Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mtnrdredux_gw

XPost:UnfittedUnmatchedBeachhouseVintage

mtnrdredux_gw
9 years ago

Sorry, I posted earlier today and broke the board with a too-long subject (who knew you could do that?) GW actually emailed me to tell me they had to remove my post.

Anyway, thanks Hydrangea and SusieLovesToPaint (IIRC).

Hope this is ok!

Apologies for the lengthiness --- of the process and the post!

One of the reasons I loved our 1904 beachhouse when we first looked at it, almost exactly a year ago, was that no one had redone the kitchen. Forget, "redone", I am not sure if anyone had ever even "done" the kitchen actually, with its rather bizarre layout (it had only a drysink in the kitchen proper, next to a washer and dryer?). We had the PO remove the huge black woodstove (sorry no photos of the beauty, who sat where the fridge is now).

I wanted our kitchen to look like it was done maybe in the 30s or 40s, without any great care for design, and then haphazardly updated from time to time. Eclectic, vintage-y, casual, with a bit of beachy.

Everyone was so helpful and patient with my many many posts as I worked on this project, so, thank you. My biggest inspiration was the Mousehole kitchen (thank you KSWL for posting that one - link below!), and I copied their run fairly closely. A big shout out to Pal, who assuaged my disappointment with having to have a range hood by coming up with a design that disappears, and for understanding eclectic, and helping me with decisions big and small. The only thing greater than Pal's talent is his kindness.

So, here we go.. 1) the before and 2) the layout and 3) the after and 4) the details (for those still awake).

Kitchen and Butler's Pantry before:
{{gwi:1783313}}

{{gwi:1783315}}

{{gwi:1783316}}

Layout:
(no walls moved, but we put in two new windows in different spots)

After:

{{gwi:1783319}}

{{gwi:1783320}}

{{gwi:1783321}}

{{gwi:1783322}}
{{gwi:1783323}}
{{gwi:1783324}}
{{gwi:1783325}}

{{gwi:1783326}}

Details:
The sink is vintage with a custom wood base and a linen/grograin skirt.
There are two FP Tall dishdrawers, to the right of the sink in the K and the sink in the BP.
The fridge is Northstar, and DH chose the color!
The stove is CornueFe Albertine.
Our GC did the custom carpentry for the BP sink base cabinets )great job of matching the existing), and for the d/w skin in the Kitchen (sort of faux file cabinet) and the custom table to the right of the stove (on hidden wheels, no less).
The tile B/S is Subway Ceramics.
The floors are painted wood (we took up linoleum).
The clamshell sconces are Rejuvenation, pendants are Ballard.
The spoon wall paper is Anthropologie.
The tile counter in the BP is a custom color by I forget who.
The table, which we love love, is a Shaker workshops kit that DH put together.
The chairs are Serena and Lily.
The worktable is topped with a slate remnant; the d/w in the K is topped with Boos butcher block.

PS A shout out to ArlosMom for her wonderful sink, which we got from her. I think your sink is happy here! We loved seeing your home, Arlosmom, which was just absolutely gorgeous, and wish you all the best in your new digs! (Oh and the faucet on the sink is wrong; its being switched for a shorter one!)

Here is a link that might be useful:

This post was edited by mtnrdredux on Sun, Aug 24, 14 at 19:10

Comments (18)

• tomatofreak
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Omigosh, I love, love that sink! It's a beautiful kitchen. I am a big fan of wheels and just adore your 'wheely' table and chairs, too. Altogether inspiring.

• leela4
    9 years ago

''Just'' a beautiful, unfitted kitchen. Thanks for sharing - I was wondering how your project was progressing.

• romy718
    9 years ago

So different, which is what I love about it. You must have a hard time picking out the "thing" you like the best. I know I can't. I keep scrolling & thinking
    "Love the hood", then scroll, "Love the table with the slate top", then "Love the sink." Kudos to DH for the frig.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    9 years ago

Lovely, lovely. Thank you for coming back to show the finished rooms. I really like your use of pale blue and turquoise. The big work table is beautiful and really looks vintage. And that hood -- I would NEVER have thought of that!

• Sms
    9 years ago

LOVE THIS!!!! Great choices all around. Congrats

• Texas_Gem
    9 years ago

There are so many things I love about your kitchen but I think, if I had to pick just 2 it would be the fridge and that amazing sink!!

Can you tell I have a soft spot for vintage?

You absolutely accomplished your goal. If you were to put this on the market tomorrow and I were to tour it, I would think, "this kitchen hasn't been updated in a long time, but look at all the cute and quirky details, we should leave it this way!!"

No other words beyond wow...which I feel doesn't really convey what I think when I look at it but WOW!!!!!

Great job!!

• tomatofreak
    9 years ago

Second post. I had to look again, it's so different and pretty. Your inspiration photo is also gorgeous. All in all, it makes me want to toss out all 'designer' ideas and go on a hunt for a vintage sink and a blue fridge!

• mermanmike
    9 years ago

WOW!!! I have been patiently awaiting this reveal ever since your idea was born. I think you nailed it--simple yet elegant and functional. It is easy to imagine your family making great memories in that kitchen. The sink, the range, the hood, the pantry, the table, wowzers!

I have a dream that in my next house I'll do an unfitted kitchen--now I have great inspiration pics! ;-)

• oldbat2be
    9 years ago

Your dishwasher drawer fronts are out of this world!!!! Love, love the worktable. I keep scrolling through the pictures and noticing new things. What a bright, airy, peaceful space you've created. Congratulations!!!

• greenhaven
    9 years ago

Oh, I have been waiting and waiting and waiting for this reveal!!! It looks sooo awesome!!! Exactly how I envisioned you were envisioning it!!!!

So beautiful, congratulations!

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

Perfectly appropriate. I'd love to see pix of the rest of the house. That's a huge kitchen for a beach house!

If I had to pick 1 thing that struck me (and it's all wonderful), I would say the wallpaper. I had to scroll back to the Before pic to see that you put that in! It looks original to the house.

Great choices. Makes me wish I had an old house. I'd show it to my cousin who lives in the old family farmhouse, but she took out the wide pine floors and put in "handscraped" laminate so I don't think her taste runs to the vintage.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi AJsmama, Thank you! I did post some sneak peeks of the almost-done LR on the Decorating forum (my usual haunt). We redid the whole house except 2br and right now everything is 90% done --- you know how it is. I will post a few more rooms on the decor side.

We love old homes, too!

Green, lol, thank you!

Oldbat2be, Thank you. It's all a little whacky and certainly nothing you'd find in a magazine, s which always makes it nerve-wracking. Glad you liked it!

Mermanmike, Aww, you are sweet. I think those of us who are vintage junkies really like un fitted, but it is a bit tough to do!

Tomatofreak, LOL, I know what you mean. I think for me, since it was my 3rd kitchen project in about a dozen years, I wanted to have fun with it. Plus hey, its just a beachhouse, we grill it all anyway (when we aren't eating out!)

Texasgem, Thank you, that is exactly what we would want people to think. Of course some of them will just think, "huh?" LOL

Thank you, Zeitgast, Leela!

Thank you Raee; the hood went from something i did not want to have at all to a signature part of the room.

Romy, I think it is probably the fridge. As soon we come through the back porch and into the house, it is the first thing we see. It can't help but make you smile. I was worried it would be awfully electric but someone how it is tamed in this setting. See the link for some wonderful variations (the Smeg fridge is a fab fab color, but soooo small(

Here is a link that might be useful: Turquoise appliances

• fldirt
    9 years ago

I love everything about your kitchen…especially the sink. The house I grew up in had a sink just like it! Brings back great memories! Thanks for sharing. You did an amazing job.

• bellsmom
    9 years ago

Oh, your cottage made me smile all over my face. Thank you for sharing.

• eandhl
    9 years ago

Beautiful! Your DH did the gorgeous table! Everything worked out perfectly. Hopefully now it is time to sit back and enjoy.

• onedogedie
    9 years ago

Congratulations on your finished kitchen! The cosy butler's pantry is my absolute favorite part. The kitchen proper looks like a movie set. Immaculate! (Probably b/c of the spotless floor! Do you have any rugs planned?) It will be the perfect back drop for good family times. Enjoy! and thanks for sharing.

• bicyclegirl1
    9 years ago

Congrats! I've seen some of your posts on what you were doing so I'm glad I caught your reveal. You nailed your inspiration pic! This is a perfect early 1900's beach house! Thank you for sharing!

• Pipdog
    9 years ago

wow!! this is gorgeous! Everything works beautifully together in a perfectly unfitted way. That's so cool that you re-purposed the sink from another GW member. Here's to many wonderful beach vacations and memories to be made there!

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz