Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Stainless steel countertops

Posted by boone_2009 (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 6, 12 at 21:07

Hi, everyone!

For those of you who have stainless steel countertops:

Did you go with ss only or did you mix it with another countertop material like granite/quartz?If you mixed it up, where did you put the ss - around the sink? cooking area? prep area?
If you have ss only throughout your kitchen, do you have ss appliances, too? If so, do you feel it is 'too much' or that your kitchen looks more commercial than residential?

What kind of stainless steel is best ( brushed, gauge etc) for countertops?

Woul you recommend an integrated ss sink with the ss countertop?

Where did you get the stainless steel from and how is it ( looking for the right word here) 'fabricated'? What about seams?

Is it easy to clean? Do you put your hot dishes/pots directly on it with no resulting problem? Do you have scratches or stains and how do you deal with them?

Would you have ss as a countertop in your next kitchen?

Thanks for putting up with all my questions. I've read *many* web articles and FAQ's on ss countertops but wanted to get *your* personal opinions as actual users and as kitchen experts :-).If you can post photos, I'd love to see them but I'll be just as happy to get your responses sans photos :-).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Stainless steel countertops

I've had two kitchens with brushed SS counters (I forget the gauge). Both times I used it on my sink run with a marine edge (so water won't run off onto the floor). With my first SS kitchen I used a brown granite - antique brown I think - on the cooktop run. In my current kitchen I have quartzite (a stone that looks a little like marble, but is harder than granite) on my cooking run. I don't think I would want all of my counters to be SS, that might be a little too industrial for me. But I love having them and would (will) certainly have them again in my next kitchen.

I have an integrated sink and love it, so yes, I would recommend that if you are doing SS on the sink run. Others here use SS on the cooktop run, so whatever makes more sense for you.

Very easy to clean, including in the seams, I do put hot pots directly in the sink all the time with no problem.

Let me know if I missed anything! Good luck.

o

I have brushed stainless flanking my range. On my perimeter counters and working island I have soapstone, and I have Danby marble on my buffet island. I love the SS around the range; but probably would not want it everywhere. I think it looks great with the soapstone and marble...I have had lots of compliments on it.

o

Thank you very much, Sochi and Gharborwa.
We decided to put brushed ss in the cooktop area as I do love the convenience of being able to put hot pots directly on a surface without using trivets. Your replies helped me a lot.
We will be putting in a ss sink( undermount) and I'm leaning towards having just a ss draining area next to it ( like one I saw in Ikea).
I like quartz, too ( over granite); from what I've read of soapstone it comes only in dark colors and we're looking for a light countertop.
Could you please tell me where you got your ss countertops from?
Thanks again, much appreciated!

o

I got mine from a local SS manufacturer, a father and son shop. They do a lot of the local restaurant business.

o

If you're in the bay area I can recommend the guy we used. (Or Detroit, from an earlier kitchen...)

I like stainless.

o

Thank you, Sochi and Fori.

I don't have any local references - so what should I look for in the Yellow pages...Stainless steel manufacturers or Restaurant supplies?

Fori, we live in Southern California in the San Fernando valley.

o

Fori,

Who did you use? I'm down in San Jose

Gary

o

We used the Industrialists in SF. Not fast! But they did good work.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here