Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
clerkshipwanted

thinking induction but...

housebuilder14
9 years ago

where will i put my pots/pans to dry?
currently they go on top of the burners on my very large wolf range.
will i actually have to towel dry them if i want them out of the way???

Comments (16)

• _sophiewheeler
    9 years ago

Dishwasher.

• a2gemini
    9 years ago

Nope- just put a towel on top of the cooktop and let them dry - or a silicone mat.
    You won't have to match the pan to a burner to dry- just put them anywhere.
    Sacrilege- I put mine in the DW

• alex9179
    9 years ago

Wow. Not even a consideration for me. They dry in the DW or on the dish mat on the counter if I've used more than would fit in the DW. I've never dried dishes/pots/pans on my cooktop...electric or gas.

I love my induction. I've never loved a cooking medium, before.

• Texas_Gem
    9 years ago

Everything goes in my dishwashers. I generally throw or give away anything that needs to be handwashed. Ain't nobody got time for that!! ;)

• ssdarb
    9 years ago

I have an induction cooktop. I don't lay things on there to dry, but I guess if you put a towel or drying mat on it that would be ok. Do you have a dishwasher? I do put some pots and pans in my DW, but not everything. For the things that I hand wash I use a towel or mat right by the sink, or
    I just wipe them dry and put away. I love the induction cooktop. I can cook with more exact control, and get dinner on the table much faster than before. Go for it!

• live_wire_oak
    9 years ago

The ONLY thing that doesn't go in the DW is my cast iron skillet and knives. Life's too short to handwash anything!

• thepeppermintleaf
    9 years ago

I have a glass top stove now, and I put a towel down for anything that doesn't fit in our dish drainer (no DW yet). I would think an induction would be even better for this since you wouldn't need to wait for the burners to cool off!

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

I don't even understand the question. If you put pots on pans on your current cooktop to dry, why wouldn't you do the same thing on an induction cooktop?

• housebuilder14
    Original Author
    9 years ago

huh - i handwash all my pots and pans - some nonstick and some not. i never even thought about putting them in the dw and i put almost everything in there. good to know its ok to do!
    now i just have to find the room in the dw

• a2gemini
    9 years ago

Housebuilder - most non stick pans are not recommended for the DW
    Otherwise, add a Miele DW to your wish list. I don't even rinse the pans(just get rid of larger food chunks) and toss int DW.
    My Mac and cheese pan with baked on cheese, my cake pans and most other items come out clean - truly amazing!

• live_wire_oak
    9 years ago

If you can't fit what you need into your DW, then the solution is two dishwashers! I've done plenty of kitchens with two dishwashers. Join the club. :)

• jerzeegirl
    9 years ago

will i actually have to towel dry them if i want them out of the way???

You should continue to handwash your pots and pans if you go induction. The reason is that the heat from the dishwasher can warp the bottoms. Warped pots and pans can make a little noise on an induction cooktop so keeping them as flat as possible is a good thing. So the answer to your question - if you are hand washing you might as well hand dry!

Edited to add - I love my induction cooktop and would never have anything else now that I've used one!

This post was edited by jerzeegirl on Mon, Aug 25, 14 at 17:56

• MizLizzie
    9 years ago

I use this magical thing over the sink after dishes are done. Someone posted it here a while back and I could hug them. Often I put it right in the countertop.

Here is a link that might be useful: Roll out dish drain

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

Jerzeegirl, why would the heat from the dishwasher warp the pans any more than the heat from the hot water in the sink? I'm seriously curious.

• jerzeegirl
    9 years ago

I have no answer for you. I know that my old dishwasher used to get very hot for an extended period of time during the dry cycle so maybe that has something to do with it. .

I got this advice from someone on the appliance forum ages ago when I was looking for an induction cooktop and it sense to me so I guess I have been handwashing cookware ever since. I really can't recall the reason this person gave but it may have something to do with the way the lamina at the bottom of the all clad pans are joined together.

It's really not that big a deal to wash pots and pans and honestly I have so much other stuff in my dishwasher that there really isn't much room for the big stuff.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

during the dry cycle

Most new dishwashers (mine included) don't have a dry cycle. It makes sense if the drying were the problem, though. I wash all my pots and pans in the dishwasher (if I had to hand wash them, they'd never get washed :-) ).