Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
janefan_gw

Marble's Coming--Sealant Question

janefan
15 years ago

Please don't kill me, I did do a search! It appears that the Miracle 511 Impregnator comes highly recommended from all the GWers "in the know." I just visited the Miracle site, however, and the list of applications for this product includes polished marble, but not honed.

Is it safe to use on honed marble? Is it still a top product for honed marble, or perhaps just polished?

Thanks in advance...

Comments (11)

• momto4kids
    15 years ago

I used a marble restoration expert to seal my honed Calacatta Oro. Porous Plus 511 is what he suggested. He specifically said not to use the impregnator. He went on to give me a very detailed explanation as to the differences in properties between stone somewhat saturated with Porous Plus and stone somewhat saturated with impregnator. At the time, I fully understood and didn't feel it was salesman's hype. He had both right there and would have done whichever I wanted. He was well aware fabricators push impregnators. He was a restoration expert, however, and I took his advice on the Porous Plus.

I've been very satisfied. Nearly 4 years. NO STAINING ANYWHERE in this high-volume, heavily traveled kitchen with one neat nik-type (Mom) and 5 "Mom will clean it up"-types. The color is still great. The marble still repels water at the drop. A few scattered etchmarks from errant lemon squirts. No one sees them but me.

I wouldn't make a different decision given the opportunity.

• kitchendetective
    15 years ago

a very detailed explanation as to the differences in properties between stone somewhat saturated with Porous Plus and stone somewhat saturated with impregnator

Would you elaborate? I'm very curious.

• vic.s
    15 years ago

Janefan,

Check the link attached, there you will see that the suggested sealant for honed marble it is Porous plus (page 4). Personally I have had great results on honed material with porous plus applied to them. It is more expensive but worth the cost.

Kitchen detective,
    maybe you should start another thread so this could be explained in a good discussion. I know I would like to input some info on that. Just a thought.

Vic

Here is a link that might be useful: Miracle Sealants

• janefan
    Original Author
    15 years ago

momto4kids and vic, thank you both very much!

• janefan
    Original Author
    15 years ago

momto4kids, how many times did you apply the Porous Plus?

vic s, any recommendation on the frequency of application? Is once all it takes?

• oofasis
    15 years ago

When my honed Cararra counters were installed last year I used PP, based on the advice and experience given on this forum. Bill Vincent, one of our well-respected resident experts, feels you get equal results with Impregnator at a lower cost.

I did not seal very well on my first application. I was very nervous and, rather than to err on the over-does-it side, I didn't apply enough sealant. I did it again a couple of weeks later, then once more about three months later and haven't repeated sealing since. I'm very pleased with the PP results. My marble beads on contact with water, repels every stain that's tried to spoil it (for instance, a fresh-brewed pot of hot coffee, half a bottle of red wine), and gives me real-time joy when we're in the same room :)

• janefan
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Okay, so I tend to over-analyze on occasion, but...the marble is in (well, most of it anyway) and they're coming back on Tuesday to finish up and seal it. Should I go ahead and have them seal it with whatever they use and then follow up again a few days later with the Porous Plus? If they don't use Porous Plus first, but I use it later, is that a problem? Should I buy the Porous Plus and have it here for them to use on Tuesday?

• rmkitchen
    15 years ago

Omigod -- I am so excited, janefan! Pictures pictures pictures, please!

I had the Miracle 511 Porous Plus here for the fabricators but when it came time for them to apply the sealer someone needed his diaper changed ... plus the fabricators are, uh, from a different school than I (of the "don't mind the little lady" school). Ahem. (I'm of the "I have the checkbook" school!)

So they used their own sealer and then I resealed the hell out of that countertop with the Porous Plus over the next few days. I think I fried every brain cell I had (not that I had many to begin with!).

I've seen no etching and v. little staining (only in our runnels is there some slight discoloration and yes, I did apply the sealer in there), and just last night I dropped some tomato sauce on the countertop and didn't wipe it for a few minutes. You'd never know it'd been there!

The one mishap I had was when a little piece of rusted steel wool was on the bottom of a sponge (and I didn't realize it was there) and I wiped the countertop. It sucked up the rust and I ran to the computer to look up poultice recipes here on GW. Naturally, this was a Sunday evening. I found a recommendation for Rust Out and my husband offered to run over to Lowe's to purchase some; within thirty minutes from the time the stain occurred I had it out. Just a thought to have a poultice recipe (and the ingredients) on hand or a tub of Rust Out (it gets out more than rust) so if there's an accident you can attack it tout de suite. You'll also have to reseal reseal reseal after you apply a poultice (inc. Rust Out).

I'll be checking back here obsessively, looking for your pictures! I feel really connected to you, you know!

• janefan
    Original Author
    15 years ago

rmkitchen!! Thank you, once again you've responded to my psychotic anxiety and answered what at this moment is a very important question for me!!

I'm very nervous that I'm going to disappoint you, however, regarding the marble--and the butcherblock. I think you may remember me asking about arabescato for the marble...the fabricator was extremely uncomfortable working with it (too thin, it was 2 cm, and brittle) and was going to have me sign a waiver if I stuck with it!! So, I went with a "basic" carrara. While I adore your marble and also loved the arabescato, I'm pleased with my choice...it has a more comomplace feel that I think suits my kitchen well.

Now, for the butherblock. Oh, my beloved wenge. DH and GC were dead-set against it. Clearly they simply couldn't see the beauty of a naturally-developing patina. And frankly, I pictured my oh-so-very-long island as a workhorse for prep and homework, and in the end felt that granite would serve us better for the long haul (we're hoping to be in this house for the duration). I found a very calm, warm, brown granite called cabernet and I'm happy with it.

(An aside, DH got home before me today and when I called to get his response to the counters, he said, "I was expecting more of a 'wow' factor." It was all I could do to stop from screaming!!)

Overall, I have the general look I wanted, but with some tweaks/compromises that weren't too painful.

Both stones were installed today...I'm debating whether to post pix now or to wait until the whole thing is done.

• rmkitchen
    15 years ago

How could you disappoint me? You got the right materials for you and your kitchen, and that can only ever be the right choice! And honestly, having to sign a waiver would've scared me off, too. I mean, it would be one thing if it were a trophy kitchen, never ever to be used. But how unrealistic is that?!?

You know, I kinda had the same reaction as your husband when our marble went it. I think I'd built it up so much in my mind that of course nothing could compare. But now that it's all together (meaning the kitchen is done) I'm able to realize how stunning the marble is (for me and our kitchen).

I also want to applaud you for your granite -- it sounds lovely! Something you, your husband, your children and all of your friends won't have to baby / worry about is really the smart way to go. A kitchen is to be used and enjoyed, and if (any of) you were stressed about it that would be horrible. If it were me, I would also really resent it, like "grr, now I've got this particular material I have to police all the time instead of just enjoying life!"

Well, I'm still interested in pictures but I understand if you choose to wait ... but I'll still be checking back just in case you change your mind!

• ella_socal
    15 years ago

Is there a big difference between the 511 Impregnator and the 511 Porous Plus? I didn't realize they were 2 separate products and picked up the Impregnator at HD; unfortunately, the Porous Plus is only carried at nicer tile stores around here and the closest is 15 miles away. Do I need the Porous Plus for my polished crema marfil bathroom countertops, floor and shower? I already have small lotion stain!