Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New quartz install

Posted by astraelraen (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 10, 14 at 21:20

Long time lurker, joined to ask a question.

We were originally going with Silestone, but our provider said Daltile had come out with quartz countertop solution that was a perfect match for the Silestone we chose and was significantly cheaper.

Our quartz counters were installed with what seems like pretty poor seams. I asked the installer about them and he said whatever they used to cut the seam out left black marks? They are a reasonably well known company and I would assume they know how to cut Quartz without damaging it.

Anyway, they came back to 'fix' them. Apparently Daltile doesnt give out color matching sealant so they have to manually color match it.... Well he admitted they don't have it quite matched yet, but he had to 'grind' the seams larger to put more sealant in them?

I'm confused at this point, it seems like we are going to end up with seams that are really wide with mismatched sealant....

Cant figure out how to attach multiple files... here are manual links to pics.
Original seam:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1510099/counters/original seam.jpg

Altered seam:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1510099/counters/altered seam.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1510099/counters/altered seam 3.jpg

This post was edited by astraelraen on Mon, Aug 11, 14 at 11:58

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New quartz install

astraelraen:

Using a single edged razor blade, scrape over the repaired seams. It will not scratch the quartz. It looks to me like they've laid a color match adhesive over the top of the original clear adhesive. Scraping the seams to flush would tell if this were the case or not.

o
RE: New quartz install

Yes that is correct.

But to do that, they had to essentially grind out the seam with some sort of bit and make the seam wider. Also, as you can see in the altered seam the grinding is wavy and uneven.

It seems to me like we are going to end up with a poor seam at this point. I don't want to pre-judge the installer, he is trying to remedy the problem. But I'm skeptical at this point we will ever end up with a good seam.

I think the original seam was good without the black discoloration of the seam.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here