Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
removing glaze from porcelain tile

Posted by jillybeanstalk (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 27, 08 at 22:33

The tile store mistakenly ordered a glazed porcelain tile instead of the matte finish I'd requested, and I didn't catch the slip until the floor was already installed. I can't stand the shine - it clashes with the cottage look I was going for. The store rep is looking into a product he says can remove the glaze and restore the tile to its matte finish, but I'm worried it will damage the tile or not work. On the other hand, ripping up the tile and installing new tile would be more costly than the tiles and I'm guessing the tile store will fight footing that bill. Any advice/input on removing the glaze would be greatly greatly appreciated -- I am so disappointed and frustrated!! Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: removing glaze from porcelain tile

When did you notice that the tile wasn't correct. Was it after the installation? If you weren't there while it was being installed, then I'd fight it out with the store and have them provide you with the product you ordered. It seems that it's their mistake, and they should rectify it.

I'm not sure I'd put any trust in a product that can remove the glaze from the tile. I'm not an expert by any means, but I wonder how the tile would appear after time. Even the matte finish I'm sure has some kind of protection on it, and removing the glaze may leave the tile open to staining.

o

Definitely sounds like the tile store's fault - surely they will do something about it. Re. products you could use: check out the John Bridge tile forum for some good advice, or perhaps Bill V. will wander through and see this thread.

o

First of all I'm really sorry about my double post (also under "taking shine off porcelain tile") - this is my first time posting and I was a little confused! Thanks so much for your responses. The thing I'm worried about is that I called in the order for the matte sample I'd seen and they wrote up the order for the glazed version of the tile - I then ok'd the order over email, because all that was listed was the tile number, which I had no way of knowing was different from the sample (there was nothing that said 'glazed' or 'shine'), especially since I didn't even know there was any other finish available for the tile. So technically, I ok'd an order for the glazed. Also, I don't think they'd pay for the demo and installation, since wouldn't they only be responsible for the tile price itself?? So frustrating. Any thoughts? Also it looks like Bill V. responded to my other post, so thanks for the tip and for the forum link. I'll keep you posted!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here