Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_9268002

microfiber 101

User
15 years ago

I recently bought microfiber cloths based on the raves here. (I bought them in the automotive dept at Walmart). They do work nicely, particularly loving it for the granite. Now I recall reading that they should be machine washed and dried separately (only the microfiber cloths in the load). I did that, and am now wondering do we care -- as in does it matter ---if the cloths have stains that don't come out? And, I have only used them with water and have been very ambitious cleaning with them.

I tried using the search function but it is not cooperating. I did post a similar question on the bathroom forum but it gets way less traffic.

As always, thanks.

Comments (14)

• susanlynn2012
    15 years ago

I was curious of the answer also on how to clean microfiber cloths so I did some research for you. Here is one link.

Here is a link that might be useful: A link about how to clean microfiber cloths

• susanlynn2012
    15 years ago

http://photo.net/filters-bags-tripods-accessories-forum/00IYQb
    Best way to wash microfiber cloths?

Here is a link that might be useful: Best way to wash microfiber cloths?

• susanlynn2012
    15 years ago

To clean a microfiber cloth, wash with warm soapy water and rinse well. The warm water opens up the fibers, allowing them to release the locked-in dirt. Placing the cloths in a washing machine and then drying them in a dryer on low heat is also effective. No fabric softeners of any kind should be used as the chemicals clog up the microfibers, making them less effective. Bleach should also be avoided as it corrodes the fibers over time, making them less effective. Ironing is also potentially damaging.

Here is a link that might be useful: To clean a microfiber cloth

• susanlynn2012
    15 years ago

Another link

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to above answer with link above for another answer

• ma-bookreader
    15 years ago

They can be washed in the washing machine, but do not wash them with other clothing. Other clothing will release fibers and you don't want them getting trapped in the microfiber cloth. There is a long discussion on this in the GW Cleaning forum.

• susanlynn2012
    15 years ago

Thank you ma-bookreader for letting us know that microfiber cloths should not be washed with other clothing.

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the links and the info. On the packaging it did say they could be machine washed and dried and not to wash or dry with other fabrics.
    So I guess I did right by not trying too hard to clean the cloths. Some of them have stains ( I got a little zealous with one or two and cleaned something in the garage,).
    I do find they are wonderful on the granite. I have a dark speckled granite (blue sapphire) and it doesnt show any dirt. However when you run your hands over it, you can feel crumbs and the like because "those who are preparing food" don't see the mess, don't clean the mess..... sound familiar anyone? Well the microfiber works great. I find it also works great on the very few water spots I get on the stainless sink and stainless finish faucet.
    I did look on the cleaning forum, but honestly the search function is not functioning too swiftly lately. I know I had read lots about them, but was not too productive when I tried searching.

• remodelfla
    15 years ago

There's a Cleaning Forum? Now... there's a place that I'd have to really be stumped or bored to go on (no insult meant to anyone... just referring to my disinterest in learning more about cleaning!) Kitchens are WWWAAAYYY more fun!

• cat_mom
    15 years ago

I'd always thought (read?) that microfiber cloths need to be air dried; that they should not go in the dryer....?

• ma-bookreader
    15 years ago

Microfiber dries very quickly so I think the key is to not over dry them in the dryer. When I dry these, I set the timer on my drier for about 10 minutes and use a low heat setting.

• pcjs
    15 years ago

I bought some and didn't like them - but maybe because I put them on the oven to grab a pot and I have a burn spot on one - oops. Keep them away from heat was the lesson I learned.

• cat_mom
    15 years ago

I usually air dry them on a rack and then after they're dry, toss 'em in the dryer (no dryer sheet) for a minute or two to "fluff" them up a little.

• yolande_1951
    15 years ago

Someone mentioned that there is a front and back to the cloth. Is there a difference in usage?

Thanks,

Judy

• raehelen
    15 years ago

I have two kinds- the very thin white ones that I use exclusively for glass- and terry cloth ones that I use for the kitchen, granite, floors, furniture, etc.

I clean both by hand in hot water in which I've dissolved some laundry detergent. Usually after soaking for 1/2hr or so, they come clean by themselves- dirt just gets released into the sink. I air dry them.

I had read NOT to wash them with anything else and not to put in dryer (the thin white ones came with those specific instructions). This has worked out really well for me, and most of my cloths/mopheads still look like new- except for one coffee stain on one.

Boy, $12 for 25 at Sam's club (referenced in the link by Lynn). Now, that sounds like a deal!

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths