Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
skd2boys

Help! Not sure if I want dark granite counter tops

skd2boys
15 years ago

I have always wanted white cabinets with black countertops. I really like Ubatuba. However, we just moved in with my family while we are building and she has white with Ubatuba and i'm not so sure anymore. Seems to leave lots of water stains. Any other ideas or pics on other dark granite countertops? do you have problems with water stains?

Comments (24)

• Jean Farrell
    15 years ago

I had a very dark granite in my kitchen in my NYC apartment. I don't know the name of it, but it was a dark green, with grayish/whitish streaks in it, and I never ever had a problem with water stains or anything.

• skd2boys
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you! Maybe what we have isn't sealed right or needs to be resealed.

• Buehl
    15 years ago

Some here have had good experiences w/Impala Black...not quite so uniform so water spots, dust, etc. don't show as much.

We have AB Premium (w/very light scattering of silver inclusions) and I have noticed water spots...especially around the main sink and in the Powder Room. However, one swipe w/a Weissman granite cloth in the Powder Room and the vanity is clean/clear. In the kitchen we use spray cleaners...Method or Simple Green, depending on what I can get...with a microfiber cloth for the same results (a much bigger area!)

You might also consider a couple of other options:

• Antiqued black (AB or other black)...not honed - honed is worse, IMHO, than polished for water spots & it also shows oil spots that polished does not

• Soapstone....I love soapstone and would have put it in in a heartbeat expect that (1) my DH didn't want it, (2) it was more expensive than the granite (and we have a lot of counter space), and (3) I think my kitchen is too "formal" for SS...but I am in love with Black Venata Soapstone!!! (Someday I plan to create a nice Laundry Room...and this SS, if it's still available, will be in it!)

Don't give up on your dream kitchen until you've checked out all your options!

Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1394645}}

• cathyinbothell
    15 years ago

We have had tropical brown installed for two months now and I have not seen a water spot yet. I really like it more than I thought I would...I was worried it would be too dark, but the reflective properties of the polished granite really make it beautiful when the lights are on.

• maydl
    15 years ago

We have Dakota Mahogany granite, a tweedy combination of black, several grays, and terracotta that is quite dark. It doesn't seem to show any water spots--but maybe that's because it's still brand new for us and we're wiping up every spill instantly!

• deedee-2008
    15 years ago

I have Emerald Pearl granite (it actually looks more "blue-ish" than green) that's so easy to keep clean. No water rings here...maybe your relative needs to reseal hers?

• rmlanza
    15 years ago

I have ubatuba, absolutely no problems with water spots. Do you mean drips and rings that have dried on the surface or dark spots that get onto the granite and don't wipe up? I think any polished granite will show things that have dried on the surface in the right light. You just need to give them a swipe with a microfiber cloth and they're spotless and shiny again. I love my ubatuba!

Good luck!
    Robin

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
    15 years ago

Yup, like everyone else said, get the microfiber cloth and wipe up immediately. The black granite will have a tendency to show more lint, etc. as well. The microfiber cloth helps with that too.

Go to the stone yard and see what granite "grabs" you. You might be surprised with what you like. I wanted a quiet, peaceful granite that was white. Ended up with something totally different. I found out that for me, the more movement in the granite, the better. For me, the sameness of one color was boring. So check out and go with an open mind. You might be surprised.

• cburch
    15 years ago

I have Verde Butterfly, a dark greenish-black. I love how it looks when it's clean and shiny, but "I" do see spots and fingerprints more than others. All it takes is a wet towel to rub it down and then a quick swipe with a microfiber towel to shine it up.

• Gina_W
    15 years ago

Dark, highly polished granite tends to look like a mirror, and is prone to showing fingerprints and dirty spots as a mirror would.

If you are not into keeping an immaculate kitchen, LOL, then look for granites with patterns/movement or conglomeration of different colors so that little spills and fingerprints are less likely to show up.

My Blue Eyes has what I call a conglomerate-type look. Even though it's highly polished, it's hard to see spills or anything on it. On the other hand, I have Absolute Black in the powder room and that needs to be wiped down constantly because of the water spots.

• karencon
    15 years ago

I Second the point about "finger prints" My AB marks everytime we touch it. Luckily I only used it least touched locations except for the desk. This should be a strong consideration if you want a fairly solid black look.

• deegw
    15 years ago

I have honed jet mist (also known as Virginia mist). From a distance it appears as a black counter but as you get closer it is more charcoal with faint wisps of white. I have no problem with stains, smudges and fingerprints and have been very happy with it.

Here's a link to a close up in my kitchen.

Here is a link that might be useful: Virginia mist granite counters

• skd2boys
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you so much everyone for the wonderful information! I'm sorry I didn't realize anyone had posted on my question. I'm new to using this site and thought I would receive e-mails to my e-mail address. Thank you all so much for responding!

• msrose
    15 years ago

deee - Are your countertops granite or soapstone? Do you have any pictures of your finished kitchen?

Laurie

• skd2boys
    Original Author
    15 years ago

This website is just great! I have done lots of research on Soapstone. I really like it and think it would go great with my white farmhouse sink. I love the black venata. Does anyone have soaptstone countertops? Do you like it? I have heard it scratches easily. Any positives or negatives I would love to hear. Also, how often do you oil? water stains etc??

• mitchdesj
    15 years ago

I have ubatuba in the master bath, dh leaves wet shaving cream can, toothpaste, you name it; yes it shows, but one swipe of miracle cloth and it comes all off, even 12 hours later, all caked and dry, and with nothing else than water on the cloth. It takes me 30 seconds to wipe and dry his area.

I had impala black in a previous condo kitchen, it shows marks almost as much as absolute.

I have 3 dozen microfiber cloths, stainless, granite, nothing is a problem.

Of course, if a person expects to clean surfaces once a week only, like I read on this forum sometimes, you have to pick a multi speckled mid tone or else you're in trouble, lol.....

• Buehl
    15 years ago

There can be two reasons you're not receiving the emails:

• You didn't check the "Check here if you would like copies of follow-ups to your message emailed to you." box when you created/started the post

• You don't have the email option turned on in your profile.

To turn the email option on:

1. Go to "Your Profile" (see top of page, above GardenWeb banner)

2. You will have to log in again

3. Check to be sure the email address entered is the correct one

4. Scroll down to bottom to shaded area.

5. Check the box that says...Allow other users to send you email via forms at our site.

6. Click the "Save Your Member Profile" button

You're done! I don't know if it's retroactive for current posts, but all future posts should have replies emailed to you....assuming you checked the "Check here if you would like copies of follow-ups to your message emailed to you." box when you create a new post.

• deegw
    15 years ago

Hi Laurie -

Here's a pic of part of my kitchen. We did an update about a year ago. Kept our cabinets, fridge and footprint. We had previously replaced the white vinyl with wood and painted. This time we did new counters, hardware, sink, most appliances and backsplash. I'd still like to add light rails and change out the exposed hinges so I don't consider it "done"!

Dee

{{!gwi}}

• caflowerluver
    15 years ago

I have Verde Butterfly and the only time I get water spots is if I don't wipe up the spill right away. Most of the time I just use a micro fiber cloth to wipe it up and polish the granite. But if left over time they can become a white outline. They are easy to remove though. You can buy granite polish to get them out or use a car finish product. Just wipe the stuff on, let dry and buff and water spot is gone. I have had mine for 2 years now and they look as good as new. Also keep using a sealer to keep it looking new.
    Clare

• User
    15 years ago

Deee, I love your kitchen, great job. It's gorgeous.

• skd2boys
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Buehl thank you so much for info on how to update my profile. That is why I haven't received any e-mails.

Also, Deee is your counter top Soapstone and if so what is the name of it?

• deegw
    15 years ago

The counters are honed granite. It's called jet mist and also known Virginia mist. Visually it is extremely close to the look of soapstone but doesn't have the warm feel. I really wanted to soapstone but couldn't find anyone familiar with it in my small southern town. I think my granite was a bit cheaper than soapstone. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Dee

• skd2boys
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I love the look of honed granite. Now another choice to add to my decision making. Thank you!

• donnar57
    15 years ago

Ditto what Robin said - I have uba tuba and LOVE it. Get a package of granite wipes and a microfiber towel, and you'll shine that thing in no time. It takes much more time to move the stuff off my countertops than it does to wipe them down with those 2 tools!

DonnaR/CA