Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jbell03151958

Kitchen window treatments.....

jbell03151958
11 years ago

I have just finished our kitchen, minus the backsplash (coming!), but am wondering what you all have done for window treatments. I have a large picture window and 2 casements in the kitchen. Was thinking of valances....but would that look funny? I'd love it if you'd show me what you've done...Thanks!

Comments (11)

• cakelly1226
    11 years ago

Here is what I did in my narrow galley- I wanted it to blend with the wall.

Here is the empty garden window I left alone- only time I really need it as a West facing window is in the summer from 4-6 pm so I may leave it alone.

• mpagmom (SW Ohio)
    11 years ago

I don't have great pictures (I just hung them a couple days ago), but I'm going to respond anyway because few people seem to have window treatments. I have large west-facing windows and I absolutely need to cut down the late afternoon/evening sun in my kitchen/dining area. I have bamboo-like roman shades that pretty much match my hardwood floor stain. They filter the light and the view and keep the sun from scorching us. When it isn't sunny I pull the kitchen shades all the way up into the header so it is similar to a valance. Here is a picture in the full sunlight.

• badgergal
    11 years ago

The sitting area of my kitchen has south, east and west windows so I also needed window treatments that would help block the sun on hot days. The woven woods do let some light through so you don't feel like you are in the dark. I like the fact that they also provide textural interest and let some air through if the windows are open. I think that these types of blinds could work in most any kitchen

• localeater
    11 years ago

I think it is ironic that the three people who so kindly responded to this post all have a variation on natural woven shades. Maybe there is a correlation between kindness and this type of window treatment?
    PS I love them all. And while I may not do any window treatment at all since we are so removed from the world, if I do it may very well also be a variation of the natural woven shade. How easy are they to clean?

• badgergal
    11 years ago

Localeater, my window treatments were purchased when we moved into our house 10 years ago. I was so happy that I could still use them with my new kitchen and my new furniture because I just didn't want to spend any more money and I still liked them.
    They are very easy to take care of. Every now and then I wipe them down with a Pledge Grab It Dry Cloth and that's it. They look as good as the day I put them up.

• cakelly1226
    11 years ago

I LOVE mine! I also got woven shades for my eat in kitchen area(posting that later as I just finished that project:)
    They are super easy to keep clean so far. My DH loves them too for some reason. He said they are one of his favorite parts of the kitchen reno.

• nini804
    11 years ago

Hi! I am sorry this is only part of a pic of my kitchen windows...my professional pics of my kitchen that my photographer friend took after our build was completed were before we got the plantation shutters. I have these on all 5 windows in my kitchen, and in all bedrooms in our house. I love them. They are solid wood and great for adjusting the amount of light. They even help insulate in the winter!

• Ilene Perl
    11 years ago

I also have woven wood shades, wanted them because they are over a window, and didn't want to worry about splashing.

• francoise47
    11 years ago

I love the natural woven shades and plantation shutters posted above.
    I chose to make cafe curtains. They are easy to make, easy to wash, and easy to change out with a different fabric every few years when I want a change.
    I'm considering adding some woven roller shades for additional light control and because as I get older I find "black" windows at night depressing.

• francoise47
    11 years ago

I love the natural woven shades and plantation shutters posted above.
    I chose to make cafe curtains. They are easy to make, easy to wash, and easy to change out with a different fabric every few years when I want a change.
    I'm considering adding some woven roller shades for additional light control and because as I get older I find "black" windows at night depressing.

• laughablemoments
    11 years ago

We're not at a finished kitchen stage, but we do have a valance on our picture window, so here you go. : )