Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
phoggie_gw

Bisque appliances?

phoggie
11 years ago

Does anyone put bisque or biscuit colored appliance in their new kitchens anymore? I really liked the softness of those colors...white is so stark and I am not a SS lover. I saw a bisque frig today and realized how much I have missed them.

Comments (76)

• barbarany
    11 years ago

I actually have all bisque appliances. I had no trouble finding a gas range (GE) dishwasher (Maytag) and OTR microwave (Maytag also). I already had a bisque fridge (Whirlpool Gold), but it is small (22 CF) and I am now looking for a larger fridge. There are still some out there (mostly GE and Sears), but the Sears bisque seems way yellow to me. Going to look at it in a few weeks. I love my bisque appliances and also did not like stainless. they may not be "professional" grade, but I was adamant about keeping the bisque color

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

I posted this on another thread, but I think it warrants a reprise:

------------------------

Our appliance color choice went like this:

Beginning of color selection:

"Hmmm, white, black, or stainless? We'll have a warm wood for cabinets, travertine floor... How about stainless? It is neutral."

"I never really liked stainless. It will be out of date in 5 years."

"No, it probably won't be, it is now part of the canon."

"But I still don't like it."

"Yeah, neither do I, really. White would work okay, but it looks sort of cheesy with the warm wood."

"What about bisque?"

"Yeah, Bisque!! I don't care if it is out of style, we'll be contrarians. Let's do bisque." Okay, www.ajmadison.com, looking for bisque.... "Hmmm, cannot get a french-door fridge in bisque. Only a couple of ranges and cheap DW in bisque. Okay, scratch bisque..."

"That is dumb! Why did they stop making bisque? Okay, black then. Black goes with warm wood."

"Okay, sounds good, a black range would look okay. Black DW sounds kinda classy, too. Black, 36" french-door fridge. Holy crap that is a big hunk of black!! Darth Vader indeed!"

"Hmmm, how about stainless?"

"No, I really don't like stainless. What about white? Wait, didn't we cover this before?"

"OHHH, I KNOW!!! Paneled! We'll get a paneled DW and fridge and a black range! It'll look built it! Sounds good."

Ring riiing... "Hmmm, you want how much for wood panels for a fridge? And how much for the DW? Wow, uhh, I didn't think it would be that much, but, okay, I guess we can swing that. Thank you... yes, we'll be placing our order soon."

"Okay, here is a drawing of our non-built-in fridge with wooden panels. First of all, it looks kinda dumb -- it looks like you took a fridge and put wood on it; probably should get a true built-in. But they are like $7k. Second, what do I see? Between the cabs on the left, and the pantry on the right, I SEE A WALL OF WOOD. Birnam Wood has come to Dunsinane."

"How about white?"

"No, what about bisque fridge, bisque DW and black range?"

"Don't you remember, there is no bisque fridge in a CD french door?"

"Oh, right. I forgot."

"Wait, if we got a paneled fridge, could we cover it with something bisque?"

"That is genius!! We could get a sheet of, I don't know, some kind of metal and paint it bisque!"

"But why bisque?!?! We could cover it with anything!"

"How about stainless?"

"No, that is stupid."

(Together) "LET'S COVER IT IN COPPER! Yay!"

End of color selection.

• jterrilynn
    11 years ago

Angie, you are a hoot!

Has anyone come across two free standing counter depth top freezer refrigerators put side my side with maybe a 1 3/4 panel in between?
    I have seen other configurations but not like this. I was wondering what it would look like in real life. I only found one that did not have visible handles and where the doors could open from either side and came in bisque. These are standard height, 29 deep and with two you would get 56" across. I tried to frame it in to get an idea. One could have a lot of Frig for under a grand. Anyone have pictures of this configuration in a kitchen (even if not the same color)?

• jterrilynn
    11 years ago

That is meant to say a 1 3/4 INCH panel in between.

• alvmusick
    11 years ago

I love this post! Although I love my new SS appliances in my kitchen, NOTHING in my house or kitchen is white! I even printed out my kitchen plans on biscuit/ivory paper to be sure everyone was on the same page with wall, grout, etc. coloring (yes, my contractor laughed at me - often). A few years ago when we renovated our bathroom, we used Kohler biscuit for the sink, bathtub, and toilet and Dal Tile biscuit for the wall subway tile and biscuit/black mosaic floor. I never feel relaxed surrounded by white and am always happy with my biscuit/ivory choices (I was even married in an ivory dress) . Biscuit is much harder to find (VERY frustrating at times), but if you love it - go for it!

PS: I am not sure what size your kitchen will be, but SMEG has the cutest retro refrigerator in 'cream'. I was eying it while designing my small kitchen.

Here is a link that might be useful: SMEG in cream

• phoggie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Jterrilynn, I loved the pic of the kitchen you posted...now I am confused....cream or dark stained????? I like them both....that is my problem....I can not decide.... ALL help is appreciated...but I am going on a bisque search!

Angie, your post was a hoot! Stainless revolt!

• jterrilynn
    11 years ago

I like them both too phoggie and thats why I put both in my kitchen. I have butter cream wall cabs (pale yellow) and dark cherry base cabs. It's been two years and I love it more than ever. I really need to take some new pictures with husbands camera as mine makes everything green, even orangy colors have a green cast. I do have stainless in this kitchen but I'm already thinking of my next, we are going to downsize.

• phoggie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I am ticked off.....kinda... I just came home from the local appliance store (we are in a little town) and they told me that no one makes bisque anymore and if they had them, they were left-overs! Also, no one here works on GE, LG, or Samsung....so if I have a problem, I will have to get a repairman from 100 miles away. How do you say "monopoly"?

As I said....this kitchen is driving me nuts! Anyone want to plan this new kitchen for me???? I think I will get a toaster oven and a ice chest!...but then, what color toaster oven? LOL

• jterrilynn
    11 years ago

No one near works on GE? That sounds strange. I would contact GE, LG and Samsung to find out if this is true.

• jterrilynn
    11 years ago

Well you already saw a bisque frig that you liked. You can always get a dishwasher with a panel to match in bisque. That leaves the stove. Worst case scenario is that you would go stainless there. It would look kind of cool if all your other appliances were bisque and your range and hood were stainless. However, in my mind I'm thinking of how the Viking kitchen that I posted looked and really it would look best if you were to mix appliance finishes in a kitchen with like or similar cabinets. So, look at that kitchen and imagine that just the range and hood were stainless. I'm not ready to believe there are no repairmen around you. However, I often have repairman come from Miami and that is easily 100 miles or more. It's not uncommon for them to drive a bit.

• londongirl_2009
    11 years ago

Here is a picture from a distance of my bisque stove with antique white perimeter cabinets. Note the stainless OTR microwave. As I said before, I was told bisque was no longer being manufactured so I had to either go stainless or white. I don't mind the stainless honestly but my first choice would have been bisque. I do like it a lot

• jimandanne_mi
    11 years ago

We got bisque oven, MW, fridge, & DW. Induction cooktop is black with SS edging, SS hood, warming drawer is SS, and so are 2 sinks. But I don't care what anyone else thinks of what I choose. ;o)

Check with GE about their service area arrangements; they sent out their own serviceman when DH dropped the hammer on the cooktop and broke it when putting up the hood.

Anne

• jimandanne_mi
    11 years ago

We got bisque oven, MW, fridge, & DW. Induction cooktop is black with SS edging, SS hood, warming drawer is SS, and so are 2 sinks. But I don't care what anyone else thinks of what I choose. ;o)

Check with GE about their service area arrangements; they sent out their own serviceman when DH dropped the hammer on the cooktop and broke it when putting up the hood.

Anne

• phoggie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I checked on the net and found that Sears handles bisque appliances! They might not be the top line, but it is just me and I cook very little anymore...no fun eating alone since DH passed away. I am going to go check out the color and compare the with my "maybe" cabinet and counter top choices....but I am pretty well settled on hickory/gunstock stained flooring.

• cawaps
    11 years ago

What DO they work on? That's crazy talk.

The GE appliances webite shows lots and lots of biques appliances, including an OTR microwave.

• jterrilynn
    11 years ago

Phoggie, so sorry to hear of your husband! I hope you are coping ok.

• desertsteph
    11 years ago

phoggie - if you go with Sears check their outlet store.

yes, GE carries them. you probably do have to order them in tho. Most don't keep them in the stores.

I have seen them on Best Buy website.

• dibbs
    10 years ago

Just did a partial upgrade on kitchen. Kept my bisque appliances. Love them. Dislike stainless. Countertop is a cream quartz and sink is a bisque silgranite.
    Everything blends Together fine.
    I wish bisque would get popular again. There are not a lot of choices but they are out there.

• Vertise
    10 years ago

Love love love bisque and biscuit. It's soft, neutral, not stark appliance white (which works fine for clean and fresh in a very white kitchen). Do like those old white vintage ranges though. I like black and SS when I see them in kitchens but they smudge so much and are just not me. The SS and commercial ranges do look handsome in the right space but would just look like a truck parked in mine. I hope the companies start offering more selections than bws down the road. I'd love some beautiful enamel appliances.

If someone must have stainless when they buy your home, they can replace them. Right now, it's for your own pleasure. They need to do their own kitchen!

• diyher
    10 years ago

good to see this post :)
    I too have resisted stainless from day one. I even tried to resist stainless sinks, but the last 2 houses we had came with one.
    Just tonight I picked up a 6yo Whirlpool above the range microwave for $30 from a couple that is replacing all their appliances with SS.
    Trying to update my 20yo kitchen on a budget. Our 20yo fridge is bisque (might have to buy a new one), the DW we had to replace after the first 10 years the house was built, I replaced with bisque.
    My GE stove is bisque and black, hope to replace it, but the microwave was all black.
    Since I just painted my upper oak cabinets antique white, suddenly the black microwave stood out like a sore thumb.

@ dibbs, I'm going to to replace my SS sink once we get new countertops and I had done a lot of research and want to go with Blanco's silgranite either in bisque or truffle depending on the counter top we choose.

• lam702
    10 years ago

I have bisque and I love it. I think it goes well with my stained light maple cabinets, very warm looking. White would not go as well, I don't think. I also think bisque would look beautiful with a cream colored cabinet with a brown glaze, or other light stained woods. I know its not the popular choice today, but really, unless you are selling your house, get what you like, not what the current trend is. Trends come and go, what is current today may look dated in 5-10 yrs anyway.Besides, I just sold my mothers house, we did update the cabinets in a spice maple, but left the bisque appliances and it looked great, the buyers really liked it.

• diyher
    10 years ago

I never go with trends, which is why I was probably one of the few, if not only person who moved into our new community and chose bisque :)
    That dated word really bugs the heck out of me.
    Who thinks that every 5 years we can replace lights, sinks, faucets, floors, kitchen cabinets. My parents only bought a new refrigerator probably twice since they lived in their house 1953 until it was sold 2010. I remember the original one, that had the rounded corners, then later a larger one because we had 4 people in the family. Later after my Dad died and my Mom had to replace the refrigerator again, she didn't go with one as large, but still a decent size.

She still had the original gas stove, the kind that had 2 drawers on the left, a broiler drawer on the right, decent size oven, 4 burners on the left and a nice size section on the right that doubled as a counter when mixing etc during cooking.

I noticed you can't even find a French door refrigerator in bisque, they are all either black or stainless :-/ Our refrigerator is 20 yo, bought it when we settled on this house after it was built. I know most times that is the timeframe my parents would have to replace theirs, so I'm starting to keep my eye out for one in bisque.

Has anyone placed panels over their refrigerator to match the cabinets?
    I was thinking I could buy unfinished and have them made to size, and just spray paint them antique white, like I did my upper cabinets.

I still have to paint the inside of my cabinets, but this is why I want the bisque appliances :)

• vedazu
    10 years ago

I just bought a Verona stove in ivory, which has a slightly yellow cast. I bought a bisque LG fridge, and, across the room, had to go with a small stainless dishwasher. Couldn't find bisque. Looks fine. Sink is biscuit, and the cabinets are BM Mayonnaise. Works for me.

• mzdee
    10 years ago

I am one of the bisque fans. I just did a. facelift. My fridge is side by side and it works well. I bought a bisque convection range from the Frigidaire Gallery line, the best upgrade ever:-) my range hood is bisque. My cabinets are walnut finish and in great shape. I added oil bronze hardware. I painted my walls cameo white by Benjamin Moore. It has a pearl finish and has just a hint of yellow. Behind the range, I used a tin ceiling tile with copper and bronze finish as a medallion. I absolutely love it. It is warm and comfortable. If whoever buys or inherits this house wants SS or the next great thing, they can have at it. But for now, it is my family hub and we love it. So bisque appliance owners unite!
    PS I had no issue finding bisque appliances. Stores don't stock them but the big box stores can have them in in a couple of days.

• sunnlover
    9 years ago

I am sick and tired of stainless. There is nothing high end looking about spotty stained appliances. I get that not all of them look that way, but some kitchens look absolutely horrible!!! The only reason it is so in vogue is because the manufacturers want it to be. They have decided that this is what you will like. Think about this. Why aren't there any ads in the magazines for white or black appliances? Or cream colored appliances? They could totally bring back cream and white. It's all about what people see in magazines and tv that will sell. If they give people too many choices, the manufacturers are left with too much inventory that will never sell. Remember the manufacturers just like the fashion industry will tell you what is in style this year, not the other way around. So I say go with what YOU like and what makes you happy.

• desertsteph
    9 years ago

I agree. And I have bisque appliances! I love them. If I didn't have them, it'd probably be white ones. I don't really like white tho. I don't wear white and haven't had white shoes since 8th gr graduation! I don't have white walls either. never have.

OTOH, I do have white counter tops. They were here and I haven't changed them yet. It IS very easy to see ants on a white counter top - so, they might just stay - lol! I dislike ants more than I dislike white...

• lam702
    9 years ago

I have bisque now and I like them. They just look better with my warm wood cabinets than a stark white would. Since all our appliances were working fine, we decided not to replace them until they die. But if I can get bisque when that happens I would. I like the look of stainless, but don't want to deal with the spotting. Its bad enough with my SS sink! Its a shame that appliances have so few color options. I've never really loved white appliances, and I don't think black would look right with my light maple cabinets, although iI do like it with a darker stained wood. If I can't get bisque, I guess I would get SS but I'd rather stay with the bisque, dated though it may be.

• greenzebra7
    9 years ago

Hello, my people!!

This thread is perfect, as I was in the blue box store today buying paint and checked out their appliances, as I need a gas range, dishwasher, and microwave--and, after becoming enamored with the bisque selections, found at least 1 of each item in the affordable range in said hue. So perhaps Bisque is back!

CEFreeman, where/how would one go about getting appliance electroplated? I dunno if I could afford it, but what a wonderful possibility...

• arlenefromhett31
    8 years ago

oh my ....don't all of these comments ring true?! We built our home in 2007. There was almost an audible gasp from sales when I said I wanted bisque. "Gee. NO one orders that color anymore! Everyone is going with stainless steel." I explained that, like all pan flashes, that was going to be short-lived--of course owners will have to wait till the appliances break down before the fad can actually prove it wasn't what it was cut out to be. I LOVE my bisque. My birch cabinets are stained cherry and the bisque contrasts beautifully. (and no daily fingerprints that ss and black are notorious for!) Problem: I want a high end dishwasher--my current one isn't going to last until old age. I don't see Bosch has it in that color. (now what!)

• Karenseb
    8 years ago

I had a black dishwasher and stove with a bisque refrigerator ( on purpose) and I liked it.

• galfromnd
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I will keep that in mind. I'd

bet it is beautiful. Black would have been my second choice. thanks (arlenefromhett31)

• Travis Perkinson
    8 years ago

We have refrigerator dish washer in bisque. Micro Wave. Jennair cook top white looking for bisque. Just bought new refrigerator in bisque.

• galfromnd
    8 years ago

Thanks Travis. All of my appliances are bisque. My dishwasher is starting to give me issues, so I am looking for a Bosch in bisque. Hopefully I can find one!

• sequigle
    8 years ago

I too love the creams in the kitchen. I love vintage and stark whites, blacks and stainless just don't work. My stove is a reproduction woodstove (electric) in almond though it appears creamier than that. As we are building I was thinking of getting buttercream cupboards...any thoughts?

• lam702
    8 years ago

I haven't seen a Bosch dishwasher in bisque, my guess is they don't make one. I will need a new refrigerator soon and can't make up my mind what color to get. I could probably get a bisque one, but then, if my dishwasher dies which it probably will in the near future, if I can't get a bisque DW I'd be out of luck. So I am probably going to go with SS although I don't really want to.

• PRO
    Joe Henderson
    8 years ago

Bosch no longer offers bisque appliances. They have a limited selection of white or black. Everything else is stainless

• omelet
    8 years ago

I was interested in bisque appliances for our lake house, which I thought would go perfectly with the birch cabinets. I also got the horrified responses from appliance professionals, which was sad - I wish salespeople were more open to customers who want something other than whatever is trendy. Because our dishwasher will be Bosch we will be going with white appliances (there is another current thread about how hard it is to keep stainless clean). I'm happy to see so many standing up for bisque. If it is still available when/if we remodel our current natural maple kitchen, we will go for it!

• User
    8 years ago

The manufacturers make what people demand. Bisque is not in demand. It ain't the sales people. It's consumers. Their taste has changed radically and appliances all have to look ''Pro'' nowadays, even if they aren't anywhere close to being pro.

• omelet
    8 years ago

Hi Sophie, I respect your opinion, but the salesperson is fully responsible for their response, they do not have to make the customer who asks about bisque feel stupid and moronic, they can simply provide options - for example, if you want bisque, it is available in other manufacturers but not Bosch, or it may take longer to get, whatever.

• PRO
    Joe Henderson
    8 years ago

My gut tells me the "horrified" part of their response was more because they probably had virtually nothing to offer you! The manufacturers are the ones who have decided to abandon the color. I'm sure he/she could have done a better job explaining that, but there are so few bisque options today that its difficult to even sell the color!

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

sequigle, I think bisque appliances and buttercream cabinets are perfect for a vintage-style kitchen. I've had a version of bisque or almond in every kitchen for the last 37 years. Some of my cabinets are now Adobe White--an off-white with cream tones.

Stark white cabinets can be beautiful, but I couldn't have them in my kitchen.

(Waving to phoggie, if you get this update. :)

• lam702
    8 years ago

Bisque looks great with a buttercream or natural/light stain maple cabinest. Warmer than white appliances, easier to keep clean/spot free than stainless. What bisque doesn't go well with are white cabinets. And, seems just about everyone is putting in white cabinets. So it is no surprise that bisque isn't a popular color. Even white appliances don't always look good with white cabinets, the differences in the cabinet and appliance paint doesn't always blend harmoniously. Stainless works with all cabinet colors. Its a safe neutral, the only downside to me is the spotting. And, I admit I don't like the gray painted sides on the refrigerators either, that looks cheap to me. A stainless fridge should have stainless sides IMO. Unless your cabinetry boxes in the sides (mine doesn't) it just looks cheap to me. I'm sure the higher end refrigerators have SS sides, but they are not always in the budget for many of us.

• Lisa Lange
    6 years ago

I am just waiting for the Bisque revolution! I have a Kenmore counter depth side by side that is 24 years old, I believe the color back then was Almond. Twelve years ago we replaced stove and dishwasher with Kenmore bisque appliances for a very close match. I just shattered my flat cook top when a glass spice jar fell from an upper cabinet so am down to 3 burners and shopping for new appliances. I know the clock is ticking on my 24 year old refrigerator so I'm just hoping Bisque comes back before it dies!

• diyher
    6 years ago

lol, well since I posted above Jan 2014, I now have all new SS appliances except for the above the range microwave that I stuck with bisque that is the exact color of the antique white upper cabinets. My lower cabinets are all Cherry wood stained in Walnut, so my dishwasher has a front panel I stained the same Walnut color

• mzdee
    6 years ago

I have bisque appliances and on purpose, if you can believe that. I recently upgraded my range to a Frigidaire Gallery convection oven, and I do indeed love it. It seems only Whirlpool and Frigidaire had the color, if memory serves. I just have a rebellious nature I think. While SS is pretty, it just doesn't ring my bell. Plus, it is really really hard to get rid of working appliances simply because of the color. I remember all the rage before the real estate bubble burst. Scores of folks ditching newer appliances for the new norm - SS appliances, cherry cabs, and uba tuba granite. I love the warmth of the tones of the bisque in my kitchen. I have a walnut cabinets, majestic red granite , and honey cream on the walls. The bisque is right at home. Alas if I wait long enough, I may be forced to do something more current, but until then, I'm loving it.

• artemis_ma
    6 years ago

I love bisque. It's warm and it isn't SS. I went with black in my new build - it worked better with my other kitchen choices - but my range and fridge in my old home are bisque. (The DW is white). Trends are just that.

• Cheverly
    5 years ago

I know I'm waaay behind the times on this thread, but DH and I are renovating a home built in 1920. We're sanding off the hideous orange finish on the original pine cabinets and I'm going to use a natural, matte finish. I'm INTENTIONALLY buying bisque appliances, as I think they'll look best with the light colored wood. I've been back and forth and have driven the hubby crazy, but I'm telling you there's something about this house that's resistant... it DOES NOT want SS!

• THOR, Son of ODIN
    5 years ago

Have fun with it.

• Sharon Perkins
    5 years ago

They're hard to find if you want something a little(not even a lot) upscale. We bought a fridge last year with French doors and ice and water on the door and it was a nightmare to actually find one. Finally found one at Sears.

Then we moved. And sadly, left the fridge behind. I should have put a cheap one in and taken it. I miss it terribly! I'd gladly trade the stainless steel one we have now for it.

• diyher
    5 years ago

i did that when we moved 1995, took the expensive solid brass and pewter light fixtures, fridge and replaced with cheaper and the people that bought thought I had upgraded the lights and they loved the cheap ones lol. I still have those fixtures because they were classic and well made. Finally got rid of the fridge in 2014