Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
trudymom_gw

Anyone Have A Good Idea How To Hide Electrical Outlet In Island?

trudymom
15 years ago

New construction, granite countertop. I don't want to put a hole in the granite part of the island and was wondering if anyone hid the outlet somehow in their island? Pictures? Ideas?

Thank you!

Comments (15)

• rmkitchen
    15 years ago

If you go to this thread about stainless counters and scroll down to the pictures of gizmonike's kitchen, you can place your mouse over his / her pictures and it will take you to his / her photobucket link. There s/he shows how they hid their outlets in their island. Good luck!

• oldjgw
    15 years ago

We didn't hid them but I've see a sort of tilt out door/draw like you have in front of a sink with the outlet in the door/draw. I have no idea if it was custom built or what. Also check code stuff.

• rgillman
    15 years ago

I have plugmold under the overhang.

• ljsandler
    15 years ago

I used angled plugmold on both sides of my island. LOVE it!

• natesgramma
    15 years ago

My island has two outlets. One is mounted on a shelf where my microwave is (no pics), and the other is hidden under the overhang near the left corbel.

My DD has hers in a tilt out that looks like other drawer fronts on her island.

• debbie_2008
    15 years ago

"I don't want to put a hole in the granite part of the island"

Do you mean an outlet right in the granite on the top? If so, I don't think I would want that for safety purposes.

• mdmc
    15 years ago

We bowed the granite on the back side of our island. It has 2 large panels on the back just like the one one the side in this picture. We put the outlet on the horizontal part on the top of the panel. We put a dark brown outlet in and a cover the same color as the island. We had to look for it but we found one. You can barely see where the outlet is.I am very happy with the way it turned out. Here is a picture of the side of the island so you can see the top of the panel

• gardenburgher
    15 years ago

There are a couple of threads on "mockets", which are outlets that pop up out of the counter. I don't have them, but they look pretty cool.

1st thread about Mockets.

2nd thread about Mockets.

• ci_lantro
    15 years ago

We have small children so I would want them to be a bit harder to get to than just being on the side.

I believe that child safe outlets (built in shutter) are req'd in the latest NEC code.

Here is a link that might be useful: Child Safe Outlets

• rmlanza
    15 years ago

I know you said you don't want to put a hole in your granite and I understand that, I wasn't sure I did either. But I just wanted to say that I LOVE my Mockett! Mine's way off to one side of my island and doesn't interfere with prep work or rolling pastry dough or anything. My laptop sits on my island 95% of the time so this works perfectly for us. Here's a couple of pics:

HTH and good luck!
    Robin

• kaseki
    15 years ago

With respect to Mocketts: The inspectors who frequent the Mike Holt's forum agree (to the extent that they ever agree on anything) that the round Mockett shown above would not pass for the required outlet because it is attached by a plug and cord and not by fixed wiring. It is allowed to supplement the required outlet.

There is now (or soon?) a square Mockett (round hole in granite) that is available with "fixed" wiring in the form of flexible conduit. This is the PCS39 shown in Doug Mockett & Co.'s 2009 catalog, CAT21D.pdf, that I found somewhere on the web. Extract folows: "... the power outlets can come with either a 6 ft. cord or a 6 ft. hardwire for kitchen, lab or medical use. Hardwired version meets NEC requirements."

kas

• scubated
    15 years ago

We have 2 of the round mocketts waiting to be installed on our 2 penninsulas. Seemed a better option than placing it on the end of sides of them.

• khat
    15 years ago

Just an update to say that the Mockett pcs34 has been pre-approved by inspectors in 2 projects I'm doing in NW suburbs of Chicago. I don't know if the pcs39 would be approved as it doesn't mention having the ul approval for wet locations. I definitely agree that Mockett should provide a hardwired version of the pcs34 though. I brought the actual Mockett unit to the inspectors prior to the installation so they could see it and had them sign off on it. I was very fearful of having the holes cut in the granite and then being turned down. I am using three of them on one project and 2 on another.

• afr66
    15 years ago

We put our outlet in the bookcase part of the island - it is now covered by cookbooks and, thereby, both invisible and inaccessible (I've got 2 little ones myself).