Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mariacentralcoast

Does apron sink spill water on front of cabinets?

How is your apron/farmhouse sink installed and does water trickle over the sink onto the cabinet? The person making and installing my kitchen cabinets wants to know how the granite counter will be installed over an apron sink so water does not spill down the face of the cabinets. He is also concerned that the apron sink is curved in the corner but has to to fit into a perpendicular corner.

Below is a picture of the sink that I want, and he thinks that the way it was installed is terrible. He said, "In the photo it shows a very simple top with no bullnose , not your typical situation, and it looks like no overhang beyond the cabinet , which is a horrible idea, unless one likes the look of water stains all over the front of the cabinets."

Here is a link that might be useful: sink I want

Comments (17)

• jackfre
    9 years ago

We have the 36" Kohler Whitehaven and have had zero issues with splash...other than the splash to the back. This is not the fault of the sink, but of the faucet. We couldn't be happier with the sink.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

" "In the photo it shows a very simple top with no bullnose , not your typical situation, and it looks like no overhang beyond the cabinet , which is a horrible idea, unless one likes the look of water stains all over the front of the cabinets."

What does an edge profile or its typicalness have to do with anything? The top and sink overhang the cabinet in the picture. I'm not seeing any problems.

• Vertise
    9 years ago

Don't see a problem with a flat edge as shown. Water will roll around and to the underside of a bullnose, versus straight down, getting onto your cabinets.

There are drip pieces that can go at the bottom of the sink. It's like a little ledge.

Good he is thinking!

• mariacentralcoast
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, the photos of the drip rail help! So the water doesn't drip from the drip rail onto the cabinets?

• live_wire_oak
    9 years ago

It should have an undercut to break the surface tension of the water and force it to drip on the floor.

• gyr_falcon
    9 years ago

I've never seen photos of that type of countertop drip rail under the farmhouse sink. I always learning something new in GW! It doesn't seem to be commonly done, is it?

• dcward89
    9 years ago

In all the kitchen pics I have looked at here and on Houzz I have nevers seen that drip rail under a farmhouse sink...or if I did see it I didn't notice it. We did not do the drip rail. We have a curved apron front farmhouse sink in stainless. It has been installed for several months now and we have had no issues with water dripping down the cabinet front. Maybe it helps that it is a deep sink, 10 inches...not sure but I love my sink like a pig loves mud!!!

• springroz
    9 years ago

I have the Whitehaven sink, and I DO have water damage on one of my cabinets. No drip rail. I cannot tell you exactly when or how it happened, but within 6 months of install. I handwash a LOT of pots and pans, and I figured that I had water run down out of a pot. The paint bubbled at the mortise joint on the top of the door. The cabinets are inset, and there is about a 2" frame above the door, but no damage there.

Someone else posted a picture that looked EXACTLY like mine, but thta was about a year ago.....

Nancy

• crl_
    9 years ago

Hmm, I currently have a tile in sink with the tile edge of the counter having a marine edge and I have streaks on the sink cabinet doors from water running down. Never had this problem with the apron front sink we had in our last house. Or any other sink for that matter.

My problem here appears to be that the sink is quite shallow so a lot of water splashes out and collects on the front edge until it runs down (or until I lean on the counter and get my shirt all wet at waist height).

At any rate, in my limited experience this isn't an issue of apron front or not apron front.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

My mom used to yell at me if I dripped and now my wife does, so I'm completely trained. Much more effective than a mechanical solution and no drips on the floor either.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

I have the Kohler Whitehaven also. Zero issue with splashing or dripping onto the cabinets. It is absolutely the most functional sink that I have ever had and was the best decision I made in my kitchen reno.

• threegraces
    9 years ago

Another with the 36" Whitehaven with no dripping unless I'm letting my 2 year-old "wash" the dishes.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

"Another with the 36" Whitehaven with no dripping unless I'm letting my 2 year-old "wash" the dishes."

threegraces:

Pictures please.

• Jonathan Crowley
    6 years ago

My wife and I gut renovated an old home. We installed a farmhouse sink in the kitchen. Water damage ruined the top of the two under-sink cabinet doors within 30-60 days.

We realized the problem was caused by the drying rack (place to the right of the sink). The water would run off the rack onto the counter top, which would then run over the countertop edge toward the sink - BUT because the seams on the sink + counter were not properly caulked, the water traveldc toward the front of the sink, and down the front of the apron. It would eventually drip on the upper part of the cabinet door. (Were you able to follow that?) It ruined the top of the two cabinet doors quickly.

We have since had the sides calked. It has eliminated a good deal of the water, but some still hits the cabinet door.

I bet we're replacing these again in a few months. Sigh.

• zippity1
    6 years ago

we have a kohler, don't know the name but certainly have had not trouble with the dripping issues you are talking about and i'm the messiest person ever.......

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    6 years ago

Jonathan Crowley:

So you had an improper sink installation causing your door failure?