Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jlk1016

98% finished kitchen

jlk1016
15 years ago

Hi there - I have only posted a few times, but have lurked a ton, and learned a lot here (if only I'd found it before I started instead of halfway through!). My kitchen's not nearly as grand as some that are here, but thought you guys might enjoy seeing it anyway. Note there are occasional odd spots from a camera lens issue, sorry about that.

Kitchen from eat-in area:

Kitchen from adjacent family room:

Kitchen/family room view from entry to area:

Close up of my lovely granite:

And close up of my lovely floors:

The cabinets are Shiloh, maple shaker style in hazelnut with a mocha glaze. Granite is Typhoon Bordeaux. My floor (which is throughout the home, my favorite part of this full remodel) is BR 111 engineered Amendoim in 5" planks. Backsplash is simple travertine and sink is an antracite Silgranit, both thanks to things I viewed in this forum; faucet is a Delta Bellissimo.

Oh, and hey, I also redid a small guest bath - off topic but just for fun; I love love love the black oak cabs and the granite vanity and really wanted them for the kitchen but it wouldn't have worked with my floors . . .

I'm still finishing up remodeling in other areas of the house but the kitchen has been near done for a month or so (just need a cab trim piece and a new eat-in table) and I finally got around to taking pics. Only wish I'd taken before pictures because the change is crazy . . . oh well. Hope this isn't picture overload and thanks for all the great info and ideas I have gotten here.

Comments (27)

• janran
    15 years ago

Very attractive and functional kitchen. Love the open layout. I wish I could see your backsplash better - anymore pictures of it?

Enjoy it!

• rmkitchen
    15 years ago

I am so excited for you! The open layout is wonderful and I love the way whoever's in the kitchen is able to be part of the action. And I agree, those black oak cabs are pretty special ....

• jlk1016
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks - I love the open layout too. I haven't taken any close up pictures of the backsplash, I probably should. It is just plain light colored travertine, 4" squares, that my tile guy did in a simple pattern with one row of diamond insets. I wanted not to compete with the granite and to pick up on one of the neutral colors in the granite . . . and I was sick of making kitchen decisions at the time of the backsplash!

• vicnsb
    15 years ago

Congrats on a beautiful kitchen!
    Your granite is really pretty and your floors look great!
    Enjoy...

• susanlynn2012
    15 years ago

jlk1016, I LOVE your BR-111 Engineered Amendoim 5" plank floors! I thank you so much for posting the pictures since now I am leaning towards the 5" width. The floors look great! I also love your granite and cabinets so much.

• raenjapan
    15 years ago

Those floors really are stunning. Beautiful home.

• jlk1016
    Original Author
    15 years ago

lynn2006, I am so enamored of my floors. It took me forever to choose a floor but once I saw a sample of the 5" amendoim I was sold. My flooring guy had never worked with it before and raved about it; halfway through the project he came in one day and told me that he had a family looking at flooring an entire 3500 sq foot new home and he had recommended this wood to them because he thought the look and quality was so good.

The hardwood floors are the one thing on my entire remodel where I went wayyy over my initial budget and had to cut back elsewhere (even though I think this is reasonably priced, I just didn't initially know what I was going to choose and spend), but they are the thing I like the best, so that works out nicely.

• laxsupermom
    15 years ago

Your granite is gorgeous. Nice choice leaving the backsplash the same type of tile to let the granite shine. Your floors are beautiful and I agree those black cabs are gorgeous. Thanks for including the bath, too.

p.s. I love that you kept the magnets on your frig for the pic.

• jessie21
    15 years ago

very very pretty kitchen and bath!! thanks for sharing. I actually think the way you did your backsplash is better than most...it's a simple, understated, yet beautiful backdrop for your gorgeous granite and cabs, rather than a competing distraction. nice!!

• bbtondo
    15 years ago

Love your kitchen! Is that a Maytag Gemini electric stove with the 2 ovens? I have one and LOVE my second little oven! Enjoy your new space, you really did a beautiful job.
    Barb

• User
    15 years ago

It has all turned out so beautifully. Those floors are really lovely ! And I too love those black cabs in the 1/2 BR...wow ! c

• cat_mom
    15 years ago

What a great space! Love the open feel and the family room right there--we flip-flopped our LR and DR in order to achieve something similar.

Your granite is gorgeous and you did a great job choosing a bs that's very nice but allows the granite to shine!

• sophie_blue
    15 years ago

Congrats, your new kitchen looks amazing!

I see you have the double-oven range. I'm thinking about getting one as well. Have you been using the smaller oven much? How do you like it? Is it like a regular oven or more like a broiler?

• boysrus2
    15 years ago

It's a beautiful kitchen! I really like the warm color and clean style of your new cabs. And great touch putting in the serving counter/buffet with the open shelf. I have a little short counter extension rounding the wall to my breakfast area, and I've found it so functional to hold bowls of food and platters when we have all 6 chairs at our table full for dinner.

Your typhoon bordeaux is gorgeous and the show stopper. No, not too many pics, at least not for me. I too would like to see more of the backsplash.

The bathroom looks great. I'd love to re-do or paint the cabs in one of my 22 yr old bathrooms to make it "current". Thanks for showing.

• remodelfla
    15 years ago

I absolutely love the open welcoming feel of your home. It's exactly the vibe I'm hoping to achieve in the home we're remodeling. I'm trying to work within the footprint we have and using as much of the existing plumbing as possible. You inspire me that it will be achievable. Our ultimate goal is a debt free early retirement. I so want a warm cozy welcoming home where we maximize and enjoy our inside space as much as we will our spacious (for South Florida) outdoor areas. I hope it comes out as wonderfully as yours! Congratulations!

• Laurie
    15 years ago

Your granite & cabinets look great together!..both in the kitchen and in the bathroom. I saved your wood flooring info. for reference in the future for our home.

• kkupstate
    15 years ago

Wonderful! Great job - what a beautiful and functional kitchen. I love love love the granite! Good thing I didn't see that one before I picked mine or I would have had another decision!

Congrats and enjoy!

• jlk1016
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Aw, thanks all for the very nice comments - especially on the backsplash which was a tedious process to decide and second guessed many times. But I have ended up really liking it.

To those who asked about my range: it is a GE Profile double oven. I love, love the small top oven, and it is used for almost all everyday cooking. Deeper dish stuff goes in the larger oven, and/or it's great to have the two separate ovens for two things at once. (I am not the primary cook in the home but the cook also has only good things to say about it.)

And boysrus2, the little buffet - we call it the "breakfast bar" - is another of my favorite things. It holds all kinds of stuff that is integral to my four-year-old's breakfast foods and snacks and quickie foods, right there next to the table, at his level to get in. That was my cabinet people's idea and I think it's fantastic.

I love seeing everyone's kitchens here, so it's fun to post one finally!

• susanlynn2012
    15 years ago

jlk1016, I love your floor so much! I keep looking at the pictures and think the color is warm and not too dark. I love the wood grain that is so interesting and not boring. Why did you choose the 5" over the less expensive 3.25" Br-111 Amendoim. I am trying to make up my mind but I am so glad I had a chance to see pictures of your floor that I just find so beautiful.

• susanlynn2012
    15 years ago

Bumping this up so jlk1016 may see my question since I keep going back and forth between the two widths trying to make up my mind.

• mike_r_2000
    15 years ago

Wow congratulations. It seems so warm and inviting. I think part of that is that it reminds me of the kitchen at the cottage I'd go to in the summer when I was a kid.

• slc2053
    15 years ago

jlk1016

Do you mind providing diminsions of your kitchen, specifically the length of your peninsula and the distance between it and your other set of cabs on your range wall?

We have the same set up planned and I'm debating a few things and dimensions of yours will surely help me decide!

Thanks!!

• susanlynn2012
    15 years ago

Bumping up this thread for jlk1016 to see slc2053's question.

• susanlynn2012
    15 years ago

I just had to revisit this post to see the beautiful floors again since I am back to wanting Amendoim floors but not sure if I want the 3.25" width or the 5" width. Since the floors, have been down now about 1.5 months, have they darkened up any or is that the beautiful color they stay?

• Christine Decker
    15 years ago

I agree that your kitchen is warm, open, clean lines and GREAT! You should be so proud! I also love your granite and floors! Happy cooking and EATING!

• starpooh
    15 years ago

hi jlk1016 -
    May I archive your kitchen in the Finished Kitchens Blog? If so please submit the Category Checklist to give your permission.
    Thank you!

Here is a link that might be useful: FKB Category Checklist

• susanlynn2012
    14 years ago

RE: 98% finished kitchen with 5" wide Amendoim Floors- Where is jlk1016 who never answered our questions- hope she is OK....