Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kjirstyn

Toe Kick Drawer Hardware?

kjirstyn
11 years ago

We're getting toe kick drawers installed in the kitchen, but I've hit a wall when it comes to finding the pulls I had pictured. We're NOT getting the hardware that make it possible for you to literally kick the drawer open and shut; they will act like normal drawers. But they're recessed like a typical toe kick space would be, and what I'm really wanting for a pull is a wide, curved "hook" of some sort that's actually wide and deep enough to catch with my foot and pull open. I have found ONE after multiple google searches and various wordings, and I'm not sure if it'll fit the bill or not. Anybody have any ideas?

Comments (9)

• jscout
    11 years ago

I searched for a long time for that same exact thing. The closest thing I could find was some top mounted file cabinet pulls. Sorry, I don't have the link to the product anymore. But you can probably search using those terms. I decided to wait until the cabinets were installed to see what they were like. To my surprise, the cabinetmaker used those push-in click lock drawer slides made by KV. The hardware worked so well that I decided to abandon the pulls altogether. One thing that did worry me about toe-kick drawer pulls was the possibility of kicking it with my bare foot and ripping off a toe nail. I'm so glad I don't have that to worry about any more.

Can I ask why you don't want that hardware? Is it because you're afraid of damaging the finish from repeated kicking? I got around that by wrapping the drawer face with transparent contact paper. In 10 months, the contact paper still looks great.

• blackchamois
    11 years ago

jscout - would you mind posting a pic of your toe kick drawer. I have asked for one to be installed in my new kitchen. Thanks!

• jscout
    11 years ago

Here are a couple of pictures. One showing the three that I have and a closer shot of one of them. Let me know if you need more or other angles.

• kjirstyn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

jscout: My main reason was that I understood the pressure kick hardware to be pretty expensive. My husband has already spoiled me rotten with every detail I wanted in this kitchen, so I was hesitant to add another thing. What are your thoughts, are they not so expensive?

• jscout
    11 years ago

I think it all depends on the manufacturer. My cabinetmaker used slides made by KV. He told me he used those for a lot for custom file cabinet jobs. They're rated for up to 100 lbs, so that shouldn't be a problem unless I want to stand on it or store solid gold bars.

There are electromechanical versions of push-to-open like Blum's Servo unit. That are expensive and does require electricity and other hardware.

Here is a link that might be useful: KV Push To Open Drawer Slide Source

• kjirstyn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'll look at the link, thanks! I just had a thought though, for those of you with young kids-- is this a problem for crawlers? I have no idea how sensitive this hardware is to bumps and I can just picture a little squirt getting a face full of drawer.

• andreak100
    11 years ago

jscout - than you for the helpful photo and the link. We're getting two in our kitchen and I've been wondering what would be the best thing to get.

I do have three questions (for now):

How high is the inside of the drawer? I'm thinking that it's about 2 1/2"? Is that right?
    Did you use the transparent contact paper over the entire front of the toekick drawer?

Do you have to push in around the center area or can you push it anywhere along the bottom for it to come out?

• jscout
    11 years ago

is this a problem for crawlers?
    Not for the slides I have installed. A crawler wouldn't be strong enough to push the drawer in. A strong toddler might be able to, but their face would most likely be above the drawer line. If the drawer has something in it, it pops out slower and not as far. An empty drawer will pop out quicker and farther, but there's no mass so it also takes less to stop.

How high is the inside of the drawer? I'm thinking that it's about 2 1/2"? Is that right?
    Mine drawers are 2.25" deep. But there is about 2.5" of head room.

Did you use the transparent contact paper over the entire front of the toekick drawer?
    I wrapped the entire drawer front.

Do you have to push in around the center area or can you push it anywhere along the bottom for it to come out?
    You can push anywhere on the face of the drawer, which is why I wrapped the entire drawer front with transparent contact paper.

• PRO
    Russell Construction
    2 years ago

As a custom cabinet builder and currently building the same thing for a customer that they want cause one kid is 10 the other is 4 so it will act as a stool. I take normal hardware (heavy duty undermount guides) and a small ac motor connect it to an actuator/switch that’s under do they use their toes and lift their toes into the switch and it automatically opens then kick shut