Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
3sfboys

UltraCraft vs. Crystal Cabinets?

3SFBoys
10 years ago

Hello,

we are getting ready to do a full kitchen remodel in our 1924 Edwardian in San Francisco. I am comparing cabinets from both UltraCraft and Crystal cabinets. Both are semi-custom, all wood construction with soft close doors.

Does anyone have insight on which line of cabinets would be better? The price is similar. Any advice (for or against either brand) would be greatly appreciated!

Comments (4)

• SparklingWater
    10 years ago

I've actually seen both in good size displays. Ultracraft gives you the advantage of extra space via frameless cabinets. Maybe Crystal offers a european frameless too though which you are considering.

Having said that, I'm into cabinet finish and how it's done. If you are installing painted cabinets, I'd say Crystal over Ultracraft for finish. GL.

• Laura
    10 years ago

We are in the midst of our kitchen reno and are using Crystal frameless cabinets (mostly painted and a hutch in cherry). Overall, I am very impressed - the finish is beautiful! There were a few minor imperfections (I am SUPER fussy) and our KD had the Crystal rep come to our house to look. They are sending replacement drawers/doors - no hassle, very good customer service.

We are in Marin, so if you need a reco for a KD/showroom, feel free to message me - happy to provide more details.

Good luck!

• angela12345
    10 years ago

We have UltraCraft cabinets and have been super happy with them. We have them in a vacation rental home that has had use by probably over a thousand people in the last 2 years. They have held up great so far and look brand new still. I have posted many times about how happy I am with these cabinets.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.google.com/search?num=100&q=angela12345+UltraCraft+site%3AGardenweb.com+-%22clippings+by%22

• sfong06
    8 years ago

I've used Crystal Cabinets for two remodels. One in 2009 which went quite well and agains in 2014 which was a total disaster. Here is my summary;

We are nearing the end of a disastrous experience with
    Crystal Cabinets. I choose Crystal for my remodel after a positive experience
    with Crystal cabinets back in 2009 when I remodeled our Lake Tahoe Vacation
    home. This time around, the experience was horrific, with numerous defects in
    the Crystal cabinets ranging from paint chips, dents, unpainted surfaces, wrong
    dimensions, warped doors, shipping damage, long delays in correcting the
    numerous defects and horrible customer service. My cabinets were ordered in
    October of 2014. They were delivered in February 2015. We ordered cabinets with
    the signature Bisque paint after being convinced that Crystals paint would
    outlast any finish that could be applied in California. A big part of our decision
    to go with painted cabinets from Crystal was the durability of the paint.

The cabinets arrived with very thin paint, with over half
    the edges showing the underlying wood. They arrived in cardboard boxes with no
    protective covering other than a thin plastic bag. Several cabinets had dents,
    many more had paint wear through.

A number of our cabinets had to be returned to Minnesota for
    repair and repainting. With total disregard for the customer. Crystal took over
    six weeks to return the “repaired cabinets”. The returned cabinets exhibited
    many of the same issues. We still had numerous paint problems, especially with
    thin paint on all cabinet edges. We had dented posts that came back with a bit
    of bondo which clearly did not rectify the problem. Those posts had to be
    reordered and we had to wait another 5 weeks for the new posts. When the new
    posts arrived, they were too small, the paint was a different color and sheen.
    More new posts were ordered and we waited another 5 weeks. Obviously, no one
    inspected our cabinets before shipping.

Meanwhile, we installed the other cabinets only to find that
    the bench seating cabinets would not fit with the adjacent cabinets because
    Crystal did not follow the spec measurements for the bench and as a result the
    bench seating cabinets were made too deep and would not fit next to the
    decorative post of the adjacent cabinet. The bench seating cabinet had to be
    modified by removing the back and cutting off ½ inch off the depth. We also
    found warped cabinet doors, more paint chips on doors, paint wear through on
    panels that had not even been used, etc.

In all, our remodel job was delayed for almost three months
    as a direct result of Crystals extremely poor quality assurance and even worst
    customer service. My contractors have been delayed repeatedly and I get to pay
    for the costs of these delays, in addition to living without a kitchen for an
    additional three months.

At this point in time, (July 18) I am still waiting for
    correct decorative panels for my island, replacement doors for the chipped
    paint and warped doors issues. When those arrive, I will again have to pay my
    contractor to come out and install the previously defective items.

In summary, I made the mistake of my life going with Crystal
    cabinets. The company needs to do a thorough review of its quality assurance
    program (if indeed it has one) and seriously revamp their customer service
    department. In the world of construction and especially remodeling, it is
    simply unacceptable to wait 6 weeks for cabinet problems to be corrected. It is
    unacceptable to ship out obviously defective merchandise, especially a second
    or third time when you know the customer has already been waiting too long.
    Because of these problems and associated delays, my contractor has billed me
    over $5000 to compensate for the workarounds, construction delays, stops and
    starts. I can’t say I blame him. Time is money and these problems have cost his
    crew lots of time.

I fully expect warranty issues with the paint as it is so
    thinly applied that it most certainly will not stand the test of time. If I had
    any alternative, I would not have installed these cabinets. Now I am stuck with
    dealing with Crystal in the event the paint fails or completely wears through.

In summary,

I would strongly advise any prospective customer to look elsewhere