Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ladypie_gw

To Pot Filler or not to Pot Filler

ladypie
14 years ago

We're thinking about moving my stove top from the kitchen island to an inside wall which now means the island will be in between the sink and stove top. My designer is recommending a pot filler Not sure if this is good solution or if the layout is not good. Is it worth the cost of the pot filler and installation or should we re-do the layout ? Hoping to use a 1 piece stove top/oven combo but also concerned whether I have enough room to stand behind an open over door without backing into the island. HELP !

Comments (9)

• erikanh
    14 years ago

Can you please post your layout? A potfiller can be nice to have, but it doesn't solve the problem of having to walk all the way around your island every time you need to drain a hot pot full of semi-boiling water!

• ladypie
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'm new to this site. Let me do some reading to figure out how and where to post the proposed layout. You make a very valid point !!!!!!!

• palimpsest
    14 years ago

I agree with evaluating the floorplan first. You may come up with a solution that reduces its necessity.

You also need to evaluate how you cook...do you routinely need large stock pots with water? (Lobster, homemade soups, corn boils, lotsa pasta)

If so, there is another consideration. Unless you are tall, large stockpots and such on a range that has burners at 37+" (for gas) are going to sit really high. Sometimes it is recommended that a cooktop that can be set *slightly lower is better for this type of cooking, so you can cook in the big pots more comfortably.

• plllog
    14 years ago

Look at the READ ME FIRST thread that lurks on the first page. It includes how to embed pictures and lots of other good info.

• ccoombs1
    14 years ago

If you have copper pipes in your house, you really need to re-think a pot filler. The EPA recommendation says that water that has been sitting in the pipes for more than 6 hours needs to be flushed before using the faucet. Pot fillers have no drains! Also, well water can cause problems with bacteria forming in the lines and those too, should be flushed. I saw someone here once that had a small chef's sink right next to the stove. It allowed water to be used and drained, right next to the stove. It was a great idea! Also, consider a food prep sink on the island across from the range. That would take care of the problem too.

Here is a link that might be useful: EPA warning about lead

• ludy-2009
    14 years ago

I had the same question several months ago when we started our kitchen reno. Two posts convinced me it was not the way to go. One person had flooded the cooktop twice after starting the water and then getting distracted. Another had a leak in the pipe and they had to pull out the entire backsplash to fix it. Many said it ended up being more aesthetic than functional. I love them -- they are beautiful, but the posts concerned me and we decided against. Good luck!

• datura-07
    14 years ago

so, how long are you suppose to let the water run before you use it??

• Buehl
    14 years ago

Datura-07, from Ccoombs1's link:
    Do not consume water that has sat in your homeÂs plumbing for more than six hours. First, make sure to run the water until you feel the temperature change before cooking, drinking, or brushing your teeth, unless otherwise instructed by your utility. (emphasis mine)

I would add, that what actually happens is that the water temperature changes twice b/f its ready to use.... I seem to recall reading somewhere that for a house w/the "average" amount of piping for water to flow through it takes somewhere b/w 1 & 2 minutes But, that was a long time ago so I may not remember correctly. I use the water temperature method.

You can collect that water & use it to water plants (inside & outside)...that's what I usually do, especially in the summer when I have containers on the back deck & front porch.

One thing to remember is that even if you have PVC piping, there are probably copper pipes leading into/out of your hot water tank and possibly the intake from your well or public water source.

I think the person who put in a small chef's sink had a good idea. The pot filler wouldn't have to be right over it, as long as it could reach it easily it would be fine...so you get the look & functionality of a pot filler with the safety net of a drain.

For leaks inside the wall...yes, there is a possibility of this and it's like a shower head that also comes directly from a wall... But, if you have access from the other side of the wall you may not have to disturb your tiled backsplash for repairs. That's assuming, of course, that your pot filler is on an inside wall.

Oh! That brings up another point... If your pot filler is on an outside wall, be sure it is very well insulated to prevent the pipe from freezing & bursting! [For those of us who live in areas where we have below freezing temperatures.]

BTW...it's not just pot fillers that are at-risk for overflowing...I did that once when I filled a pot next to my prep sink. The faucet head was docked on the edge of the pot to fill & I got distracted. The advantage I did have, though, is that w/the sink right there I could dump the excess water from the pot and "sweep" the overflowed water into the sink.

• erikanh
    14 years ago

Here's my potfiller and chef sink.

For some odd reason, DH (who doesn't cook) really wanted a potfiller. I had to go with a deckmount fixture because the plumber was concerned about frozen pipes in the winter due to it being an exterior wall. They were a big splurge, especially since my prep sink is so nearby, and I wouldn't have considered it if I didn't have so much counterspace on both sides of the cooktop. I cook a lot of pasta (DH's favorite) and it's so handy to be able to drain boiling pots of water into that little sink. My colander just happens to fit perfectly in it.