Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rookie_2010

Please help me accessorize my finished kitchen! PICS

rookie_2010
13 years ago

Hi Everyone,

For all intents and purposes, my kitchen is finished. We haven't moved in yet and I'm already obsessing over accessories, the color of the accessories, etc. I feel like something belongs on the hood mantle but I can't picture anything. Any suggestions will be appreciated!

The whole room is a blank slate. I have no idea what accent colors to use either. I'd like to warm it up though, so I plan on putting out my butcher block cutting board and a few baskets. Other than that, I'm clueless...... please help, I need a little direction...

Thanks in advance!

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

So you all can see the wall color, I closed the blinds because it gets really sunny and I'm trying to be stingy with the AC since we're not moved in yet :)

{{!gwi}}

This one is an earlier progress pic but there's an empty shelf over the pass through too...... I'm not head over heels with the stone my DH picked for the fireplace but it's the only thing he insisted on....

{{!gwi}}

Thanks in advance for any ideas!

Comments (34)

• baileyandbella
    13 years ago

Beautiful kitchen!

A few ideas...

Plants
    Decorative Plates
    Canisters
    Cookie Jar
    Small lamp
    Cookbooks
    Baskets...wicker or iron
    Candlesticks
    Family pictures

• dianalo
    13 years ago

How about a pretty kitchen clock and something to hold utensils?

• adh673
    13 years ago

It's really beautiful, you must be thrilled.

Is that a delta faucet? I also really like your stained door- interesting design feature, is it to pull togheter the mantel? I like your lanterns, where are they from?

Anyway, as for "decor", I am not to that stage yet (actually I have yet to demo) so I havent gotten to thinking about it but I would say a artful bowl of fruit or lemon tree depending on climante can bring very authentic and appropriate color in. I am also partial to small rustic rosemary or cyprus bushes, which would draw in your green. A vintage sign or collection of exotic oils might look nice.

I'm not a huge fan of decorative clutter becuase I tend to accumulate enough non decorative clutter as is, but you also have an intersting space above your sink for a collection of some sort- millk glass? various organic pieces that pull in the warmth of your stone fireplace?

Try walking about Tj Maxx or Homegoods and see if any objects strike you as fun or interesting.

But again, lovely job.

• adh673
    13 years ago

Sorry forgot the obvious- fabric window treatments - those alone give you huge opportunities for setting a secondary color scheme and warmth.

• rookie_2010
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Baileyandbella and Dianalo, thanks so much! I had ZERO space for decoration in my old kitchen so I only have one utensil holder, one basket and a few beat up cookbooks my mom gave me. I do have some decorative plates my MIL gave me that could work.....plate hangers are going on the list now. I like the idea of plants a lot and fabric window treatments.

I went through Homegoods a few weeks ago and saw a lot of things I liked but they were all white. So, I left empty handed and figured I'd wait until it was done. I think I need to go back there again with these suggestions in mind.

Adh673, thanks for the kind words! I LOVE milk glass, great suggestion and I can look for it on eBay! The faucet in the island is a Pegasus from Home Depot. The one I originally ordered was delivered damaged so I sent it back and ran out and grabbed that one and I like it better, for under $100 too! The stained door is just to match all the other doors in the house and an attempt to warm things up in there. The cabinets are a slight off-white but with PINK undertones so I had to lose the idea of a white subway backsplash and kill the budget with marble. Also, the paint color had to change to correct it. So, I actually ended up with a way more formal room than I had intended, but I had already ordered the door. I love it but I need to make it feel cozier. The main faucet is a Price Pfister from the Ashfield collection. The lanterns are the arch top mini-lanterns from Circa Lighting.

• megfitz
    13 years ago

What a beautiful kitchen!
    I see you have at least one window in the kitchen. Maybe find some nice window treatments that tie into the wall color and use that as a jumping off point.
    I second the Home Goods suggestion, too.
    I bet once you find your color palette, you'll find more things. Plus they always get new stock in every day.
    I agree about avoiding too much clutter. I bet once you move in your everyday kitchen items will take up enough room on the counters. Add some useful items like canisters, napkin holder, etc
    Godd luck!

• baileyandbella
    13 years ago

>>>> saw a lot of things I liked but they were all white

Spray paint is my best friend. :)

If I really love something (the shape, etc) and it's paintable, I buy it (if it's a good deal) and make it the way I like it.

• vampiressrn
    13 years ago

Your kitchen is gorgeous....wonderful blend of materials. Take your time with the decor, sometimes you have to settle in and let the room talk to you. Great suggestions so far. Maybe also decide on what linens/pot holders, etc. you like. Home Goods is great for ideas and colors, so is Pier 1. I like the idea of plants as it looks like you have some green accents in the backsplash and your beautiful walls.

• sfmomoxo
    13 years ago

Your kitchen is absolutely fabulous. I love it! On one of the discussions I saw the most incredible paper towel holder. It was by Michael Aram, his Botanical Leaf Paper Towel Holder. Check it out. I was planning on getting it for my kitchen, but I think it will look even better in yours!

• marcydc
    13 years ago

On that beautiful mantel I'd put a piece of framed art. Or maybe 2 smaller pieces.

• flwrs_n_co
    13 years ago

Wow! Great kitchen! I agree with previous posters that deciding on a window treatment would be a great place to start deciding on colors to be added. Maybe get moved in and live in your wonderful new space for a little while and see if any particular colors in your dishes/kitchen stuff stand out to you.
    Or, GO SHOPPING!! (My favorite choice :)) Whatever you decide to do, you have a great space to decorate and I envy you the task of decorating it!! You obviously have great taste so I'm sure whatever you decide will look superb (and we look forward to seeing lots of pics)!!!

• francoise47
    13 years ago

Beautiful, gorgeous -- congratulations on your almost done, amazing kitchen. If you haven't posted details and the floorplan before, I'm sure everyone would enjoy seeing them. Yours will quickly become one of the GW inspiration kitchens.

You've received great suggestions above for bringing in accessories and color. I'm not a clutter/decorations person. I agree that fabric, if even for simple roman shades or a valance will be your best friend. I'm sure you've looked at the other beautiful white kitchens on GW (like Shanghaimom's, jsweenc's, katieob's, firsthouse, et. al.) -- they all have great inspirations.

My favorite useful "accessory": the espresso machine!

• cat_mom
    13 years ago

I just commented on your beautiful bathrooms over on the bathroom forum and had to pop in here to tell you how nice your kitchen is! Once you start adding your day to day small appliances, kitcehn tools, stuff like that, you'll get a better feel for how much space you want to fill with purely decorative items. Hoe goods does get in new stuff all the time, so you might find something(s) that works on another visit. Also, Pottery Barn and RH always come out with new things. Crate and Barrel as well.

On one of the discussions I saw the most incredible paper towel holder. It was by Michael Aram, his Botanical Leaf Paper Towel Holder. That was probably my thread re: my MA paper towel holder! :-) My mom liked it so much, I am getting one for her for her birthday present!

• kimkitchy
    13 years ago

Rookie, I don't usually comment on decorating because I'm certainly not the deco-diva... but I did have a thought. I noticed your rather colonial inspired light fixtures (love those!) and the warm gold tones in your fireplace stone. You said you wanted to choose accents that might warm up the kitchen a bit. How about some amber toned accessories? I could see hurricane candles with amber bubble glass, with the baskets you intend and perhaps a clock with an antiqued parchment face. Maybe an amber glass bowl with fruit. The amber might pick up the warm tones of the fireplace and complement your wall color.

Your kitchen is gorgeous! I'm sure you'll make beautiful choices on your accents!

• formerlyflorantha
    13 years ago

What a great blank slate for an artist...you! And you can so easily change it at will. If that's chocolate brown in the adjacent room, you've got one direction right there. Restrained good taste with old bookbindings, muted paisley fabrics, Chesterfield sofa with brass tacks,

Mustard yellow would also be good with that wood. Yellowware crockery and mustard plaid teatowels. And a pewter container with dried yarrow and white and green hydrangeas.

But I personally recommend red. Lots of red. Maroons, red-browns, cherry reds, everything but fire engine red. Rugs, red trim on white linen at windows, spill some tomato sauce, wear a red apron, buy a red cookbook, put red bibs on kids. Geraniums at the window. Bowls of red onions next to the cutting board. Spill some blood on the paring knife. Imari creamware above the pass-through or ruby glass or my hubby's aunt's old Haviland or fabric covered file boxes holding cooking mags.

I can just imagine Christmas in this space--have fun stormin' the castle!

• rookie_2010
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wow, I knew I'd get some great ideas here! Thank you so much. I guess I better find the right window fabric first...
    I remember that beautiful paper towel holder! That thread was my introduction to Micheal Aram.
    I think a parchment faced clock is a great idea. I'm going to keep my eyes open for one.
    And then there is finding the right shade of red...
    Thanks Florantha!
    I have lots to do, I hope some of you are still around to show the result to next year when I get it together :)
    Thanks again for all your ideas!!

• chicagoans
    13 years ago

Wow it's so gorgeous! With those pretty blue green walls I'd try a yellow. Start simple with a pot or two of yellow mums and maybe a couple dish towels to see what you think of the color.

• tinker_2006
    13 years ago

rookie, I have already been drooling over your kitchen in the building forum... and I can't start to think how to help with with accessories yet... BUT, I need another favor! I see you have a pass-through from your kitchen to great room, can you please post on the building forum a picture from the great room into the kitchen? When do you move in..? You have done a beautiful job! I'll look for them on the building forum!

• rookie_2010
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Chicagoans,
    Mums are a GREAT idea and we'll be moving in right on time for them too!

Tinker, thanks! I'll gladly post some pics, if I don't have any new-ish ones, I'll take some. I have two bookshelves for either side of the pass through on the great room side but they're not finished yet. I'll follow up over on The Building Forum........

• kitchenaddict
    13 years ago

Hi rookie..

Everyone gave you good ideas..I just want to say your kitchen is beautiful....Sooo Pretty!

KA:)

• shelayne
    13 years ago

Oh Rookie, your kitchen is absolutely spectacular--even without your accessories! I absolutely LOVE it! That backsplash, those lanterns... just YUMMMMM!

I also go with those who say- GO SHOPPING! Home Goods has to be my favorite store for ideas. Have fun!

• rookie_2010
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Kitchenaddict! And thanks to all of you who weighed in, this is so helpful! And fun too.

• emily_mb
    13 years ago

Beautiful. Your kitchen DOES NOT need accessorizing beyond a vase of flowers, a bowl of fresh fruits, and whatever objects you will use. I'm in the "LESS is MORE" camp.

• rookie_2010
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Shelayne, thank you! After seeing your beautiful backsplash, a peek of the hardware and your wall color, I can't wait to see more of your kitchen!
    Thanks Emily, I'm thinking you're right, I'll start out with less, not that I have much choice, no time to shop lately anyway, and I'll add slowly and carefully...or I'll take a day off from work and go crazy over at Home Goods, lol.

• lala girl
    13 years ago

I love your kitchen - It is gorgeous! Everyone has great ideas so I do not have much to add, except to use ebay to find some neat vintage items - they will complement your spectacular details and give your kitchen some additional texture. Maybe a collection of vintage enamelware pitchers? The other piece I just bought and LOVE (it ended up on the coffee table and not in the kitchen) is an Italian woven bowl from Neo I found at GretelHome.com. Enjoy the process - your kitchen will be so amazing to settle in to.

http://www.gretelhome.com/neo/314-large-crocheted-rubber-bowl-in-black.html

• rookie_2010
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Laurainlincoln!
    Great suggestions, I just checked out Gretel Home. They have some really interesting things, those woven bowls are fantastic. I actually have a couple of enamelware pitchers, they are of the few items I'm reusing from my old kitchen. Thanks for weighing in!

• juliekcmo
    13 years ago

I have a suggestion...do you have a "antique mall" in your area. Here we have one and it's not really antiques (read expensive). For the most part it is booths that people who have a hobby of going to estate sales and like certain things will rent boot space there. So there are all sorts of things, and it is a great way to pick up home items that don't look like you just ran out and bought everything at once. There are items at every price point.

When we finished our kitchen, I bought some decorative plates, painted trays to hang on the wall, hand painted china bowl for a soap dish, framed pictures for the bathroom, and a few other items. They are all unique, and less costly than items at mass retailers.

• red_eared_slider86
    13 years ago

How beautiful your new kitchen is! I've seen lots of great advice here. Here is a link to a design site that helped me to nail down exactly what my style is, and to decide how to accessorize accordingly:
    http://interiordesign.lovetoknow.com/Category:Interior_Design_Styleshow.

I hope that helps. And I envy your problem! You're going to have fun!

• rookie_2010
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Juliekcmo,
    We have a great flea market where I live and it's exactly what you're describing, I just hadn't been thinking about it since I stopped buying for my old house a couple of years ago in anticipation of getting a new one. I have the coolest collection of vintage tins and costume jewelry from the fleamarket. It's more fun to shop that way. BTW, I love the painted china bowl for a soap dish idea!

Thank you Red_eared_slider! That's a helpful resource, thanks for sharing. It is getting to be fun again now, thought I'd never see the day!

• monkeymo
    13 years ago

I've got nothing but studs right now (the wooden kind, not the manly kind), so I might as well decorate your kitchen!

This is just the first thing that came to my head. I think your mantel would be a great place to pick up the iron hanging lights. Plates allow you to bring in all types of color. Oh, and the R is for rookie!

{{!gwi}}

• rookie_2010
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Monkeymo, that's awesome!!!!!!!!!
    I LOVE the R but I think I'll go for an N for Novice when this is finished :)
    Thank you for taking the time to do this, it's so cool to see some things with color in there. Is this Photoshop? I'm positive that I'll be doing something to pick up the black pendants now, thanks so much!

• monkeymo
    13 years ago

You're welcome! Your kitchen is really nice and you are going to have so much fun decorating - oh and cooking too!

Yes, I used photoshop - love being able to try things out first. Don't forget to post your photos once you make your gorgeous kitchen even gorgeouser ! :-)

• daisychain01
    13 years ago

Oh, I remember a sneak peek at your kitchen a while ago and wanting more - what a dream.

I would bring some of those lovely wood tones from the door into the room. What about bamboo romans in the same colour as the door and a chunky endgrain cutting board in the same colour sitting on that luscious marble island.

If you go to ebay you can buy antique wood recipe boxes for a song. I think one of those would look great tucked in a corner.

If you do plates over the mantel, I'd do something dramatic - large and all one colour maybe.

Is that calacutta marble? It's my favourite.

• sparklekitty
    13 years ago

Rookie - You know I love your kitchen. I agree with Emily - let it happen naturally. I was surprised with my kitchen that little things like dish towels and bowls I already owned are giving me direction for accent colors. I have this great bright/slightly olive green pottery bowl with a bunch of red and yellow tomatoes in it that looks amazing with my gray/white/stainless/natural wood kitchen. I also have some nice darker blue/not quite navy towels that also look great and a vase of sunflowers were "wow". I didn't imagine these were colors that would look good but with such a neutral backdrop vibrant things just pop - real life things not props - in the kitchen.

If you really want to find some "colors" - just buy a bunch of dish towels and drape then on your stove for a few days to see how it does.