Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
dimmable led uc light questions

Posted by andreak100 (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 10, 13 at 21:20

I'm still struggling with what to do about UC lighting...it's been one of the portions that I've looked at a bit, got confused and frustrated (I just can't seem to wrap my head around it) and left it to deal with at another time. Well, "another time" is really going to need to be soon...so, I've got to figure it out. I've been reading all of David Tay's helpful info in the Lighting Forum and it's helped a bit.

One thing that I seem to be reading a bit is that the dimming portion is so-so, at best. My plan is to use my UC lighting both as task lighting and ambient lighting...so, I need something rather bright that will dim down considerably.

For those of you who installed dimmable UC LED - what did you go with? How do you feel about the dimming qualities of those lights? If you had to do the lighting all over again, is there anything that you would change?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: dimmable led uc light questions

We went with inspired led.com. They were great and easy to work with. I sent them our kitchen specs and their rep Bryan drew up a plan for us. My husband installed them yesterday and they are great! We used the Ultra bright warm white flex strips and a Lutron Diva Dimmer. Absolutely no problems with dimming. At full power the lights are as bright as you could possibly need. They dim down to a barely detectable light. No regrets here!

o

WE used Utilitec LED bars from Lowes. We've been very happy with them and plan to use them in our new build as well.

o

We used Maxlite bars 18/12 in from Environmentallights.com. No complaints, they are pretty bright and dim well. They were great to work with, send in you plan, they can set up a cart with all your needed items for checkout. Great when I called with questions too. Be sure to sign up for the newsletter before purchasing, they send you a 10% off your order coupon.

Not sure if you are installing yourself. These can be direct wire or plug in. Either way, easy to connect bars and set things up as they are self driven. No extra stuff needed.

o

WE used Utilitec LED bars from Lowes. We've been very happy with them and plan to use them in our new build as well.

o

I bought the light bars from environmental lights and love them. I did a lot of research first. The are plenty bright and dim just fine. I don't recall reading about dimming issues and I have none. It could be that others bought the wrong dimmers. That part was somewhat confusing but I guess I got it right.

o

We used Philips EW Profile Powercore uc lighting. They are plenty bright and dim very well with the Lutron Maestro LED dimmer. I would purchase them again.

o

I want to thank all of you for sharing. I am learning so much.

o

I have Seagull Linear LED. They consist of a flat cable that is installed under the cab, then you put in these little lights every so often. Even though I pretty much never dim it, it does dim well. I think I have some sort of compatible Lutron dimmer, maybe Diva?

My GC put in white cable, and I realized too late it might have been better black, but in the end it didn't matter at all. You never see it unless you stick your head under the cab to look at it, and it doesn't reflect in my medium toned granite. If someone has shiny black granite, though, I think the black cable would be better.

The link below is different from how it was when I used them. They have new products, too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Seagull UCL

o

We used Armacost LED strip lighting and installed it ourselves. It is plenty bright and was easy to install. Total cost was only $161.

While we did not add a dimmer for ours, they do offer a dimmer that can be used on the 12V side (wired in after the power supply).

Check out the link below for more information about our install.

Here is a link that might be useful: My UCL install

o

I used the Designer Series from Inspired LED. These are custom sized light bars with integral diffusers. As noted above, you send them your cabinet plan and they will come up with a list of what you need. The Lutron Diva dimmer works perfectly. I also mixed them with flexible LED tape lining the glass cabinetry.

o

I used GMLarc bars and used dimmers - the dimmers work great!
I think there are cheaper options but I like what we did.
With light bars - you probably need a lower trim. If you use tape, probably OK without.

o

Another fan of inspired LED. We backlit bathroom mirrors, I sent Bryan the info and he drew up the schematics and what we needed. Very reasonably priced and the lighting is wonderful!

o

CSL with dimmers. Very very pleased with the warmth of the light and how smooth the dimming is.

We mounted close to the front edge facing the back of the counter. You can see the wood of our ceiling and the big skylight in the picture. Thanks to GW for helping me with the correct orientation. It is perfect now.

photo F402A4E5-EFC8-4C66-918E-32AEFAE2E1E1-23258-000004C0EFB14220.jpg

photo B83089EA-09C2-4853-B9E3-7AACD9FB2CD8-23258-000004C0EA0E9D43.jpg

o

Thanks for the input. (I discovered that some of the posts aren't notifying me when there are responses). I'm leaning toward Inspired LED or Environmental Lights right now.

o

Thanks for the input. (I discovered that some of the posts aren't notifying me when there are responses). I'm leaning toward Inspired LED or Environmental Lights right now.

o

I've just picked up a set of the Utilitech Pro Designer LED under cabinet lights at Lowes and they look promising. However, I have not installed them yet, so this post is mostly in case anyone would like to see their specs. The image shows the four sizes (9", 14", 22" and 30") from right to left and has useful info about their color temperature, lumens and CRI. They can be found at the following links:
http://www.lowes.com/pd_378136-1390-GU0209CL-BA-I_0__
http://www.lowes.com/pd_378137-1390-GU0414CL-BA-I_0__
http://www.lowes.com/pd_378139-1390-GU0622CL-BA-I_0__
http://www.lowes.com/pd_378141-1390-GU0830CL-BA-I_0__

o

I was told to use rope LED lighting for under cabinets ...Has anyone else done that ...and are you pleased with it?? Also I will have 3 different areas to light....so do I need to have plugs in each of those area's installed under cabinets or are they hot wired in? Where is the dimmer switch placed? Can one switch operate all 3 areas? Boy am I Dumb about this!
I also have 2 wall corner cabinets that I want a light put in, was told at Lowe's to use a puck light and have the switch put in the cabinets...that doesn't sound right to me? I asked her about the LED rope lights for that area..and she looked puzzled...I don't think she knew anymore than I did about all of this...lol...thanks for your help and guidance with this.

o

On a similar line as calyle7, I am thinkink of using rope or strip LED lights for most of my undercabinet lighting where I just want to brighten things up/ add some mood lighting. Then I was thinking of a light bar under the cabinets over my primary work space, going for more of true task lighting.
Hoping to have all dimmable. Does this idea seem to make any sense?

o

I'm so completely, utterly confused about my UC lighting that I've given up for the time being and am just using the cans in my kitchen!

I posted on the lighting forum, but didn't really understand the answers!

Here's my situation, and I'd be grateful if someone could help point me in the right direction:

My electrician installed some wiring for undercabinet lights. Right now there are these big thick wires sticking from under the end of each run of cabinets. There is a switch for the undercabinet lights at the end of one run of cabinets. I was thinking of buying Ikea's undercabinet LEDs becasue they are so, so cheap, but when I looked at the package, they have PLUGS.

Can you just cut off the plugs and wire them directly to the wires my electrician installed (OK, maybe he will do this, not me)?

He suggested I purchase a roll of very small LED tape lights from him for $200, and he'd charge me another $200 to install them. I saw a roll of tape lights on HD's website for less than $20, but my electrician claims his are far, far better.

I feel like he's trying to rip me off, but I don't know, and maybe I should just listen to him. Is $400 a lot for UC lights under two fairly small runs of cabinets?

Furthermore, will the tape lights require a transformer? Will they be compatible with those big wires the electrician installed? Will the Ikea lights be compatible with those big wires? I looked at the package, and the Ikea ights seem to include a transformer (there's a big brick thing in the package).

Uh, oh. My head is starting to buzz. I think I'll stop thinking about this. It is literally driving me crazy! What to do, what to do??

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here