Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
smpop18

Help with choosing granite please

SMPop18
11 years ago

We're in the finishing stages of our new home and in need of some help with selecting the granite for our kitchen counters.

Here are a few samples next to the knotty alder cabinet sample on the tile floor that is being laid. The tall sample on the left is actually quartz and the other two are granite. We don't like granite that has a lot of veins/character so we are trying to find something with more condensed colors. I feel that we shouldn't pick something that is too "crazy" because the tile floor has a lot of variation and character and I fear that they will clash with each other. At first, I wanted something lighter in color than the floor. Now I'm thinking it would look best to find something that is a close match in color. I'm not in love with any of the samples shown but am leaning towards the one on the right. Are we even on the right track here????

>

Showing more of the floor.

>

>

And a close up of the two granite samples on what will be the bar showing the tile in the background. I'm concerned about how the granite will look from this space looking into the kitchen The otherside of the bar (where I'm standing to take the pic) will have a medium dark harwood floor.

>

And the quartz

>

Comments (30)

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

I vote for Michigan!
    The one on the right looks like a map of mi but being more serious, I liked the colors better with your floor (coming from someone who normally likes warm colors,,,)

• SMPop18
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I know... it totally looks like MI! And we live in MI!! Thanks for your thoughts :) Should I look at some other slabs to find something closer to the tile? Do you think any granite will just clash with the floor or will the cabinets break it up enough?

• labbie
    11 years ago

MI seems to go better with your flooring, but I actually prefer the other granite with your cabinetry, which is where it will sit. Given what you said about not wanting a busier granite, though MI also works (I prefer either granite to the quartz).

"I'm not in love with any of the samples shown" This makes me want to ask whether you can go back to the granite yard with your samples and take another look??

• TxMarti
    11 years ago

I think the little square on the far left looks best with your floor, but not your cabinets. I don't really like any of them with your cabinets.

OT now, are you doing the tile floor yourself or having it done? Do you have any photos of the Ditra before the tile was put on it, or on any areas where there isn't tile yet?

• gone_south
    11 years ago

Casting my vote for Michigan.

• marcydc
    11 years ago

If you're not in love with any of them, or even a strong "like", go back and find some more samples. I think Michigan doesn't go with the warm rich cabinets. Too cold (well not in August but definitely in January for me anyway).

• SMPop18
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone!
    labbie- yes, we plan to take another look at a different location to try to find some other options.

marti8a- any thoughts on what would look better with the cabinets? We are having the tile done by a friend who's an experienced tile layer. I don't have a pic of just the Detra but here are a couple with more of it showing. I can try to take more when he does other rooms. Do you have questions about it? My husband owns a flooring store and recommends/sells it a lot which is why he wanted it used in our house.

• TxMarti
    11 years ago

Thank you! Yes, I want to use it in our kitchen and the dining addition we just added. I have looked at a youtube video using it, but didn't really understand if it was glued or thinset to the slab before laying the tile on top, and if it stopped at the wall or went up there. Your pictures show that perfectly.

I am having a tough time finding anyone locally who has done it. The locally owned flooring store has one installer who is about 65 and he does it the way he's always done it, thin set on the slab and then tile. I want to minimize cracks, especially on the line between the old and new and I want the Ditra even if I have to do it myself.

• kellienoelle
    11 years ago

Your floors are really beautiful, and I love it with the alder door that you have selected. As far as the granite goes, I don't think that you have found the one yet. If you had, you shouldn't be so "eh, I don't love it but I guess it'll do" about it. Personally, I think you need to find one with more warmth, since that would fit in best with your other choices. Unfortunately, I do like all the crazy veining, so may not be the best to make alternate suggestions! Maybe something like giallo ornamental? Or maybe that is lighter than you wanted to go.

• SMPop18
    Original Author
    11 years ago

kellienoelle- Thanks for your thoughts! I agree that I need to go warmer. I'm willing to go a little veiny...my husband is not so much unless I insisted, lol. I actually really liked giallo ornamental but the salesman said it varies a lot and that the next order would come in looking like the one next to it which had pinks tones in it. And the slab I liked wasn't going to be enough for our kitchen.

• TxMarti
    11 years ago

Have you looked at Typhoon Bordeaux? It may have a little too much red to go with your cabinets.

Not sure which photo showed the tile color accurately.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

I remember seeing several granite slabs that were about the color of your cabinets, but I didn't make note of them because they didn't match mine. Keep looking and mulling it over and you'll find one that complements both tile and cabinets.

I like your tile. What is it?

• mcshoppy
    11 years ago

I have something quite simular to the one on the right. I have darker cherry cabinets. I don't think it looks too cool in tone, although I needed a lighter counter as my kitchen is a bit on the dark side.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• SMPop18
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Marti8a!On your post...the top tile photo is with the lights on at night and the bottom photo is during the day with natural light. Thanks for your help too mcshoppy!
    The tile is Florim in Stonefire Beige.
    Here is a pic someone posted for me on the building a home forum. I love the granite! Any ideas on what it's called?

And another that I like

• sprtphntc7a
    11 years ago

i found a link that might help. i also do not think you found "the one"

here's the name: Cream, Brown , Taupe and Black Granite?
    its by: mtskansas, original date 4/19/11. last date posted 4/22/11. sorry dont know how to add the link :(
    there is some good examples that you might like.

as i have said before, when you find "it", you will know.

another tip: the same granite can be called different names, so its always best to see it in person.
    best of luck :)

• Eyegirlie
    11 years ago

Your tile looks similar to what we have in our bathroom. Our granite was called Giallo Napole

{{!gwi}}

• eam44
    11 years ago

I think Madre Pearla quartzite is the stone for you.

{{!gwi}}

• SMPop18
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Eyegirlie- I can't see your picture though. I looked up that granite name and really like the pictures I found!

• SMPop18
    Original Author
    11 years ago

EAM44- thanks for your help, however, Madre Perla looks to be very grey? I don't really have a lot of grey in my color scheme....

• SMPop18
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Update: I'm 90% sure that the granite on the left is Giallo Vicenza and 100% sure the Michigan shaped one is Santa Cecilia. So, if anyone has any further thought on it that would be great!

• kellienoelle
    11 years ago

How about something like Kashmir Gold? If you google image it you can see quite a few variations ranging from pale to very gold, but I think it would complement both the cabinet and the floor. Definitely one that you would need to see in person.

• shedthechrysalis
    11 years ago

If you want some gold... How about crema pearl granite from sensa? Do you like speckly granite? I like the quartzite suggested above, although I personally have speckly granite. Go figure. LOL. My advice would be to not settle. Go to a few different yards if you need to and find one you truly love. It's a big expense to live with if you get it and don't like it. :)

• shedthechrysalis
    11 years ago

This is crema pearl..

It's hard to tell how much gold your tile has, so this may or may not work for you.

• shedthechrysalis
    11 years ago

Or...if your tile color matches the picture above with the tile setter more so than the 1st picture posted, Golden Wheat might look good with it. It's from Arizona Tile. It might have more "character" than you want though...

{{!gwi}}

• TxMarti
    11 years ago

ShedTheChrysalis, that one looks good to me too. Best to take a cabinet door and tile when you look though because they all vary a little.

• shedthechrysalis
    11 years ago

Oh definitely! Granite has a lot of variation. Just putting a few options out there...

• Houseofsticks
    11 years ago

The inspiration pic I posted in your home building post was by Lambert Homes. It was a custom Texas home build for reference.
    http://www.lamberthomes.net/

I'd e-mail or call to inquire as to the granite.

• SMPop18
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone! I appreciate all your thoughts! We will be going to look again on Friday. The problem is we live about 2 hours from each of the two granite yards in our area and they are in different towns so it's difficult to go to both in the same day. We did take our kitchen with us when we selected the samples above. It would be impossible to select something at the yard without having the cabinet and tile as a reference! At this point, based on the pictures and suggestions, I'm going to ask the sales rep about Giallo Napoli, Kashmir Gold and maybe the Crema Pearl. The yard we got the current samples from didn't seem to have a lot of options. It's frustrating to feel limited when looking for something like granite.

• BerlinGirl
    11 years ago

Wondering what you chose???

• mschellie
    7 years ago

I chose the same tile and I am having a very difficult time machine a quartz countertop. My cabinets are similar but more of a ginger with chocolate glaze. Trying to stay with warm colors