Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Island fan

Posted by vidyap7 (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 4, 12 at 21:30

Hello,

I have an open-concept kitchen. I have the kitchen, breakfast nook (which we've converted to a full dining area) and the family room all in a line. I have a 37" (D) x 44" (W) island and 9' ceiling.

FirstFloor

The kitchen gets very hot in summer while cooking. I'd like to put up a fan above the island. There is a light above the island which has been reinforced and wired for a fan/light combo.

The issues are:
1. At the end of the island (dining table side) the ceiling has a 14" high beam. From the center of the light fixture to the beam is 18"
2. The light fixture is not centered on the island - it's a few inches off.
3. I have a gas cooktop 4 feet from the island. I don't want to blow out the flame when the fan is on.

(Sorry, I tried many things but I can't seem to rotate the picture to show up the right side up. )

Photobucket

My options as I think are:
1. Get a small (no more than 32") fan that hugs the ceiling so that it does not hit the beam.
2. Get a slightly bigger (can't be more than 36" else it would be bigger than the island) fan on a downrod so that it clears the beam.

Both options will have downlights since this is my only prep area.

Which is a better option? How will it look from my family room which has a ceiling fan (on a 2-3" downrod) with light too, but a larger one. How will either option affect the gas flames?

DH prefers the hugger since it's not centered and he feels it'll look more ackward if it's hanging below the beam. I prefer the downrod one since I feel many islands have hanging pendants above them and this would be like that. And also not sure how much air can be moved if the beam will be stopping quite a bit of it if it's a hugger.

Please help me decide what kind to go for.

Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Island fan

I can't help you with your decision about which type of fan to get, but thought I should share my experience with a fan in the kitchen. I had one in my old kitchen because it did get very hot when I cooked, but I couldn't use it much. It blew on my gas range and made the flames behave erratically, and when I prepped (especially when baking) the fan blew ingredients all over the place. So in my new kitchen I've chosed to go fan-less. YMMV.

o

Fouramblues,

That is one of my concerns - the flames. How far away was the fan from your cooktop and how big was your fan?

I can understand about the flour - but I don't bake much, so that would be ok.

Thanks.

o

We have 9' ceilings, and the fan blades were about 1' below that. The fan was about 3.5' lateral distance from the front burners. Good luck with your decision!

o

Oh dear. That was not something I wanted to hear :( It gets so hot in the kitchen.

Thanks fouramblues.

o

The better approach is to look for a hood over the heat producing appliance that has enough capture area and CFM to be able to exhaust that heat produced while cooking. And also have the HVAC person analyze your entire AC system while he's at it. You might also want to install a mini split system directly into the kitchen area in order to help to counteract some of the exhausted air in the summertime if you cook a lot in the summertime.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here