Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laxsupermom

Need help from someone w/ long memory

15 years ago

Back sometime around April someone had posted a picture of there above the frig cabinet. S/he had attached a piece of filler to the bottom of the cabinet with a piano hinge so that the space between it and the frig was usable hidden storage for big trays.

Comments (5)

• 15 years ago

laxsupermom -- I remember seeing that thread (and the photos) and I have used every search phrase I can think of and found NOTHING!

I'm sorry I'm of zippo help, but I remember seeing it. I'll keep searching, though ....

(Does "lax" mean lacrosse? I also want to thank you for the many kind things you have written to and about me in other posts. Seeing your user id always makes me smile and feel grateful. Thank you.)

• 15 years ago

We did - we did it a year ago. I think I got the hinges at Lowes but when I went back to buy more for another space I couldn't find the exact ones I bought which was annoying as you can't see ours at all - funny thing though, I never ever use the space above the fridge. But, its there if we ever use it. We just attached 2 hinges that fold in to an extra filler piece we had but you could order it if you didn't have extra. Other people have done it, but sometimes you can see their hinges so be careful which ones you choose. You wouldn't know ours folds in in less someone told you or you pushed it by accident. It's worth doing, and I think I have stuff up there, just couldn't tell you what without looking . It took about 10 minutes to do - not a big deal or hard DIY at all.

Before:

After:

• 15 years ago

pcjs--
    How clever. Would you be able to take a pic with it open, so I can see how it works?
    Thanks!
    P.

• 15 years ago

It just pushes in - nothing special about it - you push it, it moves in - you tug it, it closes - a picture wouldn't show much in less we removed the fridge so you can see the hinges and we couldn't do that till this weekend. It would be a big pain, but we can do it, if you really need a full pictures, especially if you are DIY. When you push it forward, the wood just hangs on the hinges folded inward. They are firmer hinges so they sit and don't move till you pull it back but there are tons of different hinge styles including some that probably self close - I thought they might show so I got ORB to match the kitchen but it wasn't necessary since you can't see it at all. The key for us was my husband measuring perfectly so there are no gaps on the sides and the fit is snug.

We just had the big hole, had to put something there and my mom was looking at it as we realized how much extra filler we had and thought hinges. The problem with it is I can't reach it well, so it really is only useful in storing extra oven racks and it really isn't an issue keeping them in the oven. I know others use theirs but I don't use it at all, but I like that it is removeable to get into the fridge and it allows air to flow too. I love the idea, but it gets no use. I have an 9 inch base cabinet that didn't hold much so we use that as our cookie sheet, etc. cabinet instead.

• 15 years ago

rmkitchen, thanks so much for looking. You're kind words are too much, because your voice is one that I have so much respect for. We're hanging our over the frig cab today(only 3 more to go) and I thought I could show DH the pic of it. He's very visual. I could describe something for an hour, but if I don't draw a picture, he has no idea what I'm talking about. lax does mean lacrosse. 3 seasons of the year, I sit on the sidelines. Wet in the spring, scorching on metal bleachers in the summer, and freezing on metal bleachers in an unheated sports dome in the winter. The other season is football season.

pcjs, with the filler pushing in does that decrease the usable space in the gap? I'm wondering if that's why you haven't used it much.

Sponsored
John Romans Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full Service, Turn-Key Construction & Design Company