Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
labbie_gw

Need backsplash ideas - natural cherry with busy granite

labbie
11 years ago

I've read through so many backsplash posts my head is swimming. Huge thank you to this board for all the help thus far, and hope you can help us zero in on a backsplash choice.

We love our granite and want it to be the star, so want to keep backsplash simple. Thought was to pick up on the cream in the granite to keep the kitchen light (wood cabinets and soon to be cork flooring). Doesn't sound hard, right?! We do like the natural look of honed travertine or marble but fear the natural variation may prove too busy.

We don't want to go very contemporary, but so far are drawn to the 2x8 tile as an option for something different than the usual subway.

Appreciate any thoughts- thank you!

Kitchen today (floor will be cork, pendants tbd)

Close up of Golden Crystal granite, hard to get good photo. Rust, creams and grays/black.

Another shot with some samples up. Ivory honed travertine and berkshire honed marble (on the random strip mosaic).

Comments (23)

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

We don't want to go very contemporary, but so far are drawn to the 2x8 tile as an option for something different than the usual subway.

What do you think of my solution, which is to use good ol' 4.25x4.25 tiles, but set in a brick pattern? Here is Melle_sacto's lovely example:

• labbie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I like that 4.25x4.25 staggered layout too. We haven't brought home any cermaic or porcelain tile samples yet- trying to find something that has slight variations in color, which is a feature we like in the stone materials. On Saturday's trek through the tile shop nothing caught our eye but we're going back this week.

• gardenpixie
    11 years ago

Would you consider the largest tiles you can find in the colour of your choice? That way there will be more uniformity and no lines to detract from the beautiful granite. A soft gold or cream, maybe, in a plain tile, with no movement of its own.

I am a Plain Jane and that is not for everyone.

• ginny20
    11 years ago

labbie, your kitchen is looking beautiful! I second both angie and gardenpixie's suggestions. IMO simple is better, and fewer lines are better so as not to fight with your lovely granite. I wouldn't go smaller than 4"

• pawa
    11 years ago

Wow, your cabinets look nice!
    I like the square and 2 X 8 tiles you picked out.
    I don't think 2 X 8 will be too busy.
    The squares look nice too.
    Lots of people do both, with the squares on bottom and top, and little tiles in the middle. That would add some subtle interest.

• ellendi
    11 years ago

Travertine would be too busy. Have you looked at Grazia Rixi in crema? It is a crackle tile, very simple. It was the answer foray of us here on GW.

• labbie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the comments thus far. We are going to go pick up several more samples and take it from there. Good point on the larger tiles, since we would prefer to minimize the grout lines or anything making it too 'busy'. I really like the look of the large format tiles, although I see them in more contemporary style kitchens(?)
    The hardest thing is finding the right color- I will definitely check out the Grazia Rixi.

• tadhg555
    11 years ago

We spent a while looking for something to go with our rather marbled soapstone and ended up deciding on Campogalliano Strand porcelain white tiles for our backsplash. They are large (12x24) and very elegant.

The striations aren't as intense in real life - it's more subtle (at least ours are).

Here is a link that might be useful: Pics of Strand tile

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

Tad-
    Your kitchen colors are almost identical to ours. I am on my phone so harder to send pictures but surf for a2gemini and take a peak- guess what- grazia Rixi crema! Beach accent and a few copper pieces over the cooktop.
    We even have an angle cab like yours - but different location.

We hope to instal it on Monday!

• desertsteph
    11 years ago

the veins/variations in those tiles will be much magnified when that whole section of wall is covered with them.

I'd go very plain - maybe just a cream in those larger tiles. less grout, less problems cleaning it. less grout lines also equals less busy.

• eam44
    11 years ago

GR has 2.5x 5 tile format too. It's not my favorite tile, and I don't think the color is quite right.

I would use Fireclay 3" x 12" field tile from the Debris series, gloss with engobe in Pampas or Adobe Brown. Crazy beautiful - just like your kitchen.

If you really want no grout lines, they have a series called Claymonde Ceramic Sheets available in two sizes: 5 3/4" x 35 1/4" sheet and 11 11/16" x 35 1/4" sheet. I've never seen these in person, but the smaller size could work for you - outlets might be a hassle. I'd go with Light Celadon from this series. Images follow.

Here is a link that might be useful: Claymonde Sheets

• eam44
    11 years ago

Pampas Grass

• eam44
    11 years ago

Adobe Brown

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

I am on a real computer and can see your counter top better - I think I would play off the gray tones in the countertop - so skip my crema tile!
    Looking beautiful - welcome to the ABB club!

• krabbypatty
    11 years ago

Our cherry cabinets are a little darker, but our colors are similar. So here's what we did, if it helps. The filed tile is a ceramic made to look like tumbled marble (so a $ saver). Pencil tile is tumble marble. Accents behind range are handmade:

• labbie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I swear I keep typing responses and either computer is eating them or I'm not hitting submit (wasn't there just a thread on kitchen remodels making you crazy?!!)

Anyway, I appreciate everyone's response- a2 I can't wait to see your install. EAM, I've long admired the fireclay and the closest dealer is over an hour away, but I'm going to request some samples. I do like the warmer colors you posted.

I'm looking forward to being in the non-ABB club, but these things apparently take time. I never would have thought this would be the toughest choice.

• claybabe
    11 years ago

Over 5 years in ABB club for me. Don't sweat it.

• slonewby
    11 years ago

If you are considering the Fireclay debris series, please call them and get a good selection of samples....there is a great deal of variation in that series from tile to tile so it might end up being too busy for your granite. I would stay away from anything crackled or crazed personally. Your granite is lovely so go simple. We had the same dilemma with a white kitchen and bianco antico granite (busy)....I wanted white subway, hubby wanted for it not to look too sterile. We finally decided on a cream subway with a beveled edge...the bevel made all the difference ...it softened the look and really let the granite shine~ Here's a pic:

Good luck!

• pricklypearcactus
    11 years ago

Wow, your kitchen is beautiful. Your cabinets are particularly stunning! I personally worry that a stone tile would be too much with that lovely granite. I think your instincts to stay with a light tile are spot on. You could try a light gray or light cream tile in a variety of sizes. Maybe a large (much larger than subway) rectangle? Something that is a little different than subway, but that does not scream modern. I like the idea of a 2x8 as well.

• steph2000
    11 years ago

Ok, I'm no backsplash expert over here, but I have to say... your granite seems to have a lovely green/blue in it that would really complement both the granite and the cabinets beautifully.

• mjocean
    11 years ago

krabbypatty,

Who made your tile which looks like tumbled marble? Does it come in larger sizes? I liked it very much.

• kellienoelle
    11 years ago

Everything is looking great so far! Love your cabinets and obviously, that granite is stunning. Add me to the club on finding the backsplash decision to be very daunting. My granite is pretty busy, and initially I was all over the place regarding what I wanted, from plain subway to crackle to accent pieces to...well you get the idea.

We finally settled on plain, quite plain, and I am happy with the choice. We went with 3x12 porcelain tile with the thinnest grout lines possible. In contrast with you, I was fine with it steering more contemporary, and was actually looking for that with the shape I selected. In reality though, I don't think that it looks so contemporary, but your opinion may differ.

• TxMarti
    11 years ago

Labbie, your granite is gorgeous and looks great with your cabinets. I cannot believe these words are coming out of my mouth fingers, but I'd go with an offwhite or beige subway so it doesn't detract from the granite.

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler