Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
old_skool

Another kitchen update (pictures)

old_skool
15 years ago

Here was my previous update that shows the whole process:

Kitchen Forum Link

I have new pictures. Tile is up and grouted, outlet plates are up, and cabinet door handles are installed.

Still working on installing the pot filler. I need to find a special adapter because the plaster is so thick on the wall. I scheduled the floor refinishing. After that is complete, I'll install the shoe molding/baseboard and touch up the paint. Also need to install the pendent lights for over the sink, but we haven't found any we like yet.

{{gwi:1943813}}

{{gwi:1943814}}

{{gwi:1943815}}

{{gwi:1943816}}

{{gwi:1943817}}

Comments (36)

• vicnsb
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Wow that is so cool and smart looking!
    Details please?

• yoyoma
    15 years ago

Gorgeous! I've always preferred lighter cabinets, but yours are stunning. Everything works great together.

• old_skool
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I put a link in that post that was my previous post. It has a lot of info in there. If you want any more specific information not in that original link, just let me know and I will give you any info I have.

• jlk1016
    15 years ago

Oooh, I love your cabinets. I chose a different overall style for my kitchen for flow with adjacent rooms, but black oak cabinets were my first choice (I managed to work them into a bathroom). You have a great looking kitchen and dining room there.

• marthavila
    15 years ago

I want to ditto the "cool" and "smart looking" and "gorgeous" adjectives that my fellow posters have used to describe this kitchen. I wish to also throw in. . .snazzy! What a wonderful job. Congratulations!

• redroze
    15 years ago

What a cool kitchen! I love the green walls and the black cabinets and the grey backsplash tiles. So nice!!!

• erikanh
    15 years ago

Oh my gosh! GORGEOUS!! The black cabinets are to die for and the green is perfect with them! Stunning countertops and backsplash! Everything goes together so beautifully. You obviously put a lot of thought and planning into the details.

Enjoy your lovely new kitchen!

• rmlanza
    15 years ago

LOVE it! Very sleek and contemporary looking without feeling cold. Really, it's just stunning! Love that green!

• cat_mom
    15 years ago

COOL!!!!

Any close-up shots of the splash?

• old_skool
    Original Author
    15 years ago

{{gwi:1943818}}

{{gwi:1943819}}

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
    15 years ago

I love your kitchen! I have a real thing for black cabs (sigh, who knew?) What a beauty! The backsplash is to die for! Who makes it and what is its name? I love all your combos. Great choices. Beautiful kitchen. Can't wait to see it with the floors done. Will they match the other floors?

Have you checked out the pendant lights by Oggetti? They have some nice black and white ones that might go well with your kitchen.

• Laurie
    15 years ago

WOW!! Stunning. Should be in a home decor magazine. Love the colors, layout, & materials used.

• old_skool
    Original Author
    15 years ago

backsplash is glass tile in 1" square mats:
    Encata, Petite Linea, Everest

Here is a link that might be useful: website

• tartanhabit
    15 years ago

really beautiful! I love how you've taken the dark cabinets but contrasted with some light upbeat stuff to make a fresh elegant look.

• old_skool
    Original Author
    15 years ago

new floors are 3/4" solid select white oak, the same as existing. We will try to get them to look seamless with existing floor to open up the space.

• yesdear
    15 years ago

Wow, fresh and inviting. Love the colors. Looks to be a super-functional layout too. Congrats! Coming together beautifully. You must be excited.

• mindimoo
    15 years ago

FABULOUS! From one black kitchen cabinet devotee to another, you whacked that one out of the ball park! It's divine! Great job!!!!

• igloochic
    15 years ago

Very fresh and clean. I love the backsplash and the coordination of color (Green and black is always a great mix). Wonderful work!!

• janran
    15 years ago

Beautiful kitchen...and functional layout. I also like you're talbel and chairs. Enjoy it!

• jessie21
    15 years ago

I LOVE your kitchen!! Fabulous! I remember girlwithasprin's kitchen too...

You've done an amazing job. congrats.

• old_skool
    Original Author
    15 years ago

{{gwi:1943820}}

{{gwi:1943821}}

{{gwi:1943822}}

{{gwi:1943823}}

{{gwi:1943824}}

{{gwi:1943825}}

They can be done in place in the kitchen though.

• marthavila
    15 years ago

I just clicked on the link you provided at the top of your thread in order to read about your process. Holy cow! You mean to tell me this is a DIY reno???? I would not have guessed it. In my mind, that now makes it a SUPER cool, smart-looking, gorgeous, snazzy and. . . plain out amazing renovation !! (Apparently, I missed your first thread when you posted back in June. Thanks so much for the update.)

I must say -- out of all the kitchens I drool and swoon over on this Forum, I place the cream of the DIY crop in an outstanding kitchen reno class of their own. Double congratulations!

• charlikin
    15 years ago

Totally gorgeous. I love the apple-green walls - it reminds me of a kitchen mock-up I saw in a cabinet store where they had Caesarstone apple-green countertops with this apple-green-glass-and-marble basketweave mosaic backsplash. It was stunning. But I like what you did better - you're neutral on the countertops and backsplash (*gorgeous* backsplash!), and put the color on the walls where you can always repaint if you want to go for another look. Brilliant.

• robinkateb
    15 years ago

I love your kitchen!! I amy try painting my cabinets black as well. It seems to be easier then white as you want the grain to show. It is so elegant. I wonder how black cabinets would look with a dark counter, we just put in basalt slate laminate on one wall and I love it.

the walls are a perfect color as well. I love everything about your ktichen.

-Robin

• cat_mom
    15 years ago

Thanks for the close-up shots of your beautiful tile--it looks perfect with your counter tops and with the overall look/feel of your kitchen! I still love my own splash, but it's nice to see other gorgeous ones, too!

• scootermom
    15 years ago

What a gorgeous kitchen. Simple, yet striking. Not fussy or cluttery, just clean, quiet, and somehow warm at the same time. Backsplash is to die for -- I'm not much of a backsplash person to start with, but yours is really nice.

I really love it! What an amazing job you did!!!

Chris

• boysrus2
    15 years ago

Wow! I thought it was beautiful before the splash. Now it's more stunning. You made a terrific choice in glass tile color for your kitchen.

• david123
    15 years ago

OMG!!! I have goosebumps it is so awesome! Great job- gives me inspiration for my own DIY kitchen. Different colors, but still, wow!!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Dream Kitchen on a Budget Blog

• happymommy
    15 years ago

Stunning, stunning, stunning! I can't believe this was a DIY! I love the black cabinets, backsplash and faucet. It looks so sleek - great job!

• User
    15 years ago

Absolutely stunning. One of the kitchens I would love to walk into and start cooking ! I looked back and didn't see any reference to the DR table and chairs. Please tell me where you got the table ? Thank you for a wonderful view of your space...DIY ...just amazing. c

• old_skool
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for all the compliments. It has been a labor of love.

Now regarding the table, I was looking for something like this for a long time and you can find a lot of tables that look similar and probably cost less, but I wanted something really authentic and handmade. So, I ordered a "custom" table from:

www.seaportwoodworks.com

"Custom" because it was basically a standard table based on my specs but I could have specified anything I wanted.

They are a family owned and operated business based out of Fort Point Channel in Boston.

I picked up a 3'x6' table as I don't want to dwarf the dining room.
    All the wood is ~100 yr old reclaimed barn wood from Amish country.

I talked to a number of places you can find with some diligent google searching. However, this company was very professional, knowledgeable, reliable and their website had the best representation of what the work would look like so there would be no surprises on delivery. Many of the "big name" furniture people have tables that are made to look similar with none of the character or heritage and they are about the same price or more. I also found other individuals who were willing to make me a custom table, but I had no guarantees, delivery time was longer, and not enough good pictures and references of previous work to be sure of what I would get.

Lead time was said to be approx. 6-8 weeks with 2 weeks for delivery. They got mine done much faster than this though. So fast, in fact that we were still waiting on delivery of the dining room chairs (from a different retailer).

Table cost $1,299 in this configuration. (2" thick boards, 3'x6', rustic boards, walnut finish, breadboards, solid 4" tapered legs) Freight was $319 total cost paid to freight company directly. (all freight arrangements and price negotiation through Seaport.)

Delivery and setup went without a hitch and was a great experience overall.

The chairs are handmade in India. They are carved from Sheesham wood with a tea stain finish. They are from C.G. Sparks: http://www.cgsparks.com/index-exec/

They arrived in boxes of two and assembled fairly easily. You just have to be sure not to overtighten the hardware because it will easily split the wood even though they have very solid construction.

{{gwi:1943826}}

{{gwi:1943827}}

{{gwi:1943828}}

{{gwi:1943829}}

{{gwi:1943830}}

{{gwi:1943831}}

The rug is Floor: http://www.flor.com/

The blinds are Hunter Douglas Duette Duolite Ultra Glide.
    we picked duolite because they were so flexible:
    They are basically 2 blinds in one and are therefore basically 2x as expensive. They have sheer and opaque. The opaque is top down, bottom up. The sheer blind portion is independently adjustable so you can have them with or without the sheer exposed. The sheer does not have top down function.

http://www.designerblinds.com/CSTips/CSTips_246.htm

• old_skool
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Some older and not so good pictures of the living room and entry attached to the dining room and kitchen:

{{gwi:1943832}}

{{gwi:1943833}}

{{gwi:1943834}}

{{gwi:1943835}}

The furniture is from Chicago Textiles Corporation. it is slip covered and easily disassembled for transport. The couch and chairs are covered in microsuede and the cushions have down fill. I have a bunch of pictures showing how you assemble the furniture here:
    http://www.zoto.com/site/#USR.oldskool::PAG.lightbox::ORD.date_uploaded::DIR.desc::LIM.160::OFF.0::TUN.ctc

The tiles hanging on the wall are reclaimed tin ceiling tiles from old buildings when they get demolished. Each one is wrapped around a wood frame and hung on picture wire. This is the website of the company I purchased them from:
    http://www.oldegoodthings.com/

{{gwi:1943836}}

The pictures in the dining room were taken by an artist friend of mine. They are medium format slide film pictures that have been cross processed into print film and enlarged. We got some basic wood frames from IKEA, and painted them using the other colors on the color palette for the walls. Then had them professionally mounted with new conservation glass installed. We have a number of her other photographs framed for the basement. They are truly amazing in my opinion.

{{gwi:1943837}}

The canvas painting is "Retro Bikes" by Darrell Hill
    http://web.mac.com/darrellhill/iWeb/Darrell%20Hill%20Fine%20Art/Welcome.html

I just installed a new front door with the help of a friend. I purchased it from Home Depot. It is a fiberglass door with reeded glass to match the existing architectural element in the entry way. It is stainable or paintable and we still need to pick out a color we like.

{{gwi:1943838}}

{{gwi:1943839}}

{{gwi:1943840}}

We installed the magnetic low voltage lighting in place of the existing entry way light. It is a nice kit because you can create any shape you like. It is also dimmable.

The sisal entry rug is from The Pottery Barn. I don't remember where we purchased the bench seat and phone table station, but they were quite affordable. They are made out of machine made laminate pieces that you hand assemble with a few simple tools.

We still plan to remodel the fireplace. I would like to remove the large TV currently in the living room. The chest it is sitting on is an antique Chinese chest I bought from an importer out of New York who was advertising on Ebay at the time.

This is how I want to build out the fireplace:
    {{gwi:1943841}}

I want to tile a portion of it or the whole thing, then add a nice hearth stone. I just need to decide if it HAS to be the same materials used in the kitchen to tie it all together. The tile and counters were pretty expensive, so I would like to avoid doing that if possible. Ideally we would install a flat screen TV in a niche above the fireplace but I am concerned about heat issues.

{{gwi:1943842}}

{{gwi:1943843}}

{{gwi:1943844}}

• old_skool
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The kitchen exits onto the back deck.

Here are the before pictures and the after pictures. We rented a pressure washer and bought some Cabot stain that works on wet surfaces.

{{gwi:1943845}}

{{gwi:1943846}}

• cat_mom
    15 years ago

Love your mailbox, too!

• PRO
    modern life interiors
    15 years ago

You have a good looking kitchen.
    Enjoy it in good health.

• old_skool
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Stainless Steel mailboxes can be very expensive. I believe we purchased this one from West Elm but I am not sure they still carry it. It was much less expensive than the other ones I found online.