Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Show me your kitchen/dining room remodel

Posted by maggie530 (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 18, 13 at 21:10

Dear Gardenwebbers, I have a friend who is looking to purchase a home in an older community and the homes she is looking at all have closed off kitchens. She is open to renovating but comes from having a formal dining room and is trying to imagine how she could create a shared space for both. I told her that MANY Gardenwebbers had created some incredible spaces and hope you will be willing to share some photos with her!

Thanks so much :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Show me your kitchen/dining room remodel

Our new space is rather informal, but it works for us:

photo image_zpsceea6937.jpg

We used to have a very separate formal DR, a smallish kitchen, and a small breakfast area.

o

My Kitchen and DR were originally two separate rooms with a small table space in the kitchen (very small!) When we remodeled, we removed the wall b/w the Kitchen and DR, added a peninsula for some separation, and eliminated the small table space in the Kitchen. This gave us a much more functional Kitchen with plenty of counterspace and room for multiple people working at the same time.

An added bonus is that we now use our DR every day for meals - no more wasted square footage (rooms not used much).

Here's our old Kitchen facing into the DR doorway

Left side:
Before, Entire Run of cabinets & appliances & View from FR photo BeforeEntireRunofcabinetsappliances.jpg

Right side:
Before, Table & Refrigertor photo BeforeTableRefrigertor0003401x301.jpg

Here is our new Kitchen from the same point of view but with the wall down b/w the DR and Kitchen

Left side:
EntireKitchenviewfromFRIMG_3912400x photo EntireKitchenviewfromFRIMG_3912400x.jpg

Cookop Wall view from FR photo CooktopSidefromFRIMG_5017400x300.jpg

Right side:
Sink Wall view from FR photo SinkWallfromFRIMG_5027400x300.jpg

View from DR (opposite end of the kitchen)

Entire Kitchen, view from DR photo EntireKitchenviewfromDRIMG_3833400x.jpg

o

We also had a separate small dining room, and a small kitchen that communicated with a long, narrow ''family room'' that also held our kitchen table. We removed two walls to open things up, and we also now use the dining room area for all our meals.
Before-kitchen:

photo IMG_0121.jpg

photo IMG_0117.jpg

Table at one end:
 photo IMG_0120.jpg

Other end:
 photo IMG_0119.jpg

New:
 photo IMG_0157-1.jpg
 photo IMG_0219-1.jpg

photo IMG_0558.jpg photo IMG_0240.jpg

Opening things up was absolutely the right thing to do for us, and it also fits well with the house.

o

fouramblues - What a beautiful space! I love your lighting and your windows.

buehl - Gorgeous! And I want your view when washing dishes!

leela4 - What a transformation, you can barely recognize it's the same place! I love all the book cubbies. I have so many cookbooks, it would be nice to be able to store them in the kitchen!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here