to the mass of a masonry stove.

My stove is located in the awkward middle of a narrow room, but not particularly within my kitchen working zone. But its presence seems to just suck the life out of my kitchen space. Not even my 48" double oven range has a strong enough presence to counterbalance the stove and attendant hearth. Originally the flue we now use for the w/s was the flue for the wood-fired cookstove which currently sits out in the barn smugly awaiting the arrival of a post-Peak Oil fuel crisis. That's why the w/s wound up in the kitchen in the first place. But since the chimney ain't moving, the kitchen is.

As unsatisfied as I am with the kitchen w/s combination, I am not at all dissatisfied with burning wood. I find it very compelling to sit near during winter days and evenings. Somehow the attendant w/s messiness seems less obtrusive in a non-food prep space. But after dinner I like to move away from my kitchen and the work I do there throughout the day. I'm ready for a change of scene, however without any central heat in this house many of the other common rooms are somewhat inhospitable in the coldest periods. So we all stay crammed in the kitchen to be near the stove.

Ugh!

Now, I happen to think an excellent combination is a w/s and a dining room that is used for evening meals. Perhaps with a sitting area near the stove and bookshelves - that's just about my perfect image of a great DR. Can you use the DR space for food preparation and move the DR function into the w/s room? I didn't solve my frustration about the undesirable kitchen/wood stove pairing until I gave myself permission to consider moving the kitchen to any other room on the first floor.

HTH

L.

• lavender_lass
    11 years ago

L- It sounds like your only wood stove/heat is in the kitchen. If you had a stove in another room, would the kitchen be less of a problem?

Also, if you didn't burn all the time, only a bit in the evening or during power outages (and had the main stove in another room) would this be less of a problem? Could wood storage be in the other room and keep more of the mess, out of the kitchen?

That's what I'd like to do. We have a big brick (raised) fireplace in the living room and I'd like to have a wood stove in the kitchen...for cooking. When the power goes out it would be great and we don't have gas out here...and propane is not really a good option, either.

Laughable- Can you cook/boil water on a soapstone wood stove?

• bmorepanic
    11 years ago

Not to encourage more detour, but I thought this was cool ...

Here is a link that might be useful: Heat plus cooking.

• lavender_lass
    11 years ago

Bmore- That is cool!

I was thinking more tiny wood stove, with enough room for a tea kettle on top...somthing like this...but that oven is a great idea :) {{gwi:1482071}}From Lavender Lass farmhouse pictures

• laughablemoments
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ahhhhh, cook stoves. That's what I wanted originally. Now y'all have thrown me for a loop! LOL

Lehmans.com carries a variety of stoves you can cook on.

That wood stove is the ittiest bittiest one I've ever seen, Lavender. It almost looks like it would burn on pencil shavings (oh, if only!) How adorable.

My soapstone stove does not really get a stockpot of water up to a boil. Haven't tried a teapot. The water does evaporate quickly in the stockpots we keep on top all winter, though.

Woodstock Soapstone has just come out with a stove that does have a cook top that you can slide into place. See the link below.

If you want quick heat, soapstone isn't the best way to go. It takes about 45 minutes after lighting a fire to feel any warmth off the stove. It has to heat the mass of the stones first. It's better for a consistent keep it burning all the time type use.

We own a Woodstock Fireview soapstone stove. It's a nice stove, but it's not the best for watching the fire through the glass. I think this is one of the things that they tried to address in their new and improved hybrid stove, again, linked below. I've seen stoves with much better airwash of the glass than what ours has. Ours clouds over very, very quickly.

Liri, thank you for your details. I like the idea of a wood stove in the dining room. Unfortunately, I can't switch our kitchen and dining rooms. The dining room is a major thoroughfair with lots of doorways and activity through it. I understand trying the kitchen in other spots though. I've tried imagining our kitchen functioning in every space but the stairwell and bathrooms! : ) (Well, truth be told, you know you're TKO when you go to the loo and think, now if this space was my kitchen...how would I lay it out...blush.)

We do have central heat, so we're not relying solely on our wood stove.

OK, totally unrelated: I think my trash pullout is hogging way too much space under the island in this last drawing. I want that hunka space for pots and pans. So. Where to put the trash? Do I give up a pull-out and just stick a can at the end of the fridge run? Do I try to slide it under somewhere else?

Here is a link that might be useful: Soapstone stove with cook top

• lyfia
    11 years ago

Put the trash under the sink. We don't have much room in our house and retrofitted our trash pull-out under the sink. Just requires some attention to how you put the plumbing, but we were able to fit it with cutting a 1"x1" rectangle out of the trash can and didn't even have to re-route the plumbing. A friend of mine did a double trash can and was able to fit it with paying attention to the plumbing underneat too.

• rosie
    11 years ago

Laughable, I had to decide between putting the trash pullout at our prep area or by the kitchen sink (for scraping, etc.). Coin toss in some respects, but I chose the latter because we are on septic and don't have a garbage disposal. But it's on the short arm of an L, with the prep area on the island just a couple direct steps in the direction it pulls out. Yours is a little harder to get to.

If you have a garbage disposal for cleanup stuff, I'd put the pull-out in the prep area. I'm always pulling off packaging, gathering up onion skins and carrot tops, etc., and carrying them over to the garbage--instead of just pulling it out and sweeping them in. (Actually I do it on cutting boards and sweep THEM off in the garbage, AND I'll do little quick jobs in the secondary prep corner adjacent to the garbage, but I wanted to make it sound maximally bothersome).

FWIW (not much I suspect), we used to have a gas stove, and I loved it for when the power went off. Including when a half million people in our area were without power in a teens-temperate winter for up to 6 weeks, many refugeeing from fine home to high school gyms while we sat warm and cozy, and well fed without fuss, courtesy of our gas stove.

This house, DH wanted to put a wood-burning furnace in the LRM instead of a tank for our antique gas stove (we don't have gas in this area but do own lots of trees), which I went with. I'm sorry now that I accepted either-or. We could buy a swing-out bracket and an iron pot to hang from it, but it's hardly the same. By all means, have your wonderful wood stove for the pleasure it offers, wherever you want it and whenever you want its heat, but if you also have gas stoves, and some well-placed doors on your rooms, that'd be great.