Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenhaven_gw

Need help with beadboard height on end wall

greenhaven
9 years ago

Almost done cutting beadboard! Wall color is on hold for now, but I have it narrowed down to three excellent choices. Found my perfect inspiration color, and will probably try to duplicate it. The actual color used on that room does not work here, but I am still trying to capture that tone!

Beach Style Kitchen by Charlotte Interior Designers & Decorators Loftus Design, LLC

ANYway, the reason for this post is that I want to know how high to put my beadboard on the end wall. I can run the beadboard straight out at the same height as all the rest, make it five foot high (middle line) which is where the panel sheet is already cut, or I can piece in at the bottom to bring it up to about six feet high (top line.)

Whaddya think?

Comments (39)

• Lisa
    9 years ago

This may be a silly question (and forgive me if it is!), but have you considered NOT doing the beadboard on that wall at all?

• GenB
    9 years ago

I wouldn't do it, either. I think side splashes are a bit dated, and if you can't do a full space (entire wall, or between uppers and lowers) you visually chop it, and it's less pleasing to the eye.

• GenB
    9 years ago

Just found this:

Here is a link that might be useful: Here's a whole blog post about it

This post was edited by GenB on Wed, Aug 13, 14 at 23:27

• Gracie
    9 years ago

She plans to wrap it around the corner into the hallway as seen in a photo I found of a similar kitchen with a chair rail the height of the top line. However, in that photo, there was a door, not an open hallway, so there was a natural stopping place for the beadboard at the door molding. My thought was to bring it down the hall if it led to the garage and add pegs near the garage door. But it's not a garage hall.

Sooooo....I'm not sure where you'd stop the beadboard. I know you said past the bathroom/future bedroom, but I think you'd need to do the other side of the hall too, and there's no door molding to stop it at on that side.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

It's not a side splash. It's beadboard wainscoting. Greenhaven will need to post the photo.

• Mags438
    9 years ago

Will follow this. I have a side splash area that I don't know what to do...that's if I get out of ABB.

• romy718
    9 years ago

Here's greenhaven's inspiration photo for the beadboard wainscoting.

This post was edited by romy718 on Thu, Aug 14, 14 at 9:20

• romy718
    9 years ago

Edit: double post

{{!gwi}}

This post was edited by romy718 on Thu, Aug 14, 14 at 1:05

• athomeinvagw
    9 years ago

I have seen your other threads and your kitchen is looking fantastic!
    This is jmo, either do the entire room with beadboard wainscoting, that includes the eating area and the hall, or only do the backsplash. Picking and choosing walls for wainscoting makes no sense.

This post was edited by athomeinva on Thu, Aug 14, 14 at 8:41

• Bridget19
    9 years ago

I personally wouldn't do it right now...if you decide to do the hallway then, then add it...but save the $$ right now. That's just my .02

• Gracie
    9 years ago

I went back and looked through your threads and also thought about beadboard in the dining area, in which case I'd do the lower height. The other issue I noticed is the baseboard isn't white to match the beadboard.

Pretty shade of green.

• greenhaven
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh, all the trim is getting painted, for sure! Same color as cabs. I am completely undecided about beadboard in the dining room, cannot think about it quite yet, gotta stay focused! I did plan on doing a beadboard focal point in my coat area/pseudo-mudroom, and I think that will be enough, design-wise.

Maybe for now I will just hold off on the beadboard on that end run, I can add it any time I want. But that end wall seems so....unfinished....without something there. I love the finished look of romy's inspiration pic.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

So do I, that's why I posted it. ;)

I saw some pretty kitchen photos where the beadboard was taken up to the ceiling. It made me think of beadboard on your soffits. Would that be too much BB with your island, or maybe just too innovative? Maybe there's a reason you don't see soffits beadboarded? Is there room around your window to beadboard to the ceiling? You'd definitely need crown molding.

Anyway, let's see how it looks when it's painted. After looking through your latest pics, I was struck by the kitchen reading black and white and think you need the paint in there somewhere. Not sure I'd paint the soffit to match the cabinets, but I don't hate soffits.

• athomeinvagw
    9 years ago

The inspiration pic is from a kitchen that has beadboard throughout the kitchen and extended into the dining area, albeit it at odd varying heights and a strange stopping point.

Here is a link that might be useful: the inspiration kitchen

• Gracie
    9 years ago

Here's a photo of BB to the ceiling. They didn't use crown molding. Nice green paint too.

[Traditional Kitchen[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2107) by Haverford General Contractors Orion General Contractors

• greenhaven
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I mean MAYFLOWERS posted, lol! ;o)

There is definitely room around the window, but only about an inch and a half. And if I go to the ceiling and do the beadboard in cab color I lose the opportunity to introduce an off-setting color into the kitchen. Same concept on the end wall, and I think it needs color.

The soffit is already the same color as the cabs. I did, actually, consider the beadboard on the soffit. It is not off the table but I will probably not do it. I think it will be a little much with the island, but again, that is something that can be added later. I have also not rued out painting the soffit the wall color, it just all depends.

Despite my earlier adamancy I am going back for more sample colors. I'll post one more time with those!

athominva, THANK you for posting the rest of those pictures! I was disappointed, though, not to see pics of her end wall (kitchen part is nearly an exact replica of my kitchen layout). I really wonder how she ties the beadboard trim in to the cabinets. Her cabinets go all the way to the window trim, which leaves no need for top trim on the bead board, so maybe the top trim on the wall beadboard just dead-ends at the cabinets.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

Here's a photo of an actual soffit with BB. Notice how they trimmed the corner between cabinet and soffit. Nice transition. I think it's gorgeous.

I agree it needs color. Hey, how about painting all the BB a soft, neutral green? ;)

[Traditional Kitchen[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2107) by Miami Interior Designers & Decorators GIL WALSH INTERIORS

• live_wire_oak
    9 years ago

Wainscoting is traditionally done to chair rail height, which is 30"-42" above the floor. It's to protect the most trafficked areas from wear and tear. 42" would be a good height.

• texasgal47
    9 years ago

Just my opinion, do not continue bb onto the side wall. Without door frames, there is no good stopping point. That was an important point I missed earlier.

• greenhaven
    Original Author
    9 years ago

"I agree it needs color. Hey, how about painting all the BB a soft, neutral green? ;)"

Woman, you are trying to kill me dead, aren't you? Well, you ain't getting any of the insurance money, so you can quit now, lol!!! I promise to revisit the color on the beadboard question when it is all up on the wall. And I do love the bb on the soffit, but it definitely will take a bunch of fine trim work that I cannot even consider at this point in time. But I will leave it on my detail list!

"Wainscoting is traditionally done to chair rail height, which is 30"-42" above the floor. It's to protect the most trafficked areas from wear and tear. 42" would be a good height."

Thanks so much for your input! Yes, there is a traditional height for wainscoting and chair rails, but there are definitely other considerations. I cannot tie in a 42" high chair rail on that end wall. ;o) But isn't it awesome when we can turn tradition on it's ear sometimes?

TexasGal, thanks! I do agree that if I do the bb on that wall I will have to take it down the hall. It would look absolutely ridiculous from the POV from the living room opening, no matter how well I trimmed it out.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

In the pic with the blue fish plate, notice how they did the corner cabinets. I think that's just standard soffit that overhangs the cabinets. Wouldn't you just attach the beadboard and put a thin trim on the bottom and then trim the ceiling? I love that look and would do the white BB on the BS and soffit, then add your blue-green colors with accessories. I think that will make it special. Maybe you could hang a fish plate over your stove. :P Seriously, I'd hang a colorful plate on the beadboard there.

No insurance money? Can I at least inherit your S&P shakers?

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    9 years ago

Couldn't you use a simple corner molding on the hall side of the little wall (when you wrap the BB)? That would give you a stopping place and a finished look, and perhaps echo the trim on the door opposite.

That inspiration color (1st pic) -- yes!

• romy718
    9 years ago

Greenhaven - at least May_flowers isn't suggesting you put bead board on the ceiling.

• 293summer
    9 years ago

I know this is not your color and it doesn't address your question, but on the top of beadboard backsplash I thought it looked great. Maybe someone will find it inspirational. Wish I could offer advise on your dilemma, but I know whatever you choose to do it will look great.

• daisychain01
    9 years ago

Greenhaven, are you using the real wood beadboard or the big sheets of panelling made to look like bead board? I ask because of finishing the outside corners.

• greenhaven
    Original Author
    9 years ago

may_flowers, yes, I hearby bequeath to you, upon the event of my passing into the eternal Beyond, my cheap, Chinese S&P salt shakers, LMBO!

romy, she hasn't...yet...but you KNOW she has thought it, lol! I, uhhh, may or may not have considered it myself, once or twice. If I do it will not be until after we get all our electrical done.

raee, that was my first thought, I even bought some corner trim just for that purpose. Buuut....(obviously 'before' pics!)

See this view,

then this view?

As you walk from the living room into the kitchen/DR you are faced head-on with that end-wall, and it will be glaringly obvious that the end of the wall will be trimmed (and two colors) and the hallway one color. But it would be okay for temporary as I address more pressing projects before finishing the hallway.

swtceleb, do you mean the crown molding? I do really like that, and probably will do that, if nothing else. Man, I can only imagine the wasted wood when I tackle my first crown molding project, ha ha!

• Gracie
    9 years ago

Yup, I did!

See, that's not too much soffit to beadboard. I think I see what daisy chain is asking--real wood BB has a finished edge and you could possibly just end it on an outside corner w/o trim. I still like the idea of going to the ceiling on the kitchen side wall. I also wonder about just making an open cubby cabinet over the fridge and putting BB on the inside back and on the outside so that BB starts where your kitchen starts, on the side of the fridge. It would be like a soffit over the fridge, but open in front. Will post a pic of my sister's.

I'm just brainstorming. Sometimes it triggers ideas from others, even if my ideas suck.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

So the fridge is besides the DW now, but the soffit stops before the fridge. So somehow I'd want to tie the fridge into the rest of the kitchen, beadboard soffit or not. Maybe you need to extend the soffit, hang a cabinet under it like my sister's open cabinet, and use a beadboard fridge panel--floor to ceiling BB. A display cabinet also gives you a nicer view than an over-fridge cabinet from your entryway.

This post was edited by may_flowers on Thu, Aug 14, 14 at 21:42

• greenhaven
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I love the "stream of conciousness" thought process, lol! I definitely have to sort of design-on-fly with this, since I jumped into it so quickly.

Re: above the fridge:

I scored a super-cool antique wooden soapbox with a hinged lid, with a beautiful patina! I am going to use that above the fridge to draw in more wood, but beadboard up there would not be a bad idea anyway.

Would love to see a pic.

I have totally put off doing much at all in the kitchen today for chewing on this end wall thing, but I have had a lot of Other Stuff going on, too. I think I have to break out the Lowe's planner again and see of I can do some mock-ups. I can visualize all options, but no one thing over another seems outstandingly like the right thing to do.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

edit

This post was edited by may_flowers on Thu, Aug 14, 14 at 21:43

• prairiemom61
    9 years ago

I put up BB in our mud room, to a finished height of 59". I used a corner trim piece that works and looks great. I'll post another view too.

• prairiemom61
    9 years ago

Here is another view of the BB. It does end at a cased door frame, but if it didn't I wouldn't hesitate to use the corner trim there also.
    I hope this helps.

• Mags438
    9 years ago

I did something like prairiemom pictured. I put thin trim on the inside corners. It worked for us too.

• greenhaven
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That looks like a pretty good height, thanks for the pics, prairiemom! I like it a lot! I think it looks better to "come out of the cabs" higher than the bottom of the uppers. I can't explain why, I think coming straight out from the bottom of the uppers looks "cheap" for lack of a better word or ability to explain my feeling.

I got most of the BB attached, the last two pieces are just tacked because I ran out of construction adhesive. I knew better when I was at the store and for whatever reason only bought one.

I will cut and tack up BB for the end wall and see how it looks compared to nekkid.

• prairiemom61
    9 years ago

Sounds like a good plan. Yes, the 60" height just seems more pleasing to the eye. Cheaper? No, but just whacking the boards in half to save money just seems to cut the wall in half. Not a good look. I'm looking forward to seeing your final pics! It's been fun to follow you, diy in the time you have here and there.

• greenhaven
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks! And, well, I am done, SO done, with "here and there." I am pushing through until this puppy is done!

• Elraes Miller
    9 years ago

My BB is finished like Prairie. At first it was going to end at the cabinets, but looks so much better finished off on the wall. I didn't measure the height, just a visual, but it ended up as shown in the pics.