Return to the Kitchens Forum

o
New To Kitchens? Posting Pics? Read Me! [Help keep on Page 1]

Posted by buehl (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 28, 12 at 22:54

(One last time!)

Welcome! If you are new to the Kitchens Forum, you may find the following information and links helpful.

The Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)/Articles pages contain helpful information about how to navigate this site as well as the world of kitchen renovations.

The Kitchen Forum Acronyms will help you understand some of the acronyms used frequently in posts.

The Finished Kitchens Blog has pictures and information about many GW members' finished kitchens. Not only can you see them alphabetically, but there is also a category list if you're looking for specific things like a kitchen w/a Beverage Center or a kitchen w/a mix of dark and light cabinets. Access the FKB Categories Page via a link in the navigation panel on the right of any FKB page. Additionally, there is also a link to "In-Progress Kitchens" for those members' kitchens that are not quite ready for the FKB. There is also a link to "Coming Soon Kitchens" for those kitchens that are ready for the FKB but have not yet been added. To access the "In-Progress Kitchens", the "Coming Soon Kitchens", and the "FKB Categories", see the links in the navigation panel that is on the right side of each main FKB page.

The Appliances Forum is very useful when you have questions specific to appliances.

To start off the kitchen remodel process...take the Sweeby Test. Then, move on to Beginning a Kitchen Plan.

Other topics such as layouts, planning for storage, and stone materials are discussed in later topics in this thread. Even more information can be found by doing a search on the forum.

Tips:

• Before posting a question, please search the forum. There's a very good chance someone has already asked the question.

• When using the "search" function, be sure to use the search box on the bottom of the page, not the top!

• Note, however, that you will probably have better luck searching if you use Google (or similar search engine) than if you use the Forum search function. When using Google, to limit your results to Garden Web, include the following in your search criteria: ***site:ths.gardenweb.com

• In the Subject, the site changes the double quote used as the inches indicator (") to a single quote ('). We don't know why. To compensate, use two single quotes and it will appear as a double quote in the Subject. Luckily, the double quote works in the message box.

• When composing a new thread, you have a couple of options:

• Have replies emailed to you: check the box offering this option. However, you must have "Allow other users to send you email via forms at our site." box checked in your profile for this to work (see the "Your Profile" link at the very top of the page) [See the post later in this thread with the Subject: Getting Emails Sent To You...3-step Process]

• Insert a link: When you "preview" your message, you will be provided with two boxes for a link...one is for the link itself and the second is for the name or description of the link.

• When using the "Clip this post" option (far upper right corner of each post, small print), remember that only the current post is clipped, not the entire thread. Also, you are allowed a maximum of 50 clippings. Once you reach this max, you will no longer be able to clip or email posts.

How are the home page and the Forum organized? (based on the Kitchen Forum's FAQs entries)

• The Kitchens Forum home page lists 30 thread titles, starting with those that don't yet have a response. After the unanswered threads, threads are listed in order of most recent response. That first page displays the last 2 hours or so of activity. (If there is no response to a thread in an hour or two, the unanswered thread usually starts to drop.)
  • Below the thread list are page numbers 1-67 for the total 67 pages of threads available -- capturing maybe 2 months or so of threads, less when the Forum is busy.
  • Below that (and at the top of the thread list as well) is a space for you to switch to the Conversations or Gallery "sides" - these are set up similarly but are not nearly as active.
  • Next down is a Search box -- very important! This is also the Search box you should use (not the one at the top of the page.)
    • Always refresh the page two or three times b/f assuming a thread has disappeared right after starting it.
    • As to searching...a thread will not be found doing a GW search for up to 24 hours after it has been started. This may seem too technical, but...searches are done against what are known as "indexes". Indexes use key fields/words to find things. iVillage only indexes threads once a day. So, that means that until your thread is "indexed", it won't show up in a search. If you start a thread just before the index is taken, you will be able to retrieve your thread by searching soon after creation. If, however, you start your thread right after the daily index, then you will have to wait almost 24 hours for the next index.

• Next is a place for you to start a new thread. And finally there are some instructions and links at the bottom.

Kitchen Forum "Sides"

Discussions: This is the "side" you are on. It is for on-topic discussions concerning kitchens...renovations, use of, etc.

Conversations: This is the "side" where you can post off topic threads such as regional get-togethers and non-kitchen subjects.

Gallery: This is the "side" where members often post pictures...especially if you're posting a lot or a finished kitchen. (Note: This is where StarPooh, our FKB person, wants you to post your finished kitchen prior to having it added to the FKB.)

Again, welcome and good luck! The journey is wild, sometimes bumpy, but fun and very rewarding in the end!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
How THIS thread is organized

To make this thread more readable and to make it easier to find a specific topic, I have created separate threads for each topic and just point/link to them from here.

We will continue to bump this thread, but not the other threads I created. Please, do not bump the "subject" threads I will be linking to from here. We do not want to flood the first page with all those threads. To do so would knock threads from members asking for help, etc. off the first page and would be counter-productive!

o
Posting a Link

o
Posting Pictures

o
Layout Help

The following thread contains the information we need to help you find a layout that works for you and your family as well as how to draw up and label a floor plan.

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg010521247761.html

What are zones and how do you design with them in mind?

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0508230128712.html

A piece of advice:

When you post a layout for comments, please do not take the comments you receive personally. Everyone here is trying to help, not criticize maliciously. We want you to have a kitchen that, in the end, functions wonderfully well and looks nice overall. This may mean that some of us may tear apart your layout and rebuild it to what we think will work better, but it's done with good intentions. We're not the best at just "validating" someones layout, we're best at critiquing!

I will warn you that most of us here are "function over form" (or "function first")...meaning we strive first for a functional layout and then fit the form or look around it. It is far easier to make a functional kitchen look nice than it is to make a nice looking but dysfunctional kitchen functional. So, if you are a form/looks over function person, be sure to state that when you post.

Some people here think "function over form" means that we want all kitchens to look the same....not true! What we do want is all kitchens to function well...which means that in 99% of the cases, the workflow is the same...so that will mean some similarities due to workflow. However, as each kitchen is unique, each will have its own unique quirks, etc.

In the end, remember this is your kitchen. You don't have to make any of the recommended changes if you don't want to!

[Note: If you're just posting for validation of your layout (i.e., you don't want comments that suggest changes), state that as well. If you don't, people will comment on it!

Warning: People may comment anyway, it's tough to let a kitchen go that you think is dysfunctional and will cause angst later...especially if it's not yet installed and we think we can help. Bear with us, we're just trying to help!]

o
The Next Step...Planning For Storage

Planning your storage, including where items are commonly stored.

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg010523449014.html

o
Getting Emails Sent To You...3-step Process

o
Miscellaneous Information

Contains:

• Links from the "Read Me" thread
  • Pantries
  • Useful Information (NKBA links, Other Forums)
  • Helpful Threads (a myriad of past & present threads containing useful/helpful information)
  • Tile Information.
  • Stone Information (how to shop/test/install stone counters, how to remove stains)
  • Cleaning Your Kitchen
  • Custom Cabinetmaker Sample Agreement

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0105344116836.html

•  o
    Bookmarking & Saving Threads

Bookmarking threads so you can find them later or saving them so you have them (and associated pictures) ''forever''

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0105292031876.html

Note: As of Summer 2012, iVillage changed the thread lists & history functionality so that old threads can be resurrected. However, once a thread falls off of page 67, you will still need the URL of that thread to bring it back up. What has changed is that now if you bump the thread, it will re-appear in the list of threads.

While this may be useful for some, it does have the potential for pushing newer threads with more recent information and those asking for help off the first few pages faster. I would like to ask everyone to use discretion in resurrecting old threads. Yes, some have a lot of useful information, but I would like to suggest we create a "Library" of such threads as part of the FAQ rather than bringing them back to the thread list.

Thoughts?

o
    Eliminating Those Pesky Inline Links in Messages (Advertisements)

o
    How to Seal Your Stone

Steps to sealing a stone surface, if it needs it.

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0105254810134.html

o
    Gel Stain Instructions

o
    RE: New To Kitchens? Posting Pics? Read Me! [Help keep on Page 1]

BUMP:)

o

Bump

o

Jump

o

sump

o

bump

o

clump

o

pump

o

crump

o

What?? No musical bumps yet? ;)

Angie's posting of the great song 'Hang Me' on a couple of other threads (thanks Angie!) reminded me of the several Flatt and Scruggs (Foggy Mountain Boys) songs my Dad had on his mp3 when he died. I've been devouring any of their songs I can get my ears on lately. Turns out I truly enjoy old bluegrass.

One of my many current favorites is....

Here is a link that might be useful: Roll in My Sweet Baby's Arms

o

Let me take this chance to thank Buehl and the entire collection of bumpers for their persistence and effort that's made the collective trove of information here so much more available. Thanks very much; you've helped many more people than you'll ever know.

Here's one of my favorite pieces of music on the web, 'Free at Last' by the Blind Boys of Alabama.

Here is a link that might be useful: Free at Last

o

This is too good to be on pg 2!!

o

Stump

o

Back to pg 1 you go!

o

Mump(s)

o

Music, anyone?

It's a sunny day here so I'm enjoying the heck out of it before the dreary rainy months start.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sunshine

o

If I could post this song I would but I'm techno challenged so for me it's:

"School Day (Ring! Ring! Goes the Bell)" by the king of rock 'n roll - Chuck Berry.

o

Blfenton--apropos! I'll link a YouTube video of it below. My little DS starts 1st grade Wednesday. I'll be sad to see him gone from me all day everyday now. His kinder year was mornings so we had lunch together everyday.

Ellabee--I just got done bopping along to that one. Very nice! And for a second I thought Tyler Perry was on the drums back there.

Here is a link that might be useful: Go Chuck!

o

Move on up to first page please.

Love the music links! :)

o

Sorry I don't have time to get creative.

Bump!

o

me neither, Bump

o

Trump

What a voice:

Here is a link that might be useful: Davina and the Vagabonds

o

bumpity bump

o

Angie--Wow! I love her! Wow again! I listened to a few of her other songs. It would be fantastic to see her live. Thanks for introducing her.

The kids and I were grooving to this tonight at dinner. All I could find on Youtube were covers so this is from another site.

Here is a link that might be useful: Stuck in the Middle

o

Lets slow it down a little

Here is a link that might be useful: Raitt & Jones

o

Enduring--Two awesome ladies on a great live performance! I wish Norah Jones' career had skyrocketed after her first album. I really enjoy her. That one is going on my play list also.

The first few bars of that song reminded me of this song.

Here is a link that might be useful: Still Crazy

o

With the current thread running on "Please show me your stools" in mind ...

Dump

o

Angela! ROTFLMAO!

Sump pump.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sarah Mclachlan -- Hold On

o

Rump - had to be

Thanks for the music Breezy and Angie and Ellabee. I haven't listened to all but am working on the play list!

o

I Love the Cello. I either played a cello in a previous life, or I was a cello.

Here is a link that might be useful: Natalie Merchant on the BBC 2010

o

Ump

o

hump

o

Lump

Here is a link that might be useful: I Blinked Once (and It Was Gone)

o

Bumpity bump.

o

I think Norwegian Wood would look great on my new island.

Angie, great song you linked.

Here is a link that might be useful: Beatles

o

trump

Enduring, embarrassingly, I never knew the title of that was Norwegian Wood!

I love this one:

Here is a link that might be useful: Crayola doesn't make a color for your eyes

o

Crunch

OMG Angie that is the cutest song!!! I loved it!

o

Grump

I love this one, too:

Here is a link that might be useful: I Don't Know (by Lisa Hannigan)

o

Another great song Angie

Chump

o

Frump.

You cannot be frumpy when you listen to this song.

Here is a link that might be useful: Susan Tedeschi

o

Jump.

Great rendition of a blues classic by another musician/sing lost way too young. Btw, if you don't know Jeff Healey, he's blind not stoned. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: As the Years Go Passing By

o

thump

Here is a link that might be useful: On the Radio

o

slump

Here is a link that might be useful: Torn

o

mugwump

o

Breezy, I listened to that song at 5AM, it woke me up! Very nice. And Angie another cute school room song. Haven't listened to the last one yet, but I better

BUMP

to get this up to page ONE.

o

Bump

Here is a link that might be useful: Harvest Moon

o

Bump it up to 1.

Angie that's a great song! Love it.

o

Angie-- that crayola sing has been stuck in my head for a day and a half now! So cute. I couldn't open the others you've linked recently. My iPad gets to YouTube, tries to load, and then a message box says movie could not load. I think the ipad has difficulty with some from google that have too many redirects. I'm no expert though. :)

Last night was the first night I've gotten off from the kids since mid-June. I wanted an escape so headed to the theater. The only movie worth considering within my timeframe was 'Timeless'. The title made me laugh as I now associate that word with the "timeless" kitchen style. Lol! Anyway, the flick wasn't too bad if you could get around the excessive gore. The soundtrack was enjoyable. Here's my favorite tune.

Here is a link that might be useful: White Light, White Heat

o

Bump

One for the Waaay-back machine:

Here is a link that might be useful: Tanya T.

o

Bumpin' for Brandi

Here is a link that might be useful: Turpentine

o

Bumping.

Another Lisa Hannigan

Here is a link that might be useful: Passenger

o

Bump

Here is a link that might be useful: Natalie Merchant -- kids' song

o

Early morning Bump

o

Oh dear. It's on the bottom of pg 2 again. Gotta go to pg 1.

o

Goodnight Bump!

o

Bump

o

Bumpity bump

o

Bumpity bump bump

o

Bumpity bump bump bump.

o

What?? Still on pg 2?! Big BUMP!

o

Bump

o

Bump!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Paul Simon

o

Bump.

What were you doing on pg. 3, you naughty thread!?

o

Caught before you turned the corner.
    Bump

o

Man this forum moves fast!!!

o

Bumping again

o

This page was so stinking helpful. My brain is fried, but I'm learning so much!

o

Bump!

o

Bumpity bump.

o

bump

o

Bump

o

Bumpity bump

o

Bumpity bump bump. Up you go.

o

Oh no, on pg 2 again. Bump you go.

o

Gracious sakes! Today you are on pg 3. UP UP UP you go!

o

Bump....

o

Bump. (Thanks to tea4all for her diligence!)

o

Bumpity bump

o

Bumpity bump bump

o

You're welcome Angie. I think the info on this thread is most helpful and should always be easily available. I've bookmarked it and even printed some of it for continual reference. I really appreciate buehl's compiling it all!

o

Yeah, Buehl rocks!

Bump.

o

bump

o

Bump

o

Bump!

o

Bump!

o

Bump- but I thought we had a Sticky now

o

bump

o

Bump!

Beachpea, the problem is that the sticky does not cover everything this one does, so we are keeping this one going, at Buehl's request, for the time being.

o

Bump up to pg 1 please!

o

Trying another bump.

o

Bump

o

Bump

o

I haven't been on the forum much lately, and every time I am this has already been bumped!

I've been missing my camera a lot lately. The expensive camera DH had to have and bought without talking to me or doing any research won't focus for the life of me. He has never even used the d@mn thing which makes me more frustrated. I hate to buy another one given that DH's "had to have" is only 1.5 years old, but I may have to since I can't take pictures anymore!!!!!

All summer then kids and I had lots of fun at dozens of parks, the beach, and various zoos. I only have a couple of pics to from all that fun. I don't have a fancy phone so pics are lousy on it. Enough whining.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kodachrome song makes me want a camera

o

Breezy, I always loved that song. Had it on a "party tape" (remember them?!) back in college.

Thanks for the update and the tune.

Let's go back a little farther!

Here is a link that might be useful: That'll be the day

o

Bump

o

Bumpy

o

Bumpity bump

o

I remember party tapes! The concept makes me feel old now as the crazy young kids nowadays don't even know what records or even tapes are. Pretty soon, no one will know what a CD is either. Sigh.

Another of my all-time favorite Paul Simon songs, with a duet twist...

Here is a link that might be useful: Me and Julio and....

o

I've no music link. Just a big Bump!

o

bump

o

Bump, bump.

o

Here's a weekend bump.

o

Bump Bump!

o

Bump Bump!

o

Why are you all bumping this when tamara has the sticky in a long term position at the top of the page ??? It is the exact same as this post. Seems like it is a lot of trouble to bump this :) c

o

Tamara's doesn't have all the other links, etc. It's just the first message...the other eleven posts that are the "meat" of the Read Me thread...layout help, planning for storage, etc...are not included.

When I have time, I work on the FAQ and it's close to being done. When it is, I'm going to ask Tamara to put up a different sticky or add to the current one that has a "directory" or "index" of the FAQ (similar to the FAQ list page). When that's done, we'll retire the last Read Me thread. We've been doing this since at least 2008, maybe 2007...I may miss it! :-)

o

bump

o

bump

o

Bump this good info up to pg 1!

o

Bump again please!

o

Bump!

Here is a link that might be useful: And I moved...

o

Bumpity bump

o

Bumpity bump bump

o

Tuesday bump :)

o

Bump

Here is a link that might be useful: Momma's gonna bargain with the old cookpot

o

New day, another bump.

I like your music link Angie.

o

Bumperoo

o

bump

o

Bumpin'

o

Bumping up to pg 1 before the weekend hits.

o

bump

o

bump!

o

Bump!

o

Bump, Bump!

o

Bump

o

Bumpity bump

o

Bumpity bump

o

Bumpity bump bump

o

Bumpity bump bump bump

Wow, what were you doing on pg. 3?

o

Bumpity bump bump bump bump

o

Bumpity bump bump bump bumpity bump

o

Bumpity bump bump bump bumpity bump bump

o

Bump

o

Bump

o

Bumpity bump

o

Bumpity bump bump

o

Bumpity bump bump bump

o

Bumpity bump bump bumpity bump

o

Doing my part to help Angie out with the "bump"!

o

Thanks, enduring! Right back atcha!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: This thread has reached the upper limit for the number follow-ups allowed (150). If you would like to continue this discussion, please begin a new thread using the form on the main forum page.

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
    • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
    • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
    • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
    • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
    • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
    • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
    • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here