Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deedles_gw

May I bug you guys to look at one other BS idea?

deedles
10 years ago

Just throwing this out there. Whomever said "that white is killin' me" on my last BS thread... well, that's stuck in my head. Wondering about some copper-ey colored tiles instead of white.
I've managed to get the Solatube to pass committee, so the kitchen will be much brighter and my urge to really lighten it up with the surfaces has settled down a bit.

Okay, thoughts on the brown?

Here is a link that might be useful: brown/copper/root beer tile

Comments (37)

• williamsem
    10 years ago

Deedles, I think a darker color like that blends very nicely and keeps the focus on your view. I like that direction!

• Vertise
    10 years ago

Looks very good!

• willtv
    10 years ago

Between, what I'm guessing is wood paneling, and the copper behind the range, and the cabinets, it all looks too brown to me.
    You might try a lighter backsplash with a touch of green in it to pick up the color of the range.
    Something like this.

Or perhaps a mosaic with a very light green interspersed with a bit of brown.

This post was edited by willtv on Tue, Aug 13, 13 at 22:28

• oldbat2be
    10 years ago

Deedles, I can photoshop for you... Please post a picture of the space and let me know which tiles you'd like to see. Best, oldbat2be

• dilly_ny
    10 years ago

I like the copper tiles. I think multi colored mosaics will be too busy.

I love my solar tubes. They bring in a lot of light.

• eam44
    10 years ago

I liked the white, but but the copper looks fine, if a little monochromatic.

Is that sheet copper behind the range? If so, copper colored tile border may be a bad idea. The actual copper will patinate over time, but your tile will not. The colors may match on day 1, but from day 30 on they will be off.

Could you list or post images of the actual counter material, cabinet finish, flooring, paneling and paint? Also, is there a sink wall that will be tiled? Will there be more paint on that wall, or will it be paneling?

• deedles
    Original Author
    10 years ago

willtv: The stove green has so far proven impossible for me to match. The best I can do (so far) is to go a bit lighter or darker and complement. I have a copper sink with a colored patina on the front which demands a solid color backsplash other than the most subtle of shading differences.
    oldbat: thank you for the offer and I may take you up on it soon, but I wouldn't waste your time yet as I don't have the cabinet finish picked out nor the countertop. Just trying to get a feel for directions to go in.
    dilly: agreed on both points. Can't WAIT for some daylight to penetrate that kitchen! It is so dark in there otherwise.
    EAM: It is sheet copper. Good point on that patina issue. Might need a 'waiting period' for tile if it was a copper color that ultimately prevails. Don't have the counter material yet although leaning heavily to a lighter solid surface. Cabinet finish will be a natural or lightly stained white oak (no samples yet of that either) but this is close to what I'm shooting for. There is a sink wall that will be tiled and at present I'm leaning to a 6" tiled backsplash around the kitchen with paint above... BM cloud white or sand white are probable top two. The paneling seen in the image is in the 4 season porch room behind the kitchen and there will be more window than paneling on that wall than the image shows, too.

Here is an updated image with the flooring *(done deal, sitting in boxes in the living room) and the cabinet finish that I'm liking.

• eam44
    10 years ago

Pretty floor and cabinet finish! In your image the lower cabs, sheet copper, and tile all look the same color to me, but in real life there will be shades of difference. That's good.

Try to visualize the other wall. You'll have, from floor to ceiling, cabinet (brown) counter (white) tile (brown) paint (white) cabinet (brown) ceiling (white) - a little stripey, no? Which doesn't mean it won't be pretty - just paste it together to know what you're getting. You may want white tile on that bs.

• rosie
    10 years ago

Regarding that other wall, I don't remember what it looks like, but an easy solution for the background to the cabinets would be to paint it a color the same value as the other colors--i.e., not white. Especially if the exposed wall areas were odd shapes that were just left over, not carefully designed and balanced, it would be good to not feature them with strong contrast. And, as you say, with the addition of more daylight you have more freedom.

Back to this design, it seems to be moving toward a strengthened, more cohesive style, and I think it would look wonderful in place. The green is used again in a fine, nicely hierarchical manner worthy of closer attention, the same for the copper. The stove and hood area would have a strong and artistic presence with, for me, absolutely no need for the addition of perky, look-at-me white. The wood and copper would be rich and warm and the view it sets off so beautifully--compelling.

I'm enjoying watching your process, and your potential choices.

• Bunny
    10 years ago

deedles, I love the color of your real cabinets. Any chance you can update your working illustration to reflect that? The chocolate color is throwing me off.

I don't know if you've already addressed this, but it would also help to see the real space, like a photo. Other than your stove and copper/tile backsplash above it, everything's beginning to look artificial and flat, even the view out the window.

Edited for typos. :)

This post was edited by linelle on Wed, Aug 14, 13 at 10:39

• deedles
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Eam44: Point taken. Actually the ceiling is going to be ponderosa pine planks but, yes, I get the stripey possibility as you describe it. Am not going for that so I'll keep the paint option TBD.

Rosie: see EAM44's comments... same thought as yours for the paint color and I concur. Thank you for your well spoken remarks on the stove wall progress. You are very articulate and your words thoughtful.

Linelle: done and done. You're right, I don't know why I kept that old color in there. DH is emailing me images of the space. It just got framed in yesterday so that'll be all, just framed in old (and new) walls. But, you'll get a feel for the real space maybe...

In the vein of avoiding stripey... I threw a counter on the same color as the tile. AND the beautiful pulls which I cannot locate anywhere on this internet planet so far.

And thank everyone for taking the time to think about my stuff here, I really do appreciate it.

• eandhl
    10 years ago

Where is the single heron? The copper looks nice and really so do the other center tiles but can you tell I really loved the single heron?

• deedles
    Original Author
    10 years ago

eandhl: the single heron. I do love the single heron but I cannot get a color sample from them AND it's a 3 month wait AND it's $$$$$$. I'm talking with the artist that does the tiles that are pictured and if I can't get something going with him I may go back to the single heron and take my chances on color.

Okay, this is the view from what will be the living room into the kitchen. The new sink window is being delivered next week so we left the old one in place for now. You can see the window framing is larger for the new one. And on the left wall is the doorway to the porch room and you can see the framed in openings for either side of the stove.

No, we aren't having a cathedral ceiling... just don't have the ceiling joists up yet.

There were THREE ceilings over this kitchen. 1920-plaster and lathe--1940-some kind of cement-ey stuff and expanded metal and 1974--the lovely dropped ceiling tile business. And bat poop.

• corgimum
    10 years ago

Have you thought of doing a brick-look wall tile?
    http://www.senecatiles.com/cotto/

Just to complicate your decision making, here is another tile artist that does nature inspired tile... He has a heron under ""Contemporary Craftsmen" which he also sells as a gift tile on etsy but in full color.

Here is a link that might be useful: Medicine Bluff Studios

• Bunny
    10 years ago

Oh, your pretty new cabinets!!! So much better already.

p.s. I forgot this space doesn't exist like this already. I guess it's because it's already taken on a life of its own. :)

• deedles
    Original Author
    10 years ago

corgimum: we hadn't considered brick for the kitchen but are looking for some terra cotta tiles for the wood stove area. Those are just beautiful! I'm bookmarking that link, thank you.
    Love that heron tile, too. Beautiful detail on all the tiles! He doesn't offer anything in a long/low configuration, though.

linelle: I know, it's existed 'on paper' for so dang long now. Getting closer.....

• eclecticcottage
    10 years ago

I second the brick idea, but I'm partial since we have it in our kitchen. Well, ours is sheets of faux brick, but we were working with an existing footprint/cabinets/countertop and the others wouldn't work (fit). I think it works exceptionally well with vintage appliances. And you need a jadeite collection to go with that dreamy stove. OMG. LOVE.

• deedles
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I don't think I want to try to clean a brick backsplash, though....

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    10 years ago

Love your tiles, and the stove, and the flooring and copper -- and I think that I would bring the blue or green of the tiles down onto the backsplash, maybe in a slightly softer version.... and I agree, no high contrast white paint.

Also, for the counter, I don't like either the very white against the copper tiles, or the brownish one either. It needs to be something in between, I think. Have you got any particular one in mind? Seems you need to settle on that next, before the backsplash.

I don't know if this will make sense, but your stove is the star, and I think that is a soft color (even though it is kind of vivid too), so the other colors need to be soft also other than accents (like your tiles)

Back in about 1990 I was looking at a beautiful ranch home in Spokane that had a copper tile backsplash. The realtors asked me what I thought of them: I replied that I thought they were lovely -- and they both looked at me like I was insane. I'd not seen it before but I guess at that time they thought it was dated or something.

10 years ago

Love your tiles, and the stove, and the flooring and copper -- and I think that I would bring the blue or green of the tiles down onto the backsplash, maybe in a slightly softer version.... and I agree, no high contrast white paint.

Also, for the counter, I don't like either the very white against the copper tiles, or the brownish one either. It needs to be something in between, I think. Have you got any particular one in mind? Seems you need to settle on that next, before the backsplash.

I don't know if this will make sense, but your stove is the star, and I think that is a soft color (even though it is kind of vivid too), so the other colors need to be soft also other than accents (like your tiles)

Back in about 1990 I was looking at a beautiful ranch home in Spokane that had a copper tile backsplash. The realtors asked me what I thought of them: I replied that I thought they were lovely -- and they both looked at me like I was insane. I'd not seen it before but I guess at that time they thought it was dated or something.

• Jbrig
    10 years ago

deedles,

corgimum has linked you to another heron option, if your original plan doesn't work out, and I also wanted to link you to another site that would maybe have some options for you. I emailed w/ the artist several years ago (when we thought we were going to be doing a major kitchen remodel--that never happened. Heck, we haven't even gotten to the cosmetic update that we eventually opted for ;-) ), and she was very helpful and informative.

And then here are some other heron tiles:
    http://www.angelfire.com/ny5/missionguild/index30BuyDirectTilesSinglesCattailsReeds.html

https://www.houzz.com/products/heron-8x12-handmade-tile-fine-art-tileworks-prvw-vr~2919684-8-x12--handmade-tile-----Fine-Art-Tileworks-traditional-bathroom-tile-portland

http://www.livingwallstile.com/shop/pond-life/

(This one below kind of reminds me of your current tile choice:)
    http://www.verdanttileco.com/verdantgrandtiles.html

(Scroll down a ways to get to the heron tile choices:)
    http://artsandcraftsman.com/earthsong_tiles.html

http://www.gardenshowblog.com/garden-art/exhibitor-spotlight-wilberton-pottery/

http://www.naturalceramicvisions.com/home/the-artist-s-process

https://www.google.com/search?q=pratt+larson+heron+tile&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=q0AMUo79B6qw2wXti4CQDg&ved=0CFMQsAQ&biw=1440&bih=735

Here is a link that might be useful: Heron tiles and other nature-themed tiles

• eam44
    10 years ago

So, this is not my fault. Someone else mentioned brick, and my mind's eye went immediately to the glazed thin brick at Fireclay tile (link below). Yet another person mentioned blue or green, so I'm showing you those colors as well as the java, that may or may not work for you, depending on the counter. My favorite is the Fern.

Java
    {{!gwi}}
    Monterey Bay
    {{!gwi}}
    Fern
    {{!gwi}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Fireclay

• enduring
    10 years ago

That was me making the comment about the white.

I agree with who ever said get the counter material first then the backsplash. I like the "unwhite", but maybe a little softer, like someone else also said.

What do you think of this tile for an accent piece behind your stove?

Just kidding :) I was looking for some images of the lovely soft focus handmade tiles that I've seen in backsplashes on GW, but wound up with this beauty.

• cawaps
    10 years ago

I love that tile, but I'd probably hang it on my front door and not on a backsplash where it's likely to get spattered.

• deedles
    Original Author
    10 years ago

jbrig: Those nature tiles are so beautiful and lifelike! Thank you for the links, too. I'm going to explore each of them when I get done with this post.
    raee: apparently EAM44 and you are connected... look at the gorgeous fireclay green tile. I think the counter and BS are going to evolve together because both of them have to be cohesive with the stove and the copper patinated sink. And before I pick the counter, I have to decide on the cabinet finish.. well, I want what I see in the pic that I'm posting but the odds of getting 'exactly' that...? Plus, before THAT I have to see what the tone of the pine ceiling in the kitchen is going to be. I am liking this green fireclay stuff... at least in Paint cut and paste, I do. Maybe I need to order a sample and see if it works with the stove.

EAM44: That green fireclay is GORGEOUS. On the monitor that color is so close to my stove but looks just a bit softer, which would be great. I see that it's thin brick.. okay, when corgimum and eclecticcottage mentioned brick, I was thinking like, brick with deep thick grout lines. But thin brick....

So, I pasted it in there with the copper and then with just a copper trim tile. What do you think? I think I have to order a sample of this. Is it ungodly expensive, I suppose?

Enduring: Haha, reminds me of the door knocker on the old "Christmas Carol" movie. And fwiw, I'm glad you said the white was killing you. It stuck in my head and I really want this kitchen to be perfect... and not find myself wishing that I had taken the time to really exhaust all the possibilities after all is said and done. Plus, it's wide open to the LR, so I do want it to be really pleasant to look at (or easy to ignore as the case may be) when we're in the LR watching movies or whatever.

And oh, I'm talking to the tile artist about using more of the greens in the tiles and diminishing the blue somewhat, fwiw..

Aaaannnd... the pics are tiny again. :?/

• a2gemini
    10 years ago

Hi Deedles - I love the colors in the heron picture. I like it best with the copper backspash.
    I like the counter tiles lighter

• eclecticcottage
    10 years ago

I was thinking brick with big grout lines, actually.

Like mine

I thought DH was messy in the kitchen, but really, I don't find we're cleaning the bs that often os I guess maybe he isn't, lol. These are some type of fiberboard and wipe right up when needed (usually behind the sink), but I think there are tiles that look like brick that wouldn't absorb like brick. There's a pizza place near us that just redid their whole seating area with brick look tiles, it's really nice. We originally were going to use reclaimed bricks as the floor, and that was one thing I recall reading as a big drawback to it, although I guess you CAN seal them. Which is what we'll do when we use them as the floor in the laundry room (they would have needed to be cut to fit as the floor if we didn't want a "toe stubber" tiny step up into the kitchen and that was just never going to happen)!

We have a natural stone hearth pad and I sealed it-twice-and it does still absorb water if we put snow covered wood on it during the winter. The stuff they sell to seal it..I guess isn't what I should have used, because it's not what was recommended when I read up on sealing the bricks.

I like the darker counter and bs.

This post was edited by eclecticcottage on Thu, Aug 15, 13 at 13:58

• Gracie
    10 years ago

I like the warmer look of the copper against the stove. It repeats your sink colors for a cohesive look and creates a complementary frame for the art tile. You don't need tile above the stove from a functional standpoint since the stove already has a backsplash.

I'd also pause and think about whether the heron motif is one you'll love forever. I think other nature-inspired motifs can be prettier than a big bird. Though I love birds and get pretty excited when we see a heron.

• localeater
    10 years ago

Deedles, your kitchen is going to be fabulous and when it is done I may drive across the country just ot have a cup of tea while gazing out your window(and patting the Big Girl).
    Have I mentioned I love the floor. Cannot wait to see it installed. Most definitely copper behind the stove with the herons or something else you fall in love with. I like the fireclay brick, but if the glaze doesnt work i think something in the blue green family to would be good. Something that reminds one of the patina'd areas on the sink.

• eam44
    10 years ago

Deedles, I love the fern and I think it is wonderful with your other materials. Everything about it - the texture, shape, color - seems to be a great fit.

I have never priced the thin brick, but other field tiles from Fireclay seemed to average at about $25/sf. I really wish they would just list prices on their website. It's ridiculous making someone call and ask.

• deedles
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Gol darn it! Got a whole post written and it's lost now.

UHHh!

Anyway, Thanks for the nice comments and suggestion

eclectic: I love your vintage fridge! That kind of tile backsplash isn't for me, though. I'm WAY too much of a mess and really don't want big grout lines. Your kitchen is very charming, though. This thin brick is a big possibility, though!

Mayflowers: I haven't heard back from the tile dude in a couple days so who knows. I do love that kind of tile... artistic with just enough whimsy to make me smile when I look at it. I think I could love it forever (however long THAT is, lol) I did mock it up without the tile... I'll have to look at it awhile to see which I like better. Maybe I don't need the tile after all. DH would be happier if he didn't have to set tile in the middle of a copper sheet, that's for sure...

local: you're invited! Come in summer and we'll float or come in winter and show me how to cross country ski :)
    YA... I can't wait to see the floor installed, either. Piles of boxes just sitting there waiting....September or October for the flooring. November for the kitchen cabinets. Looking to move after Christmas and get our current house on the market and sold by early summer. Ok, getting ahead of myself a bit here... Seems the pale green behind the stove works the best to me, too. I hope the fireclay sample is a good color...

EAM44: it is a great fit IF the color works. Gotta get a sample on the way tomorrow. I did an internet search for prices and couldn't even find it that way! 25.00 sq/ft isn't a deal breaker.. If I did a 6" BS around the whole L I'd need maybe 21 sq. feet. I can just hear DH now ... "what happened to the 3.00 a sq. ft white tile from Lowes?". Poor guy, he has a hard time keeping up with the changes :).

Anyway, here is the tile or no-tile copper backsplash:

• eclecticcottage
    10 years ago

Definately tile in the copper, imo. Breaks it up nicely and gives it a little extra touch.

I've hung out mostly in the garden parts of the forums until recently so I don't know...I assume you're near water? I think the heron is a great idea. We have seagulls (we're on the lakeshore) worked into a few places and eventually probably more, although less "permenant" than tile.

Still liking darker wiht the bs and counter no matter with or without the tiles in the copper.

I totally get what you're saying about brick being hard to clean. I wasn't really sure how well this would work, but it's been a year and somehow we havent really made too much of a mess out of it. We had a tile bs but some tiles were falling off and someone had applied some sort of decorative tile stickers to the border tiles, unfortunately some peeled off...but some were NOT coming off. It looked BAD. I wanted brick...but we couldn't afford the cut brick tiles and the thicker faux brick was too thick. so this worked. Hopefully it keeps working too, lol.

I love my fridge too, I do need to find new seals for it. We paid $100 for that fridge and I sold the Kenmore than came with the cottage for $150. Then we scrapped the junky hotpoint stove for $20 and bought my Floyd Wells for $60. Spent more than $10 in gas to get the two (stove was a 4 hour trip and fridge was a 2 hour trip), but the change in getting 1950's appliances was worth it, lol. Are you going with a vintage fridge to match that gorgeous Chambers?

• deedles
    Original Author
    10 years ago

eclectic: yes, we were lucky enough to find a small (1200) sq. ft. one story on a little river in a little one bar, one bowling alley (okay, that's two bars) 3 church town. The price was right because the house was a w.r.e.c.k. Last remodeled in 1974 in all the shag/paneled 1974 glory of the day. And, we do have herons that sit right across the river from our porch and wait for fish to catch, and we have a heron tile in our shower. Guess we really like herons, lol.

When I get the cabinet finish figured out... then the counter and bs will get decided. A darker counter is definitely not out of the running at this point.

Can you post a pic of your stove? I'd love to see it! Was it a Craigslist buy? We drove 11 hours round trip to get our Chambers. Quite a ride. My DH was so nervous to get that heavy thing back home he wouldn't even stop to let anyone go to the bathroom. White knuckled it all the way. Then 2 months of degreasing and repairing... ohhh that was a job. But worth it. Love the old appliances and look how they are still working right along all these decades later. We bought a used SubZero from Craigslist, so no vintage fridge for me. I just have to have more room than the old fridges offer.

Anyway, I'd love to see your stove! Pics!

• Gracie
    10 years ago

Eandhl mentioned the single heron tile. Have you seen the one from Medicine Bluff Studio? Very pretty in soft shades of green, and reasonably priced! After seeing their tile, I realize your mock-up squishes the heron into a small square tile. It doesn't do the bird justice. A motif that works in a horizontal arrangement would be better, but how would you find something that has the meaning and majesty of the heron?

• deedles
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I did see them and they are beautiful... but vertical. I have an area of 40"w x 20"h behind that stove. I figure if the tile was about 18"w x 6" high it would leave a pretty balanced amount of copper.

Herons are so beautiful and graceful but they are tall dang birds which translates into vertical tiles mostly. Maybe I can find a flying heron?

• eclecticcottage
    10 years ago

Sounds familiar (both the reason for the deal on the house/amount of work) and the stove cleaning. When you need to use a putty knife to scrape the built up grease.. yeah. I have pics of that on my blog.

Surprisingly, the Norge fridge isn't actually that small. This is it next to the kenmore we replaced with it

And the stove, very basic but it's a 30"!

Both were found on CL. I got SO lucky on the stove, it's pretty hard to find a 30" vintage stove. I really wanted a Tappan Dough Boy or a green chambers like yours, but neither would fit and there was NO way to make the spot where the stove lives any bigger.

In case you're looking for more pics my blog is linked below!

Here is a link that might be useful: My Blog

10 years ago

Deedles, going back up a few paragraphs, you mentioned getting more green in the art tiles and less blue; but, I love the blue with your green stove. If you used the green tiles (which I think look awfully nice in your mock-up) I think that the blue provides a balance that sets off the green and copper and makes the art tile pop. And, I think that you MUST keep the art tiles, they just make that area awesome!

If the green fireclay doesn't work, how do you feel about glass? I have seen "clear" or "white" glass tile that is really that glass green which might work with your stove.