Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
blue gray paint color

Posted by lac1 (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 27, 12 at 22:13

I meant to post this in kitchens, but it ended up in home decorating...so Im posting it here. sorry if its a double. I dont know how to remove it from there.

Just painted olympus white in the kitchen. (SW color) It looked like a nice light gray from the sample that we painted, but now that it hits the whole wall, it looks much more light blue than gray. Any ideas for a better color? Ive got some blue in the kitchen so it doesn't look terrible, but I really didn't want blue walls. I also had a sample of "Grayish" but it looked kind of muddy when we actually put it on the wall. I am horrible at picking paint. It never looks like what I think it will, even after a sample. Thanks for any advice!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: blue gray paint color

We used Sherwin Williams Tinsmith after trying approximately 1,000 gray paint colors. It was the only gray we found that was a true gray that didn't look blue, purple, green or any other odd color. Here it is in the great room:

great room 3

We also used it in the gathering room, foyer and kitchen breakfast nook- more pictures of all the rooms here: stonepondhouse.blogspot.com

o

Yes, there's a little blue in there, so in the right light, well, you know. I actually really like the color, though.

In SW I also like SW7015, Repose Gray. It's a light true gray.

I use Ralph Lauren paints. I think Grand (RLUL202) is gorgeous (top), as is Stone (RLUL221) and either would give you the look you want.

o

We painted our kitchen in SW Silverplate. It is very much a true gray without any obvious blue, green, beige, or purple undertones. We also had a dozen gray swatches and discovered that most read "othercolorish-gray" so were happiest with the Silverplate. Here is how it looks in a couple different areas with varying light

Nook so no natural light
Photobucket

With overhead lights on
Photobucket

And in the eat in area so with natural light (or as much as their was on a dreary day in December when we originally painted
Photobucket

o

I find that colors that look true gray on the paint card generally go blue on me. I look for a gray that gives me a bit of a taupe color feel on the card and I seem to get a truer gray.

BM Revere Pewter and BM Thunder are two grays I have used that don't go blue on me.

o

I used SW light french gray in a couple rooms, and it is a true gray. Maybe it's darker than what you want, though. Here's a picture from the SW web site:

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here