Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
a2gemini_gw

out of the abb and into the abt2

a2gemini
11 years ago

Drum roll please!

We are out of the ABT club! We actually have a backsplash. The only leftovers are the trim and table - therefore the ABT2

Here is a sneak preview of the backsplash - I was hoping the trim would be done today but didn't happen. The table is on order and the Amish builder called to see if we could modify the dimensions slightly.

I wanted a little something more over the cooktop and considered a second accent row - but just didn't feel right, so hunted while visiting DM and found the accent pieces.

The pictures look more white than in reality

Backsplash - Grazia Rixi Crema

Accent row - Beach

Accent tiles - Impulse deco

Grout Tek Antique white

South and West wall

East Wall

East wall close up

South wall - cooktop area

It is really hard to take pictures due to the windows in the area - but hopefully when totally done, we will have a full set of good pictures!

Thanks for all of your inspirations - especially CKGM and Chitown!

Comments (46)

• mjher1
    11 years ago

I LOVE your cupboards! The counter and backsplash look really good with them. Is the counter Cambria Bradshaw?

• andreak100
    11 years ago

Very nicely done! Looks great! Your accent tiles really make it!

• fouramblues
    11 years ago

Ha, a2!! I was thinking about calling you out on your backsplash. I was pretty sure it should be almost done. Congrats!! The colors are spot on with your beautiful Buckingham. Still in love with the beach mini brick. Nice job!

• beeps
    11 years ago

Very nice! I love the row of accent tiles. So pretty! :)

• a2gemini
    Original Author
    11 years ago

MJ - Thanks! The colors are hard to show in a picture. The counter is Cambria Buckingham from the Waterstone Collection - rumor has it that they are back ordered on this one....

Andrea - Thanks! I think this is a coast to coast kitchen - Tiles from Italy via California and accent pieces from Pennsylvania. I think I could have found the accent pieces locally but just ran out of time

Four - Thanks - where are you - any luck on the your counter? I still have guilt feelings that it took two slabs for our kitchen due to the avalanche!

• a2gemini
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks beeps - I must have been posting at the same time, so missed you!

• williamsem
    11 years ago

Oh, that's perfect for your kitchen! I love it! Congrats!

• cat_mom
    11 years ago

Hooray! It all goes well together!

• fouramblues
    11 years ago

Still waiting on shipment, which is supposed to be sometime this week, so crossing my fingers.

No need for guilt. :) The avalanche wasn't your fault, and really cambria should be better at ramping up production on the more popular colors. And with communication. I'd better get a cheese board after all this waiting. Just sayin'.

• a2gemini
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Williamsem - thanks - you had a lot of input on my decisions also!!

Cat mom - yeah!!! and thanks - So hard for me as I am not a color or detail person - good at the whole picture but these little details.... You need the wall color yesterday? Oh - grout......

Four - I have my cheese board - I did drop a large hint with my KD/cabinet peeps and sure enough - it arrived! I haven't used it yet but it fits in with my cutting boards just perfectly. I can hardly wait to see yours!!!

• oldbat2be
    11 years ago

Giant smile coming at you from MA :) congrats, how lovely it must look and feel to be DONE! Look forward to the next set of pictures.

PS - love the floors and glass in cabinets too :)

• ginny20
    11 years ago

Lovely, BS works perfectly. In fact, it all works perfectly. Each separate finish is beautiful, but nothing shouts over the top of anything else - cabs, hardware, counters, BS, floor, wall color, all harmonize. Very nice!

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

I heartily approve! Very nice tile design and execution!

• badgergal
    11 years ago

Fabulous! Just enought eye candy to make a statement. It was definitely worth the wait and all the hassle of bringing home samples. Can't wait to see your new table too.
    Two little side notes. I have had 8 extra people at my house all week. They all loved the yogurt berry muffins I made using your recipe. Thanks again for that. Second, with all those extra people in my house my kitchen got its first boo-boo. My new refrigerator is now sporting a small dent. I'm surprised that I am not really upset about it.and that's pretty amazing since I am somewhat of a perfectionist.
    Hope your kitchen stays accident free and that you get to enjoy it for years to come.

• nineteenoeight
    11 years ago

Congrats, late to the party but it sounds like you had quite a wait - hurray that they're in, and I love the accent tiles, great solution rather than a 2nd row.
    Kitchen looks fabulous! Bravo.
    (off to search function to find out what the avalanche was)

• breezygirl
    11 years ago

Yahoooooo! Great job, A2!! The ABB club lost another treasured member today. Sob... I'll miss you! ;)

• aliris19
    11 years ago

So wiggly! I love that counter-stone. Thanks for the vision!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

Love that tile with that counter!

• maggieq
    11 years ago

Gorgeouse, and perfect with the Cambria.......so worth the wait!

• labbie
    11 years ago

It looks beautiful! That accent tile is just the right amount of interest and looks great with the cabinets and countertops. Great job!!

• bellsmom
    11 years ago

Ohh, this is good. I don't often care for backsplashes, but I LIKE this one. Enough pattern in the accent row to add variety, but a perfect complement to the other surfaces and colors. I like the diagonal, horizontal, and vertical lines in the BS. All subtle but rich. Thanks for sharing.
    Sandra

• cakelly1226
    11 years ago

I love it! I don't see how I helped much since your finished product is so much nicer than anything I could have imagined!!!! I adore it!

• a2gemini
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sorry I couldn't get back sooner- some of you saw the other post about my husband's bicycle accident - turns out he is OK - just a concussion, so the brain bucket worked.

CK - thanks! Love your support after all of your struggles. You helped by steering me clear of the variable color tiles and paying attention to the grout!

Bellsmom - Thanks! I was never a backsplash person either - so this is new territory for me also!

Labbie, Maggie, Annie - Thanks! This was a labor of love - I have a whole box of tile samples in the basement - anyone need samples - I have them! - Wait, I also have paint samples in the basement - LOL!!

Aliris - Wiggly? Is that a new GW term!

Breezy - Glad to be out as I am not sure my DH would have survived much longer with an incomplete kitchen.

Nineteen - The retention strap broke in the truck while transporting mine and a few other countertops - and only a couple miles from our house. I was so disappointed - but we had a new one in 1 week - poor Four - she has been waiting so long for her Buckingham and I "tease" her that it is all our fault that there is a back log of Buckingham - not that we had anything to do with the truck problem or the production from Cambria....

Badger - Eye Candy for sure!! On our morning runs, we keep an eye out for eye candy runners - we even named one of our routes eye candy as best chance of spotting eye candy males on the route - oops - hope my DH isn't reading this!! Glad you loved the muffins - did you try the oatmeal - it is great with groups also. Now, we have something else in common - our old kitchen had a dinged fridge door! Small world!!!

Ginny and Angie - thanks for the support - I had such a tough time figuring this out. Definitely not my forte - but glad it came out right as my DH wouldn't let me do it again...

OldBat - thanks!!! I will post pictures after we finish the trim. The glass cabinet has LED tape light inside. Believe it or not - the floor is the original floor - we just had it refinished.

• Ann Scheley
    11 years ago

Looks great! Warm and inviting! Congratulations!

• poohpup
    11 years ago

That turned out great! Looks just beautiful!! So happy to hear you're out of the ABB club.

We're almost DONE. BS is in, paint was finished Friday. All we're waiting on now is a couple of dimmer switches and the new cans for the ceiling.

• a2gemini
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Annsch - Thanks - warm was what I was trying to achieve - too many gray days around here!!

Pooh - you were also one of my inspirations - I think you kept me in check with reality - especially not going with the back painted glass.

We only have trim detail to complete - and hopefully our table will come in the next couple of weeks (maybe even next week as I know they were making it - called to see if they could modify the dimensions)

Now to take a deep breath (and take care of DH for a couple of days)

• chitown_remodel
    11 years ago

Your backsplash is gorgeous. I love the detail above the range-not too much but enough that it separates it from the rest of the run. The colors are a perfect match to your counter top. It looks fantastic!

Hope your DH is doing better!

• a2gemini
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Chitown - when I saw your kitchen, I knew what I wanted to do - your kitchen has subway tiles but the concept was born!
    It worked out perfectly using the 5x5 as the first row as just enough room to fit the beach accent!
    Thanks for you "help" and inspiration - it was an aha moment and as you know, I have referred to your kitchen on several posts!!!

DH is doing better - he still is having headaches but his brain is unscrambled! I gave him orders not to drive to work tomorrow or Tuesday - he will try to work in spurts from home.

• a2gemini
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Annie - I forgot to credit you as my other inspiration!!! I first saw Chitown and that is what started my brain thinking - but you used the 6x6 with the single row and the diagonal above.

Guess so much going on that I forgot that piece. Sorry!

• Donaleen Kohn
    11 years ago

Love how much light the backsplash adds to the kitchen... nice to look at, too.

• chiefy
    11 years ago

Oh, I love, love, love it. I've already emailed the pic off to my DH for inspiration.

• bahacca
    11 years ago

LOVE how it turned out! Now for me to get on the ball so I can ditch the ABB club.

• a2gemini
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I just love this forum and thanks everyone for feedback - By the time I post my final pictures, you will all be bored with my kitchen!

Donaleen - Thanks! My DM told me I was getting too many dark elements - so started to look for some lighter pieces in the backsplash. I was sure the Grazia Butter was going to be perfect but just didn't work (as much as I like others with it including CK)

Chief76 - Hope your DH is more engaged than mine was - but he came through in the end.

Bahacca - thanks - you still have lots of company in the ABB club!

• Jody
    11 years ago

A2 .... absolutely LOVE your kitchen. I love the stain on your cabinets .... very warm looking.

And your BS is stunning. Simple and elegant at the same time. It's kinda like ours, only we did only the diagonal and then *blocks* behind the sink. I always love tile set on the diagonal .... gives a little more pattern without being too bold.

Your stripe is perfect too!!! And your accent tiles.

Very well done!!! Thanks for emailing me about looking for it ... as I did miss it. Keep in touch!!!

jody

• mjocean
    11 years ago

Well done A2. Your accent tiles really compliment the granite. It must feel so good to be nearing the finish line! Congratulations and enjoy your beautiful new kitchen.

• sandesurf
    11 years ago

A2gemini, I LOVE it too! I'm going tile shopping tomorrow! :)

Congrats!

• phoggie
    11 years ago

What stain is on your cabinets? This kitchen might make me to change from the white I thought I wanted. Loved it!

• momo7
    11 years ago

That looks perfect!

• a2gemini
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Jody Jean - Your kitchen was my first inspiration - and you helped me along the way! Thanks!! Glad I could find your email.

Sandesurf - I posted on your question - but bet you found the answer on here - Grazia Rixi Crema with Tec antique white grout

Phoggie - Funny story on the color - couldn't figure it out and had to make my decision - everything looked like I tried to match the floor and failed. I walked into a series of cabinets at the KD store and said - Perfect - sometimes you just know it when you see it! Oh - Brookhaven Autumn Cherry with black glaze.

Momo7 - Wow - and thanks!!!!

• TxMarti
    11 years ago

It all looks wonderful. I really like your counter and backsplash.

Now a stupid question, what is abb and abt2?

• a2gemini
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Marti8
    ABB is the all but backsplash club. It is a take off of the ABD in university towns- all but dissertation. ABB is used frequently on GW.
    I made up the ABT2 as a spin off from a2 from my handle and location. In this case it stands for all but trim and table! This 3 week project is now pushing 5 months....

• Jody
    11 years ago

a2 .... hey, so GLAD my kitchen BS tile was one of your inspiration ideas!!! Those BS's sure take a lot of time to *find* the right one!! It was way harder to pick this than my granite.

Your kitchen is just lovely .... and I *know* you cook way more than I do .... ENJOY!!!

jody

• a2gemini
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks JJ
    I had a lot of inspirations but you were one of the first...
    I can cook OK - but miss the presentation piece - maybe when I retire??

• a2gemini
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I am bummed - our table for the sun room was supposed to arrive this week and now it won't arrive until mid October.... Grrr, but hopefully worth the wait...
    So, won't be posting final pictures until later in October or November....

• Mags438
    9 years ago

Tile design and work looks really great. Love the design, so glad this thread was linked to a current thread.

• a2gemini
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you mags!