Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
navi_jen

Need help with a small kitchen layout

navi_jen
9 years ago

Like a couple of other posters, I would love some guidance on basic kitchen design.

I am replacing my gutted (stupid PO cats) kitchen as part of a whole house remodel. I would love your advice..but be warned, my old house is small (926) and I do not want to open up the kitchen to either the DR or LR. And the only other absolute is the pristine 1954 40" OKM with 6 burner, double glass door oven that I found on CL (and should begin shipping cross country next week).

Otherwise, I am aiming to use a pristine reclaimed butler's pantry for my cabinets, but I have to find one first :). And I do have a gorgeous c. 1936 farmhouse style, in cabinet sink, but it's 40" and may be too big with the new OKM. It was a CL find, so I wouldn't be too disappointed if it fell by the wayside.

Please, fire away!

Thanks.....

Old kitchen...down to studs, and generously decorated with a utility sink, a portable dishwasher, 15 cu fridge, a single induction burner and a portable convection oven :)

This post was edited by navi_jen on Fri, Aug 1, 14 at 22:03

Comments (2)

• navi_jen
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Conceptual drawings by architect. I won't have a trash compactor, I am assuming the DW will need to change side so that I don't have a run in with the OKM.

Key is Green: Existing house commentary
    Yellow: Reminders for moi
    Red: New updates commentary

Also, if you want to read up on the whole house renovation, head over here http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/smallerhomes/msg0821313318390.html?2. Happy to have everyone join in!

This post was edited by navi_jen on Fri, Aug 1, 14 at 22:25

• rhome410
    9 years ago

I would put the dishwasher on the side of the sink closest to dish storage, which I'm guessing is on the right of the plan. As much as I prefer the dw next to the sink, I would consider moving it to the fridge wall somewhere (about a foot from the fridge, maybe), so when it's open, you can turn and reach it easily from the sink, but the open door doesn't block access to the whole corner and all that counter space.

If you move the dw, and aren't doing the trash compactor, which is drawn awfully big anyway, your sink may fit!

Are those stools drawn at the end of the cabinets by the stove? I don't see room to make those work.