Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with arranging wall with sink

Posted by jill314 (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 13, 13 at 22:03

We have a small kitchen and would like to maximize the space we do have when we renovate. The kitchen is roughly 13' by 8', with a doorway on one of the 8' walls and a window smack in the middle of the other 8' wall. It's the window wall that I'm trying to figure out.

Right now the sink is in the middle of the 8' window wall and we'd like it to stay there. We'll put a dishwasher (24" wide) on one side of the sink. On the other side of the sink, the base cabinets from the perpendicular wall will extend out 24". So basically we're left with 48" between the base cabinets and the dishwasher, with a window centered above that 48" space. I think it makes sense to have the sink centered in that space as well. But I can't figure out what to do with the base cabinets in that 48".

Ideally we'd have some drawers for dish towels and also something for trash. I just don't know how to make it happen. Thoughts?

Thanks so much for your ideas!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with arranging wall with sink

sinks do not NEED to be centered under windows,,in fact if the light/view and ambience in the space comes from the window, playing that stretch up differently can benefit the space.however, one understands the traditional vibe you are thinking of-sink under window/okay...so the other thought is a corner sink because in small kitchens where you are trying to maximize counter runs sometimes that deep corner is very well utilized with a sink which frees other runs.it just depends.....Assume you want to proceed with sink under window....have you nailed down the size of cabinet: 27 in cab will provide an ample sink for a small kitchen....30 Inch?....your sink faucet/and placement of trash[under sink?] should be nailed down..and then see what's left. so presume 27 in sink base..21 in left over...do you want pull out trash-that's 15 in with 6in for rollout pantry.....but do you need a buffer filler so doors don't bang on perpendicular runs.....Best is to post even a basic sketch with some feet...show where door/window are and where you want fridge/range[has that been figured out?]....small kitchens can work well....don't assume anything about placement until you look at the whole.

o
RE: Help with arranging wall with sink

Thanks for your response. I'm attempting to upload a photo of the dimensions and current locations of refrigerator, range, and sink. We don't want to do a lot of moving stuff around for cost reasons. Though it is a small kitchen, we do have a large-ish family (4 kids) and have guests for dinner on a regular basis, as well as hosting large extended family get togethers several times a year (Christmas, Easter, etc). So I definitely want a sink that is larger than what we have, and I think we'll need at least a 30" sink cabinet, if not bigger.

photo kitchendimensions.jpg

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here