Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
purrus

Kraus stainless sink feedback

purrus
9 years ago

Hi!

I'm looking at this sink right now. It looks to be a great deal considering that the grid and strainer are included.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0032C5YGI/ref=ox_sc_act_title_5?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

and wondering whether the drain is far enough off centered to give me maximal space in the cabinet beneath it. Would it be better to get something where the drain is off to one side, like this one?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FEZBVJK/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AOXSRG6WMYPTS

Also, the Kraus sink has some reviews that express frustration with the fact that the sink doesn't have enough pitch to drain effectively. Is this a common problem with large rectangular sinks or is this really something problematic about this particular sink?

Finally, is this sink a good size for a 42" sink base? (The Kraus sink above is 32".)

So is this a good deal or a buyer beware situation? Are there better deals to be had? I splurged on our countertops big-time, so I need to be budget-minded on things like the sink (but of course don't want to sacrifice quality).

Thanks in advance!

Here is a link that might be useful: Kraus sink

Comments (27)

• Mags438
    9 years ago

We installed the same sink. The off center drain should work for us (under sink rollout not installed yet). We are able to place smaller cans for recycle and trash to the right & left of drain which was my biggest concern since we didn't have an alternate space for trash/recycle. The 10" depth sink is deep!! The pitch could be sloped a bit better but we just spray it down. Compared to what we had (and the price point), that is minor for us. If we did stainless sink (DH wanted, I'm not a fan) again, at this point, I wouldn't hesitate to purchase again. I can't speak to the longevity yet since it's only been a few months. Definitely no tin-ny sound which was one of the determining factors for me, if we had to do stainless sink.

• purrus
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the feedback!! Anyone else? Or any recommendations perhaps of shallower sinks? The depth does worry me a bit.

• purrus
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Awesome. I just pulled the trigger. For me, I just can't beat the price, and I figure a slightly less wide sink (that to me will still seem like a swimming pool after my 6" deep double sink for the past five years) will just give me a little more counter space on either side. So excited!!!!! Now to get this project rolling!!

• suzanne_sl
    9 years ago

I've had this sink for almost 3 years now and love it every day. Good choice.

• Jancy
    9 years ago

I have a smaller Kraus sink, 23 inch for a couple of months now and I love it. It's much deeper than my previous sink so it hides everything put in it. Packaging was great and I especially love the sink grid. Great price too.

• ck_squared
    9 years ago

Good decision, OP. That exact Kraus sink has been in use for 6+ months and I love it. The fact that I have to chase food down the drain is annoying but the large capacity and quality of the sink outweigh that little annoyance for me.

Plus, you got a great price! A year ago (and a few months ago, too, for that matter) it was priced at $369.

• kitykat
    9 years ago

I have a Kraus, only 30" and with rounded corners, not squared off. Had it for over a year and it is fine. We removed the bottom grid recently, as I tired of the gunk getting in the plastic feet and side bumpers... an 'ick' factor. It IS deep, and our backs ache when spending much time working in the sink. I am 5'4". Given my absolute preference, I would like a shallower sink, more like 8"... or a higher counter. A similar sink that was not under mounted in granite would be easier as well. As for the drain pitch, that is no problem.

• alwaysfixin
    9 years ago

I am going slightly OT, but want to address Kitykat's point about back ache at the sink. There are many contributing factors to back ache at the sink, and since Kitykat is not tall at 5'4", the depth of the sink is not likely the culprit. Typically tall people have that issue as they have to reach farther down into the sink than a shorter person.

Other things that cause back strain at the sink:

- an undermounted sink is installed some distance from the counter edge. The 4" or so strip of countertop in front of the sink causes you to lean slightly to use the sink. That slight lean can cause back strain in people with back problems. Of course, many people do not have an issue with this at all. But for those that do, the best solution is to have an apron front sink. The apron front sink is right up against the body, so no lean needed. This is not an option for the posters on this thread, but for anyone reading this thread who has back problems, they should consider this option.

- I recommend against a high-arch pull-down faucet for someone with back issues. That style faucet is close to the rear of the sink. It means you will be bending and reaching more in order to rinse under the faucet. A pull-out faucet instead reaches several inches more into the center of the sink, so you don't have to reach as far to rinse things under a pull-out.

- a tile floor is hard on some people's backs. Either install a cork or wood floor, or buy one of those mats to stand on in front of the sink.

- get a sink grid for your sink to raise the bottom another inch if you feel the sink is too deep to reach into comfortably. But to Kitykat's point, some people find cleaning the grid, and getting the grime off the nooks and crannies of the grid, to be a pain.

• eve72
    9 years ago

chinese steel will rust do to it's impurity.

• shannonplus2
    9 years ago

Eve72 is wrong. And it should be noted that Kohler, Blanco, and Franke brands all sell chinese-made sinks under their own names. You have to call the companies with the sink's model number to determine where the sink is made, or look at the box if you have it.

The Kraus 16-gauge stainless steel sink does not rust. When rust appears on stainless steel it is because something external, like particles from a Brillo pad, is on the stainless steel's surface that is rusting. You can use Barkeepers Friend to remove it.

Note that ANY stainless steel sink can show rust if steel wool like Brillo or other steel wool pads are used on it. I repeat, ANY brand of stainless steel sink, regardless if it is chinese-made, german-made or usa-made. When you use steel wool on stainless, iron residue is left by the steel wool on top of the stainless steel, usually too small to be seen, but it ends up rusting. From Franke's website:

"Steel wool or metal scouring pads should never be used to clean your sink as they will leave a residue of small iron particles. They may not be readily visible, but they will lead to rusting and corrosion of the sink."

To the OP - regarding your question where you linked the Elkay ECTRU30179R sink with corner drain, as compared to the Kraus sink with the rear-center drain. While I do like the corner drain, I don't like that the Elkay is thinner 18 gauge compared to the Kraus 16 gauge SS. While some say it doesn't matter, I disagree. The thinner 18 gauge sink will have a tinnier sound to it, and just a different "feel" than the 16 gauge sink. I think the drain placement on the Kraus is fine.

Regarding your question about the 42" cabinet, I do not understand why you would use a 42" cabinet instead of the 33" cabinet that the Kraus sink fits into. You are letting go to waste 9" good inches of cabinetry! Many people on this forum would give their right arm for 9 extra inches of cabinetry. I do not know your kitchen design plans, so you must have a reason - can you please explain why you want to put a 32" sink into a 42" cabinet?

• westsider40
    9 years ago

i have a 30 Kraus for 3.5 years. Love it. Never had a grid before and love love the grid. The slope could be greater but it's a non issue, esp after all this time.

I got a one hp disposal, because I didn't know any better, and should have gotten a smaller one to give more room underneath.

Ten inches deep is wonderful. I have no backaches but I think that's due to my Kohler Karbon faucet, which is articulating. I dont have to reach at all to get to the faucet and it sprays everywhere. Love the Karbon and so does my back.

I overthought the drain placement and worried a bit but the grid makes that also a nonissue. Liquid can drain into the sink while pots and dishes are there because the grid lifts all the stuff..

I also keep a 'garbage box' inside the sink lined with a plastic grocery bag so that I have a place for trash, in a handy spot. I got lucky and found a lucite square box, about 10 inches tall, and keep it inside the sink. It's in a corner and doesnt take much room nor affect the function. It is less pretty but very convenient.. Sorry I dont have a photo.

love my Kraus purchased at Overstock. Great price.

• purrus
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Shannonplus, good question about the sink base!

When I first talked to my KD I said one of my main frustrations iwth my current (crappppppy) kitchen was my tiny little sink. I said I wanted the largest sink I could find for a reasonable price. with that in mind, she designed a 42-inch sink base. I never really noticed it until I took the plans home with measurements (our KD place doesn't allow you to take measurements until you've put a down payment). So I have bought my sink, but have a 42-inch sink base. I figure I can use that space for something, right? And I will have the same countertops no matter what.

I think it is too late to make changes since she's ordered the cabinets already. Just so you know, though, I did write her to ask after I read your message. I'll be OK with it either way because I know I can, for instance, mount a paper towel holder under there, or keep extra trash bags, or whatever.

• shannonplus2
    9 years ago

Purrus - thanks for answering my question; that makes sense. Now, for the faucet! :) Have you decided on a faucet?

• purrus
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Shannon!!

Yes, I ordered the Delta Trinsic for cost reasons. Also, I asked about it here and it got great reviews. I also love how it looks! I hope it works great with my sink. I have read other people's frustrations about their faucets not reaching far enough for their sink sizes, or splashing too much (hopefully won't be an issue with a ten-inch-deep sink!).

I'm going with a chrome finish for the faucet because I love how sparkly chrome looks--like a pretty piece of jewelry in the kitchen. I think my pulls will be a dull black--I'm trying to artfully combine finishes because I'm trying to avoid the matchy-matchy look. That leaves me wondering what the heck I should do with light fixtures!!

Here is a link that might be useful: delta trinsic in chrome

• purrus
    Original Author
    9 years ago

In fact, I think I will start a new thread asking about how all this will work together and what to do about the pendants.

I really appreciate all your help!!

Westsider, your point about too large a GD is well taken. I need to keep that in mind. I don't want a crappy one that will break (I am so tired of leaks from my existing kitchen), but I definitely don't want a stupidly large one, either. Another thing to ask GWers!

I also love the idea of the garbage box--I may do something like that for the compost. Right now, I just use a random mixing bowl that I'm not currently using and we empty it after each meal.

• purrus
    Original Author
    9 years ago

...and the sink arrived today and it looks BEAUTIFUL. I cannot wait to use it. It will probably be at least two months before I get to... almost certainly.

Also, seriously, I could bathe big fat triplet babies in there. (I have a ten-month-old chub of my own, haha!)
    Wow! It's huge and beautiful!

• Jancy
    9 years ago

Glad you love it purrus! It really is a beautiful sink. Enjoy

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

I've had 1 hp garbage disposals and I've had smaller ones and there's no getting around it, the 1 hp models do their job better than the smaller ones. Insinkerator Evolution is the way to go - 1 hp and quiet.

• purrus
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sjhockeyfan, thank you for that too on the disposal. We have had terrible luck with the one that was here when we bought the place-- leaks, jamming, etc. I over it. I want compact but not something that will break or not work very well

• ctbert
    9 years ago

Hi
    We are looking at these sinks . Any feedback on the rounded side model with drain in middle (KBU14) versus square sided with drain to the back (KHU100-32)?
    Seems like rounded sides would be easier to clean and would drain better......

• ctbert
    9 years ago

Also, which faucets go color wise if I am looking at stainless? Was checking out some of the Delta ones but am wondering about their Arctic Stainless , if color is off?
    Thanks

• NWRain-Gal
    9 years ago

Hi ctbert,

We have had the KBU14 Kraus sink for almost 11 months now and we just love, love it!

Compared to the small 23inch, 6inch deep white enamel sink in our old pre-remodel kitchen, this is a dream! I would have to say that this sink is probably tied with my range for my favorite thing in my new kitchen!

I love the grid, the depth, the 16 gauge and LOVE the big size. I was originally considering the KBU12, but I am so happy I went with the KBU14. I can wash cookie sheets in it completely, pizza pans, big pots fit in perfectly with room left over for other dishes and stuff. It cleans up real nice with dish soap and water. I love the grid, for protecting the sink bottom, and it cleans up with some soft scrub, scrubby sponge and toothbrush. (I do this in my utility sink in the basement about once a week). I use stainless steel magic on the sink to polish it after I clean it. I have no trouble with the sink draining to the center hole. The rounded sides make for easier cleaning. Before bed, I just use the pull down faucet and swish the water to get any debris left in the sink down the hole. I do sponge-wipe dry any water spots from the sides of the sink every night. I know, maybe I'm obsessive about it, but it makes a perfect sink for the morning use :)

My Mom has the KBU12 (her kitchen size wouldn't allow a KBU14) for 2 years and she loves hers too.

We both have the Delta Leland pull down faucets in stainless steel (not the arctic stainless color, there was something weird about the color... the look).

Both our Delta Lelands are number: 19978-SSSD-DST. We both like our faucets very well. Very functional. The pull down is magnetic lock so it clicks firmly back in its position. We have had zero problems so far. We also liked that there is only one hole that had to be made in the quartz counters.

We both bought our Kraus sinks from Amazon (great price!) and our Deltas from Home Depot.

My kitchen is traditional with white cabinets in a craftsman bungalow and my Moms is also traditional style with honey Maple cabinets in a split-entry home.

I'm attaching a picture of my sink and faucet.

I hope this helps you decide on which sink and faucet you will choose. I think you won't be disappointed with either of these products. :)

• NWRain-Gal
    9 years ago

Hi ctbert,

We have had the KBU14 Kraus sink for almost 11 months now and we just love, love it!

Compared to the small 23inch, 6inch deep white enamel sink in our old pre-remodel kitchen, this is a dream! I would have to say that this sink is probably tied with my range for my favorite thing in my new kitchen!

I love the grid, the depth, the 16 gauge and LOVE the big size. I was originally considering the KBU12, but I am so happy I went with the KBU14. I can wash cookie sheets in it completely, pizza pans, big pots fit in perfectly with room left over for other dishes and stuff. It cleans up real nice with dish soap and water. I love the grid, for protecting the sink bottom, and it cleans up with some soft scrub, scrubby sponge and toothbrush. (I do this in my utility sink in the basement about once a week). I use stainless steel magic on the sink to polish it after I clean it. I have no trouble with the sink draining to the center hole. The rounded sides make for easier cleaning. Before bed, I just use the pull down faucet and swish the water to get any debris left in the sink down the hole. I do sponge-wipe dry any water spots from the sides of the sink every night. I know, maybe I'm obsessive about it, but it makes a perfect sink for the morning use :)

My Mom has the KBU12 (her kitchen size wouldn't allow a KBU14) for 2 years and she loves hers too.

We both have the Delta Leland pull down faucets in stainless steel (not the arctic stainless color, there was something weird about the color... the look).

Both our Delta Lelands are number: 19978-SSSD-DST. We both like our faucets very well. Very functional. The pull down is magnetic lock so it clicks firmly back in its position. We have had zero problems so far. We also liked that there is only one hole that had to be made in the quartz counters.

We both bought our Kraus sinks from Amazon (great price!) and our Deltas from Home Depot.

My kitchen is traditional with white cabinets in a craftsman bungalow and my Moms is also traditional style with honey Maple cabinets in a split-entry home.

I'm attaching a picture of my sink and faucet.

I hope this helps you decide on which sink and faucet you will choose. I think you won't be disappointed with either of these products. :)

{{!gwi}}

• ctbert
    9 years ago

NWRain-Gal
    I thought those Delta faucets were only available in Arctic stainless, which has a bluish tint. So that is helpful info. I will check them out.
    Your sink looks beautiful! I learned about them from this forum. When I asked the plumber, he said " those are very good sinks!" Dave Brushett, who is going to do my soapstone counter, said the same thing. And the price is great!

• HU-924405932
    3 months ago

Any experience wirh the black stainless from kraus?

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    3 months ago

Black stainless from anywhere is simply a black coating that will scratch as silver underneath.