Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Show me your cabinet knobs and pulls!!

Posted by hags00 (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 10, 12 at 22:13

Had to keep it clean ladies and gents! Restarting this thread per a couple of requests to make it easy to find!

Show those of us in the planning or implementing phase some beautiful (and not so beautiful) pictures!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Show me your cabinet knobs and pulls!!

Mine are Berenson Adagio. I don't see Berenson much. My cabmaker gave me the catalog. Berenson is in Buffalo. The finish is very nice on these. I chose them because they were simple and didn't conflict with the other lines. I put two pulls on 36" drawers.

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

Clean and simple. From Kraftmaid: Satin Chrome 5" (Style 205)

Jodi-

o

I bought mine on Over Stock, really am happy with them too. Stone Mill Newport Satin Nickel Cabinet Knobs/pulls

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

Here are a couple shots of my pulls. I used 10 inch pulls on all cabinet doors and various sizes on the drawers depending on the width of the drawer. The pulls are Hickory Hardware's Greenwich Collection.
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

o

Don't hate me. I can't remember what brand these are without digging around my house for paperwork. ORB on quartersawn oak. If I can manage to find it, I'll let you know. They weren't overly expensive, but not cheap either.

I took them with Instagram because I was just too tired and lazy right now to pull my real camera out :P Working on one cup of coffee right now lol.

Pulls

Pull

Pulls

o

Thank you! Keep them coming! I am detecting a trend on the cabinet pulls that they seem to start right around the edge or just above the bottom board on a shaker cabinet and move up from there (or the opposite on a lower).

Badgergirl - interesting placement of your handles on your drawer banks. Does it work well for you?

o

Mine are Jeffrey Alexander stin nickel. I used a backplate on my big drawers to be a little different.

o

Ikea Gravyr satin nickel

Pull, IKEA Gravyr

Knob, IKEA Gravyr

o

We went a bit crazy, so I have lots of examples

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

Hags00: the placement of my pulls works great for us. As you can see in the picture below the pulls have a nice projection. There is plenty of room for any size fingers to fit behind the pull, even on the top drawers with the granite overhang. I knew I wanted the pulls mounted on the rails so I just pretended like the top drawers had rails and put the pulls in the same location on those drawers as the 5 piece drawers. I thought that if I put the top drawer pulls in the middle of the slab drawers they would be too close to the pulls on the drawer below it.

o

All knobs.
All the time.

From D. Lawless Hardware

o

Birdcage - surprisingly, they have not been difficult to keep clean, even when some dough dropped on them. However, I don't think I'd recommend them to anyone with small children - because, in my experience, small children often have sticky fingers - sticky with peanut butter, etc. - and I think then it would be a problem. My children were 12 & 13 when we finished our kitchen (except a backsplash *sigh*), so they were beyond that stage.

That said, I really like them!

Knobs by DecHar:
Photobucket

36'' Sink Base with 18'' Trash Pullout on Left & DW on Right, Trash Pullout:  D1 - Junk, S1 - 2-bin trash pullout

Pulls by Siro:

Photobucket

24'', 3-Drawer Drawer Base, Baking Supplies (Baking Center), D1 - Pot Holders/Hot Pads, D2 - Cookie Cutters/Rolling Pin/Sifter, D3 - Candles/Bread Bowl/Ice Cube Trays/Popsicle Makers/Misc.

o

Interesting!

For me, this is one of the biggest decisions! Do it wrong and you have drilled holes in your thousands of dollars worth of cabinets! Your location is a pretty permanent decision!

I know I am a pull person not a knob person.

I got free pulls with my cabinets. I have no idea what they look like, they are sitting in a box in the garage! When I ordered the cabinets, they said, You get free pulls or knobs and showed me a board and I picked. I know the board did not have any of my top choices on it so I might be pull shopping.

The pulls on the top rail caught my eye. There was one post on here, (sorry I didn't get the name) with center location on the top drawer and top rail on the lower drawers, that is interesting too.

Anyone here on GW put all their pulls horizontal, even on the cabinets?? Got to look on Houzz and see if I can find some.

Thanks to all, I am enjoying the photos!

o

Breezygirl placed her pulls horizontally on her upper cabinets. If she doesn't reply you can search on here for her gorgeous kitchen.

o

Breezygirl placed her pulls horizontally on her upper cabinets. If she doesn't reply you can search on here for her gorgeous kitchen.

o

Ours were included with our cabinets from Plain & Fancy

o

Found mine on ebay...dirt cheap ($1.80 per pull). They are nice and heavy. Just what I was looking for.

o

Ours are from Designer Glass Mosaics. They are custom and they will work w/ you on color and style.

232323232%7Ffp734%3A%3A%3Enu%3D4464%3E2%3C3%3E254%3EWSNRCG%3D33%3B9%3A53369345nu0mrj

built in cutting board and veggie baskets

I also got these Mother of Pearl from Schuab. They were a splurge but they are so delicate and lovely that I smile every time I see them!
Cabinet detail

o

How about more photos of cup pulls?

o

My house is 6-7 yrs old.

Don't recall the brand. Would not recommend this style. Initially, they have a built-in stop that keeps them from going all the way down and damaging your drawers. With heavy use that wears out.

Also 7" centers are impossible to replace with something that looks decent.

Uploaded from the Photobucket iPad App
Uploaded from the Photobucket iPad App

o

Don't have a better/closer picture unfortunately. These are the Princetonian from Top Knobs, all placed horizontally.

Photobucket

o

I think the all horizontal looks interesting, thanks. Got to consider that one!

o

haven't installed them yet, but we have cup pulls and knobs:

o

theanimala, how do you like the function of the horizontal pulls on the upper cabinets? And when you center the pull on the upper cabinet, how long did it take you to get used to which way they open? And do guests constantly try to open them the wrong way? I'm leaning towards that exact look, but I'm wondering about the "feel" of opening cabinets that way as well as if there's any issues with it that I wouldn't be aware of.

o

No pictures right now, but when we were chosing knobs and pulls for our new Arts and Craft inspired cabinetry we were wondering about the appropriate selection of hardware and the mixing of knobs, pulls, and clamshells (cup pulls) (at least that's how we referred to the 3 types.)

We ran across a great site (creative juice - what were they thinking? - Kitchen Cabinet Hardware) that provided some great advice, good pictures and a little humor:

http://studiobcreativejuice.blogspot.com/2011/06/what-were-they-thinking-thursday_16.html

If you're struggling with hardware choices like we were (we started in an online site that offered 13,000 knob choices) this site might give you some ideas.

(We ended up mixing all three types - a little unorthodox but we think the effect is great. We had the confidence to try it because of some examples from the creative juice blog.)

o

We just have basic arch pulls - after I ordered mine, I fell in love with badgergal but BG convinced me to stick with my first choice.

Photobucket

o

As Badgergirl said, I placed all my pulls on both upper and lower cabs horizontally. Restoration Hardware Aubrey.

I'm not a knob person so it was easy to decide on pulls everywhere. It took me no time at all to get used to the placement. I like the cleaner lines of all of them oriented the same direction.

o

bump

o

I am thinking of going with glass knobs and a metal cup pull. I thought that all of the metal knobs and pulls would distract from my cabinets.
If anyone else has cabinets with glass knobs, please post a picture.

o

Glass knobs on glass doors, latches on other doors, ill post another picture of the pulls in polished nickel.

o

more glass knobs

o

Thank you Michelle16!
I absolutely love the different cabinet hardware and the idea that glass knobs would be on glass doors. Door jewelry.

o

Here are mine, all Amerock.
Handles: Mulholland in Rustic Brass
Cup Pulls & Knobs: Manor in Weathered Brass

o

i have a different type in my butler's pantry than in the kitchen.
Photobucket
Photobucket

o

One of these days I will figure out how to post more than one pix in a posting. This is the mudroom. Knobs and pulls are Emtek in oil rubbed bronze.

o

These are the kitchen knobs/pulls. The knobs are Colonial Bronze, in 2 finishes - the outside is pewter, the face of the knob is brushed nickel. The handles are Omnia, in brushed nickel. I have one drawer under the oven with 2 of these but in 3" size. The other drawers have the 7 1/2" pull you see here. I love that they are long enough to hang a tea/hand towel on. I have them on my apron drawers in front of each sink.

o

Sorry about that - pix didn't upload.

o

Last but not least, we selected Notting Hill knobs and cup pulls for this cabinet, which is intended to look more like a piece of furniture than a part of the kitchen.

o

A la LOWES! :)

o

Kachinee--I installed Rejuvenation glass knobs on my glass dish hutch. I also put them on my booze upper cab in the DR.

o

brushed nickel pulls in my kitchen. I got them at the now-defunct Great Indoors in Burbank.
Photobucket
Photobucket

o

pipdog - stunning backsplash! love it!

o

Segbrown, are you still around?
I was wondering about your pulls on the upper, white, glassed cabinets? They look longer than I'm finding and I really like them!

Thanks,
Christine

o

Christine--Those are the RH Aubrey pulls like I have. The longest length is 8". Segbrown's kitchen was the first place I saw them used and loved them. I'll link her finished kitchen post below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Segbrown's finished kit

o

Darn!
I do like those, but I admit I am still trying to find those more delicate pulls.

I did buy the Lee Valley Twin Bow for my MBR. Love them!

o

We went with all pulls; this decision was made easier after living with knobs in our rental house kitchen. I don't think I'd like cup pulls and not being able to pull from the top.

Our cabinets hardware-installer guy kept telling us that "most people put their pulls on the center panel - are you SURE you want those pulls on the upper piece?" Also "are you SURE you want two pulls on this drawer? It will look really crowded." Maybe it does to others, but most of my drawers are pretty wide, and anyway they are simple arches like a2gemini's. Inspired by a2gemini's!

o

I love this thread, what a reference guide of pulls and knobs and placement. I am the OP and this thread will have its three month anniversary tomorrow I think! And I still have no pulls, but since I have blue tape pulls I have been a much happier camper!

My pulls are on order, I was unwilling to spend the amount necessary for the pulls I kept falling in love with so compromises were made! But from this thread I am going all pulls, all horizontal and I think I am going to put my drawer pulls on the upper rails on the drawers even the top drawer.

I will post a picture because this thread won't be complete if it doesn't have my pulls on it! Sometime in December maybe......

o

Cabinet pulls - Jeffrey Alexander "Lafayette" in satin brushed nickel (or somesuch) finish. Cabinets are ivory - not really pink, the lighting did that.

o

This is the OP and I am finally installing my pulls and have a question -

Has anyone ever seen pulls done in one direction on the lowers and another direction on the uppers? When I hold up my pulls, my uppers are really telling me to hang vertically even though I was intrigued by horizontal placement. The kitchen is small and it really seems to match well with the vertical handles on my OTR microwave and fridge.

On the other hand, on the lowers, both appliances have the handles horizontal, I have 5 cabinet doors and 2 drawer banks. So the drawer banks and the drawers above the cabinets doors all have horizontal pulls on the top rails and I am tempted to do the lower doors horizontal too, centering on the upper rail of the door.

Anyone seen anything like that?

o

I haven't seen what you are describing but I think it would be fine as long as you have some consistency like you stated with all uppers vertical and all lowers horizontal.
I have lots of drawers in my kitchen so lots of horizontal pulls. As I look around I think it would have looked good with the lower doors having horizontal pulls too but some of my doors are curved so pulls cant be horizontal on those.
My sink is located in my island and the dishwasher there is paneled with the pull on the top rail. I thought about putting the pulls horizontally on the adjacent sink cabinet (to be consistent with the dishwasher) but I didn't do it because on that run, the curved doors would have been vertical and the others horizontal. That would have been too mixed up for me. Sometimes I wish I would have put the dishwasher pull vertical like all the rest of the run but maybe that would have been too weird for opening the dishwasher. As it is, the vertical pull on the trash pullout confuses everyone. Oh well.

o

I love the variety of pulls and knobs giving me ideas. Thank you everyone for sharing.

o

Hags--I've not seen hardware placement like you mentioned, although maybe I have but didn't notice. I also think it will look fine as long ad you are consistent. After all, many people install vertical pulls on uppers and then have almost all bases drawers with horizontal placement so it's about the same! Good luck and post 'em up when they're on!!

o

Yes, I saw a friend's kitchen yesterday with pulls placed on the vertical and oriental. A few knobs where they made sense as well. It looked great! It actually made it look more custom and more "them" as they placed the pulls how they made the most sense. i would not hesitate one bit.

o

Got all my drawer pulls on last night. Today I am going to work on the uppers vertically. Last I will leave my lower cabinets and see if I have the guts to drill them horizontally after I have everything else on!

o

OP here and I am done installing pulls! Tiny galley kitchen, simple lines. I did end up putting all my pulls on the uppers vertical and all my pulls on the lowers horizontal. So here is something different to look at...

My pull -

From marguerite during

The side that was my inspiration, fridge is just to the left off the picture and shares the exact same handles as the microwave -

From marguerite during

The lowers on that side, only one door to the left of the range and I didn't want to put the pull vertical -

From marguerite during

The other side where it didn't work so cleanly but I still like it -
From marguerite during

The other end of that same side -
From marguerite during

Sorry for the number of pictures but when the distance between the two sides of your galley is 4' you can't get in and get very good pictures!

Here is my disclaimer and a thought starter. After I put the first drawer pull on the top rail, I wished I had not. I like the look quite a bit and I like the function (I used to knock my knuckles on the top rail reaching in for the pull on the center of my narrow top drawers in my last kitchen). I am an engineer by trade, I spend my days figuring out why things fail and designing things so they won't fail. With today's soft close drawer glides, there is always a force keeping the drawer closed. When you pull the handle to open the drawer you are providing force in the opposite direction. When you put a pull through the center of a drawer you are clamping the drawer front to the drawer box with two screws. That is fantastic for durability. When you put the pull on the upper rail, your hand force is pulling on the drawer face and the drawer closing mechanism is pulling in the opposite direction on the drawer box. You are basically trying to pull the two apart every time you open the drawer. I expect to be reattaching or reinforcing drawer fronts to drawer boxes at sometime on my most often used drawers.

o

hags00: your cabinet pulls look great. I have had my pulls installed on the top rails of my drawers for about a year now and there is not even a hint of the drawer fronts loosing or become detached. Just went and looked inside my drawers and the drawer boxes are attached very securely to the drawer fronts with 4 screws. My drawers are soft open/close and I can't see how there would ever be enough force exerted to cause the drawer front to loosen. Just curious, how are your drawer fronts are attached to the drawer boxes.

o

Mine are Amerock Revitalize in ORB.

Photobucket

o

Mine are two screws on the small drawers, 3 on the large. But they are a pretty coarse threaded screw (I just replaced a drawer front so I got a good look at the fastner). I don't think my drawer fronts are going to come flying off in the near future. But instead of attaching them in a manner which made them unable to separate, I used a method that cause me to be loading the joint between the drawer front and box every time I pull. I've already scoped out how I am going to reinforce them if I get any loose fronts!!

o

I love the sleek look of your pulls, hags00! What brand and material are they? I'm in the process of hunting for hardware, and this thread has been helpful. My cabinets are a transitional style cherry, and I think I need something slightly less modern, but still sleek and simple.

o

So glad to have seen this post!

o

Finally get to join this thread.

o

Rocky Mountain Hardware 'sash pulls' ~ silicon bronze finish

Here is a link that might be useful: Rocky Mountain Hardware

This post was edited by ctycdm on Thu, May 23, 13 at 22:58

o

All the slab drawers have 4.5" cup pulls, and deep drawers and pullouts less than 21" wide have 6.25" pulls:
granite/cloudy day photo miscSpringSummer2011038-2.jpg

Base cabs with large deep drawers have 12.5" pulls :
 photo kitchen018.jpg

All the base pulls are from Hafele.

All the uppers have Old Town glass knobs (ebay):
Cabinet Bling photo Backsplash024.jpg

The banquette and lockers have 6.75" black pulls from IKEA.

Having a variety of hardware really works in my cozy kitchen.

o

This was such a helpful thread for me when trying to pick pulls. It was so much easier when I could see actual photos.

A shout out to Poohpup who's pulls I decided to use. I'm getting them in the satin nickel. Hopefully I can post soon! (Cabinets are going in as I type this!!!)

For anyone posting, please remember to list the name of the knobs/pulls.

Thanks for a great thread!

o

I have stained cherry kitchen cabinets. We recently replaced our appliances with very nice stainless appliances. I'd like to update our cabinet knobs and I'm thinking of perhaps birdcage style knobs. Question: should I get an oil-rubbed bronze finish that would blend with the cabinets or more of a satin nickel finish which could coordinate with our appliances? I'd love to hear peoples' thoughts.

o

I would go with hardware that goes well with the cabinets. I am having a hard time with mine as well because I am tired of brass and antique brass, but I don't want to go with oil rubbed bronze, and silvery shades wouldn't look good with my cabinets.

o

This thread is such a great resource. Here's mine! Berenson Aspire. We did the 128mm on the small drawers next to the stove and 160mm everywhere else. It's a little hard to see, but they are hourglass shaped - wide at the top and then tapers in the middle.

photo 18ZD.jpg

o

I ordered our knobs and pulls through Restoration Hardware. Our center island is a slightly distressed maple, so I chose "older" looking hardware for it. All cabinetry is custom Plain and Fancy line, beaded and inset.

Pull on the drawers and knobs on the doors:
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Perimeter cabinets are a medium stained cherry, no distressing. There is more contrast between the cabinetry than is evident in these photos.

o

I ordered a couple of samples of the pulls linked below, and I love them! They are heavy and solid. I ordered both 3-3/4 and 5", thinking I would prefer the wider, but I'm glad I ordered both.

I was also convinced I would put pulls horizontally on upper cabinet doors - I love that look in many kitchens here! But when I actually put the pulls up to my cabinet doors, it didn't reach out and grab me.

I think what we've decided is to put the longer pulls on drawers, and the smaller ones vertically on uppers. The exceptions are the pull-outs above the fridge (which are more like drawers) - those will be horizontal larger size, mostly so I can reach them. I have only 3 lower doors - sink base and a 9" tray cabinet - and those will get horizontal pulls (probably the smaller size).

My son suggested (only half-joking) that I place the pulls diagonally on the uppers.

I've been stressing over this decision for weeks, but now that I have objects in my hands, it seems much easier! My existing cabinets are not a lot different than the new ones, so I'm hoping that our feelings will be the same in July, when the new ones are installed.

Here is a link that might be useful: South Bay pulls

o

I can finally post pics of my hardware. Knobs, 96mm pull, 6'' pull and dishwasher pull.

o

This thread was a huge help to me. I so enjoyed seeing all the beautiful combinations.

o

Great thread!
I need to order mine this weekend while Restoration Hardware is having their sale. Is there a rule for size of pull vs size of drawer? There are so many choices...I'm overwhelmed. Someone posted using 4 1/2" cup pulls on slab drawers and 6 1/4" cup pulls on larger drawers but less than 21" wide. So if the drawer is 24" wide and deep what size would you use?

o

Hi..

You can find the best designs and good quality brands cabinet knobs and pulls from amerock, siro designs, Alno Inc, Hickory Hardware, Jeffrey Alexander, Sierra Lifestye, RK International, Top Knobs and more...

please make sure your requirement and grab the best options..

Nice Topics..Thanks!

o

Love this thread - and absolutely love breezygirl's all horizontal pulls!

o

bump

o

I have strap pulls and rectangle knobs in my kitchen. I used them on both my antique white and maple glazed cabinets. I think they are Amerock Candler collection. I ordered them through my cabinet maker. I'm very happy with them, both in looks and in function.

HTH.

o

Ooo, I've been waiting for this one to come around again, so I could finally play! No countertops yet, but the pulls are all in.

photo IMG_0822_zps42364fa9.jpg

Pantry cabinets:
 photo IMG_0779_zps8ecb360e.jpg

I swore I was going to do all horizontal pulls, after seeing such beautiful examples here. We tried out our pulls on our old cabinets, and horizontal looked great. When I told our cabinetmaker what I was thinking he said "Jeff [his installer] will do whatever you want. He might think it's weird, but he'll do it."

But when the new cabs were in place, horizontal just didn't look right. I'm very pleased with our decision.

They are Bayport House, South Bay, in satin nickel. All are 6" long, except on the little drawer next to the sink, which is 4". I got them from Knob Depot. I love the way they feel - smooth and substantial.

o

I like my pulls. Someone warned us we would catch our pants on them, but it hasn't happened.

o

Parachuting love your pulls and your backsplash! I don't think I have seen your kitchen before. Have you posted more pictures of it?

o

Has anyone ordered from knobdeals.com?

I have no affiliation, my neighbor just recommended them. I don't love the thought of paying $$$ then discovering I don't love them and having to ship back and pay a restocking fee.

o

This is a great thread!

@mamadadapaige - if you are still out there, where did you get the pulls in your kitchen? Very nice!

o

bump

o

We went with three different sizes of Amerock ORB pulls.

This post was edited by Quadesl on Sat, Jan 11, 14 at 14:29

o

Show us more please. I am now at the backsplash and pull selection phase and it could last a loooong time!

o

I went simple and used all pulls all the same size. Amerock BP29111-G10 Allison Value Hardware 128-Millimeter Center-to-Center Pull, Satin Nickel

o

Oh, the eye candy!
There are some gorgeous kitchens, let alone really nice hardware.

It's interesting how a pull/knob takes on a whole different look when it's finally attached!

Now, everyone who has bad photo links, FIX 'EM!
Thank you very much.

o

LOL CEFreeman

I fell hard for a cup pull I saw here, several years ago, but could not remember who's kitchen it was. Finally found them at Lee Valley. They've been installed for awhile and I still luv'em lots!
French Farm Suite (I think) and sorry, only close pic I have...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here