Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ctbert

Please show me your Closet pantry!

ctbert
10 years ago

Hi everyone
Our GC is recessing the kitchen wall to give us a closet pantry space which will have bypass doors. Projected dimensions will be 18" deep and 5 feet wide.
Please share:
photos
feedback on dimensions
shelving ideas
Thanks in advance!!!!

Comments (7)

• bpath
    10 years ago

Why are you using bypass doors? You will only ever be able to access one side at a time. If you use regular doors, you can use the back side for shallow storage, or just hang things like grocery bags, shopping lists. If it's a space issue, can you use bifold doors?

• ctbert
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Bpathome ,
    Yes , regular doors would be nice but
    I think we were looking at something that wouldn't impinge on
    the walkway area
    We have bifold doors in our bedrooms and they are always coming off the tracks - are there ones that don't do that?

• bpath
    10 years ago

My mom's are 44 years old and stay on track, the ones in our old house (also 40 years old) did, too. Can't help with new ones. I have bypass doors on most closets now and would LOVE to take THEM off their tracks. Basically, if you think you have a 5-foot closet you really have 2 28" closets. It's hard to access the space in the middle where the doors overlap.

But, you do what you have to do :)

I had a 24X21" pantry (regular door), and had 18" and 12" lower shelves, and 8" shelves from the middle on up. I liked the shallower shelves; nothing could cower behind taller cans. I also had room to put a shallow basket system on the side wall. Would something like this work for you?

What are you planning to keep there? Just food, or small appliances, too?

• ctbert
    Original Author
    10 years ago

bpathome
    Good point about bypass doors. So we will look into bifold
    And Good question about what we will store there -
    Not totally sure . We are used to having so little storage
    Space!!!
    Food for sure , especially onions , garlic, potatoes and Home canned tomato sauce, etc; canned goods
    Extras on food , paper towels , plates,
    cat food bin and cans ( currently in linen closet)

Not sure what non food stuff
    Anyway , we are very open to suggestions

• Buehl
    10 years ago

Have you checked the Pantry thread in the Gallery? It has pictures and descriptions of many types of pantries.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pantry photos/ pics of pantries

• ctbert
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Buehl!
    Love your pantry.
    Still trying to figure out what to do for doors.........

• allison0704
    10 years ago

Our pantry has a pair of small doors (together equals the size of a regular door). We have a pair like it going into the MBR, MBath and closet as well. They open out, into a small (square) opening where the powder room and main level guest bedroom also are located.

The pantry is 5' x 7'. Shelves are birch plywood, stained. I had our trim carpenter build out according to my specs. He also built a table for the microwave and toaster. It's also great for making a sandwich or putting up groceries. It was based on a potting bench table.

There are more pantries on the link below. Search website for more pantries. More pictures of my pantry can be seen here

Here is a link that might be useful: more pantry ideas

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!