Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
renayy_gw

Yee Haw!!! It's Finally Done!!

renayy
13 years ago

Finally my kitchen is finished.. Happy Dance here!!!

It has taken me over 6 months and yes I know some of you did major remodeling and tore out walls and had to deal with a lot worse mess then I did! I can't imagine living with that as just tearing out old cabinets and putting in new appliances and countertops were enough stress for me.

Here is some basic information about my kitchen and please feel free to ask me more questions and thank you for taking a peek at my finished kitchen.

The cabinets were locally made and are natural cherry so the color is getting darker and richer as time goes by. I absolutely love them.

The countertop is a leathered costa esmeralda granite and although more expensive then I had planned for is extremely easy to take care of and again I love it!! I will never have to seal it ... YAY

Under mount sink is by swanstone and again very easy to take care of. That was one of the first things I picked out in planning my new kitchen and I have not been disappointed.

Handles are amerock divinity series which I got online.

I had to have my garden window replaced and this new one is much nicer and gives me more a view of the wooded area I live in and lets in a lot of natural light.

My oak floors which I had installed when the house was built over 17 years ago were recently refinished with a nutmeg stain with a so called *stressed* look.. love that as scratches now don't show up it just looks like part of the floor.

I love this site which has given me so much needed advice and options to consider... So a big THANK YOU to everyone who posts and asks questions and those who take their time to answer.

Comments (34)

• dianalo
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

That looks so nice! Love the CE and esp with your sink setup. Your counters have such a serene color yet dramatic veining to make it endlessly interesting. Your cabs and hardware look "friendly" and warm to me.
    That knife pullout is an interesting concept. Can you please post more pix and details about it?

• segbrown
    13 years ago

Very, very pretty.

• katsmah
    13 years ago

Very nice! I love your granite, it appears to have very rich colors, where most photos I see of Costa Esmarelda appear muted. Is that a result of having it leathered? Could you post more photos of it?

• rhome410
    13 years ago

Can't beat natural cherry..So beautiful! And your counters are fantastic, too. I love the leathered finish that gives the granite a whole different look and feel. Enjoy!

• plllog
    13 years ago

Congratulations! The counter looks great. I love the knife block in the pullout. Very clever.

• rjr220
    13 years ago

Very pretty -- classy backsplash. I like the simple detail over the range -- isn't it amazing what you can do with subways? Knife block is really cool!.

Congrats!

• roseofblue
    13 years ago

Congratulations, love your custom Cherry Cabinets and pull-outs, Gorgeous Granite, Rich Floors, great Back-splash Tile - where did you find this Tile? Please tell me about your Gas Range, we still need one? WHAT BRAND IS YOUR NEW GARDEN WINDOW, Have always wanted one of these over my sink! Does the Garden Window, open at all and which way does it face and do you get any snow there? What will you Grow in your new Greenhouse Window! Thank you for sharing, with all of us, roseofblue

• tinker_2006
    13 years ago

Feels great to be done I bet - but worth the wait! Looks great, enjoy!!

• onedogedie
    13 years ago

Tried to click through to photobucket to admire your kitchen more but it's not happening. Would love to see more pixels especially of the granite.

• semi
    13 years ago

More pictures of that gorgeous window please!!!!!

Great job. Your cabinets are like little works of furniture, I love cherry and yours is especially lovely.

Enjoy and congratulations!

• bmorepanic
    13 years ago

Lovely gorgeous costa and your window is beautiful.

Wishing you many years of enjoyment.

• wallycat
    13 years ago

Love everything!!
    I have been dreaming of a white kitchen for 9 years (yeah, DH drags his feet..forever) but seeing the natural cherry has me swaying. Also thought I hated granite till I see it leathered. Beautiful!

Yes, please more info on the knife thingie!!

• tinker_2006
    13 years ago

Feels great to be done I bet - but worth the wait! Looks great, enjoy!!

• Gena Hooper
    13 years ago

Very pretty! I love your cherry cabinets. They simply glow. And what a fantastic window. Wonderful!

• chris45ny
    13 years ago

Congratulations!! I am a fan of wood and your cabinets are especially nice as is everything else. Knife holder-very clever idea. Would love to have a window like yours over my sink. I'd put pots of herbs there. Also like the mix of black and stainless in the appliances.

• dianalo
    13 years ago

Hi again,
    I went to my kitchen layout and was working on it until almost 2:30 a.m. in order to get a pullout on my sink wall that can hold a knife block (all your fault I missed my beauty sleep, lol)! I am doing IKEA so had to work around the sizes they offer. I will have a larger sink cab and 12 inch pullout next to it. I am hoping yours is not wider than 12"! I am guessing/hoping the knife insert is something that can be bought... otherwise, I have to go back to the original plan with 24 inch drawers next to a smaller sink cab, unless I put the pullout on my island instead... oh no.... please don't make me fiddle around any more, lol.

• renayy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you everyone for the compliments .. that made my day :)

I'll have to wait until my daughter gets home to put in more photos of the granite, window and knife holder as she is the computer guru of the family.
    I saw the knife holder somewhere and asked the guy who built the cabinets if he could do one so he is the one who designed it and he just looked at all my knives and made it as deep as the longest knife I had. But I will try and take more pictures of it.
    The garden window is Ply Gem and I am pleased with it. The side windows open part way and hopefully some different photo's will show that. I may plant some herbs in it during winter but I have a nice big planter outside for herbs during the summer. And no we don't get that much snow but do get some and I live near Seattle :) So yes we get lots and lots of rain .. I do think they sell these windows everywhere though so I am not not if snow is a concern or not.. good question though. Garden windows don't seem to be as popular these days but they do such a great job of opening up a kitchen and I've never regretted having one.

My tile is by Elements and is called white sand in a matt finish.. I would imagine you could order from anyone who sells tile. They are hand made so I had to wait two months to get them.. Even though I love them I went way over budget for them.. that is so easy to do during remodeling.. you save some here and there and then splurge big time on a couple of things so I probably should have planned a bit better. But again no regrets after I saw the finished results :)

My gas range is by Frigidair professional series.. I've had that for almost two years and it works great (has a convection oven in it as well and a warming drawer which I never use except to store pots and pans LOL)

I had looked at quite a few slabs of costa esmeralda.. most of them tended to look more grey green and one even had pink in it.. when I found this leathered granite I was almost sold.. I think one of the best things you can do when looking at granite is to take a cabinet door that is very close to what you will be using.. set it against the granite slab and take a few pictures. When I got home after doing that and downloaded the pictures it became very clear that the cabinet worked best with the leathered costa esmeralda. It gets overwhelming when looking at all thses slabs of granites so by taking the pictures and looking at home really really helps.. plus I swear by Tom Cordova the rock guy who saved me big money by helping me pick the right granite :) This particular granite had a big hole in it so I got a discount and since I needed two slabs they were able to work around the patched hole. I have two nice size pieces left if anyone lives near seattle and is interested I am planning to sell them as they are hard to find. Wish I could use them but I can't :(

Sorry didn't mean to write a book but I do hope I answered your questions.. and I will try to do some better pictures. Thank you again kind people :)

• gsciencechick
    13 years ago

Ooh, that is so gorgeous with the CE and the cherry cabinets! Love your hanging light fixture, too.

Congrats!

• renayy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Dianalo I tried answering your question and I don't think it went through so I apologize if everyone is seeing this twice.. still trying to figure all of this out.
    My knife block itself is about 6 3/4" wide and with the drawer front it is 8 1/2".. I did have it custom made so it would fit in that small space.. I love that it has a spot in back for oils and beneath it for extra things.. I am finding it very handy and I hope you don't anymore sleep over this.. I've done that myself many times during this project.. I think I've aged a couple of years LOL Okay fingers crossed this will work..

• dianalo
    13 years ago

Thank you so much for your answers. It sounds like I need to ask my contractor if he can make one for me and will try not to worry that he can't. I can cross that bridge if I get there, lol. The more I think about it, it is a block of wood with some holes put in it. It can't be that hard to make (ha-ha-ha, as I naively hope it won't cost an arm and a leg, lol).
    I guess the fact that the town is torturing us with delays on our paperwork can actually give me time to work out details like this. In any case, it will be a tremendous asset if I can figure out how to make it happen. I will think of you when I take out a knife forevermore. Hmmm... that did not come out right... ;)

• remodelfla
    13 years ago

I am really looking forward to seeing close up pics of your leathered CE. It looks beautiful and I agree that I usually don't see slabs with so much color variation and "rivers" running through it. Looks PERFECT!

• eastbaymom
    13 years ago

Such beautiful wood grain and finish. Love how it shows up on the side panel for the fridge and the big cabinet doors.

Unusual and elegant pulls on your cabinets -- and likewise, unusual sink, but great combination of style and function!

Congratulations.

• susanlynn2012
    13 years ago

I love the natural cherry cabinets and hardware. your granite counters look so nice with your cabinets. I love the nutmeg stain on your wood floors. I also love your backsplash above your stove.

• formerlyflorantha
    13 years ago

I'm impressed and inspired. love the wood look

• renayy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here are more photos of the granite, knife block, and garden window. Enjoy!

• rookie_2010
    13 years ago

Wow! I LOVE the granite! It's gorgeous. I have those same pull-out shelf things where your knife block is. I really, really wish I had thought to make mine useful like you did! I'm brainstorming about retrofitting something like yours now.

Your kitchen is so functional and pretty at the same time. Great job, enjoy and thanks so much for sharing!

• dianalo
    13 years ago

Your close ups are even better than before! I love the CE and totally see why you did the garden window. ;)

• bostonpam
    13 years ago

Wow - love the cherry cabinets and the fabulous granite with the dramatic green veins! I wished I saw your knife and oil storage before - I definitely would have used it.

• pinch_me
    13 years ago

"Everyone knows" green didn't make it into MY top 10 color choices but that granite was made for your cabinet color! It must be breathtaking in person.

Where did you find that window shelf?

• flwrs_n_co
    13 years ago

Congratulations on a beautiful kitchen!! Your granite is beyond gorgeous with your warm cherry cabs. May I ask what kind of faucet you used? The knife block is inspired along with the oil storage. Definitely going to have to see if I can find room for that in my remodel. Thanks so much for sharing! Please be sure to put your kitchen in the FKB for others to draw some inspiration.

PS Love the view from your great garden window!

• renayy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

pinch me..The window shelf came with the garden window (most of them have a shelf) and it is removable and the height can be adjusted a bit..

flowrs my faucet was bought from costco and is made by hansgrohe and probably a discontinued model but there are some quite similar..

Thank you again to everyone who responded with so many compliments.. even though I do love my kitchen it is just so nice to get such great feedback from others :)

• katsmah
    13 years ago

That is gorgeous granite! I'm hoping to put CE in my kitchen, I haven't seen any with veins like that though.

• sabjimata
    13 years ago

Your cabinets are gorgeous and that jade-y granite looks great. Love the rug, btw...reminds me of a sari I used to have.

• vampiressrn
    13 years ago

Fabulous and that knife block is way cool!!!