Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nap101

Where to you hang your dish towels?

nap101
11 years ago

Such a common detail that I honestly thought there would be a long thread on this somewhere but it didn't come up in my searches.

I used to hang it on the fridge door which was close to the sink, until I got a bottom freezer fridge and now they end up everywhere. But since I'm remodeling no need to worry about the current situation.

So the new kitchen has a new layout. My only thought is if I have a longer handle on the paneled dishwasher but not sure if I can find a long one to match the other handles.

For me it has to be quick and easy and near the sink.

So just curious what other people do.

Comments (42)

• nap101
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sorry, I meant where DO you hang your dish towels.

• labbie
    11 years ago

We use the handle of our dishwasher (right next to sink).

• marcolo
    11 years ago

There have been like ten thousand threads on this.

• suzanne_sl
    11 years ago

I don't know about 10,000, but there have been quite a few threads on this, and from each one I learn something new. GW people are so clever! Sadly, I still hang mine from whatever handle is available, DW, oven, fridge, wherever. Do check out some of the amazing solutions more tidy people than me have found.

• marcolo
    11 years ago

It's much easier to find old threads using Google rather than the forum search box.

• nap101
    Original Author
    11 years ago

My apologies. I did think there had to be threads on this but I searched this forum trying a few different key words and only came up with paper towel threads. I will know to use google next time.

• mpagmom (SW Ohio)
    11 years ago

Honestly, Marcolo, there are only 681.

I hang mine on an 8" drawer pull mounted on a false door. I love it when my kids try to open it..

• function_first
    11 years ago

I bought an appliance pull which was just an 18" version of my drawer pulls. I then mounted it to the side of a drawer unit on the backside of the island. Appliance pulls are a lot more expensive than standard pulls but it got the job done and looks good too.

• abbycat9990
    11 years ago

I hang it on the range handle sometimes, but mostly on the drawer pull in the island opposite the sink (same position as mpagmom above), which keeps it hidden in the work area, and invisible to anyone walking by the kitchen.

• Gracie
    11 years ago

Mine is on the oven handle, but the stainless is splattered with water drips from drying my hands. My plan was to hang it on the trash pullout, but my cabinet maker advised me not to because of water damage to the lacquer. I considered a DW handle, but I'd have the same problem of water marks on the SS. I mostly use it as a hand towel and not a dish towel, so I should just keep one on the counter when I cook and then throw it in the wash.

• schoolhouse_gw
    11 years ago

Oh goody, I get to post my ultra fancy dish towel hanger again!

{{!gwi}}

• marcolo
    11 years ago

Very cute, schoolhouse.

nap101, the only person who needs to apologize is the person who coded the search function on GW.

• ginny20
    11 years ago

Love that towel rack, schoolhouse.

Yeah, that search function is strange. I couldn't even find my own old threads until I went on Google.

My towels are on the inside of the door under the sink on a double bar rack I bought on Amazon. We screwed a piece of wood across the door and screwed the rack into the wood so the screws from the rack wouldn't pierce the door panel. In my previous 1961 kitchen, I had one of those slide-out three bar types. I also considered swing-out type. This works well, and the towels dry fairly quickly under there.

• jakabedy
    11 years ago

Are you supposed to hang them? Mine are usually folded -- occasionaly just crumpled up, though -- and lying on the counter somewhere near the sink.

• ginny20
    11 years ago

Point well taken, jakabedy. Mine had the same assigned spot as yours in the old kitchen. I just don't like extra stuff distracting from my view of my pretty counters, so I've become good about putting the towels away. There's nothing like new counters to make a less-than-fastidious housekeeper into an acolyte of Heloise :-)

• Mom23Es
    11 years ago

We go through so many towels a day. I dry bottles and dishes with them, then immediately wipe down the counters and table, and then the floor if needed. Most towels are immediately dirty from wiping up spills and cleaning peanut butter hands/faces. If it's only a little damp, then it just sits on the counter to dry. My kids have a fascination with pulling hanging towels off of any handle in the kitchen. In our new kitchen I will have more counter space by the sink, so I'm hoping to find my own version of the towel pig holder. I'm not so into pigs. Maybe a rooster instead?

In the new kitchen, I selected a special narrow drawer cabinet next to the main sink to store fresh folded towels. That was a very important but almost forgotten storage need.

• desertsteph
    11 years ago

"We screwed a piece of wood across the door and screwed the rack into the wood so the screws from the rack wouldn't pierce the door panel"

that's good thinking! I hope I can remember it...

• numbersjunkie
    11 years ago

I'm with jakabedy - mine are just laying around somewhere, or spread on the counter with dishes drying on them. I do have a long pull on my DW but it is paneled and i would be afraid of the wet cloth lying against the wood.

• onedogedie
    11 years ago

Schoolhouse - how dare you post an ultra fancy dish towel holder and not tell where a person can get one like it.

• eelpout1
    11 years ago

we were talking this over yesterday with our KD. I had seen some fancy pull-outs that looked like mini pantry drawers, but with towel racks instead.

{{!gwi}}

We weren't sure there would be enough air-flow in there though when it was closed to dry out the towels.

Unless the bars were heated of course. ;)

• eelpout1
    11 years ago

Ooops for some reason the image wouldn't show. let's try again.

{{!gwi}}

• rocketmomkd
    11 years ago

I need ideas for this too! I tried my range handle, but it's a double oven range and I have to move the towel to get into the bottom oven. I tried the dishwasher handle, but when I open the dishwasher, the towel sits on the floor, which dd thinks is gross. So now, it's either sitting on the counter or on the bottom freezer handle. That's not ideal either though since that's across the kitchen from the sink. I'll be searching through those older threads...

• ginny20
    11 years ago

Who is it who has an open niche next to the sink with the holder for the towels inside? It's very cute.

• schoolhouse_gw
    11 years ago

onedogedie, try an antique store. I've had mine for 15yrs. at least, long before I remodeled my kitchen a year ago this past April. Before, it hung by a nail in old wall board, can't tell you how many times the nail worked loose and I had to punch another nail hole to the right or left of the old nail hole. :)

• sserra85
    11 years ago

I finally get to play! We installed a hook on the 3/4 inch filler next to my sink cabinet. I need my towel handy and hung. If it were neatly folded somewhere.. well.. it would never be neatly folded :)

(sorry for the picture, my work computer keeps rotating it once uploaded)

• blubird
    11 years ago

Here's my towel chicken...

Helene

• auroraborelis
    11 years ago

eelpout1 - That is the best solution I have ever seen!!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

My hand towel is hung on the oven door handle.

My dish towels are hung in the open cabinet next to the sink which houses the dish towel bar.

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

Love some of these ideas - might have to make some modifications to my new kitchen - wait it isn't even complete!

• ginny20
    11 years ago

AnnieDeighnaugh - yours is the one I was trying to remember. I love that! You don't have to open a door to get to them. I wish I'd had space for that.

• leela4
    11 years ago

I have two places-one is actually a pull mounted at the end of the island across from the sink and the other is above the sink:

• farmgirlinky
    11 years ago

There can't be too many threads about dishcloth storage. We hang one on the handle of the pull-out trash/recycling bin, and one or two on the rod that runs across the range. Small dishcloths that are generally too wet to hang in contact with cabinetry, I hang on a Magisso magnetic rod in the deep stainless utility sink (look at the video, link below, to see how that works with any sort of sink as long as you can install the magnet on the outside that holds the magnet on the inside -- can pull the whole thing out of the sink for cleaning. If one were to clean. I really like the Magisso design: you need a deep sink for it, but then the wet cloths are mostly out of sight and out of the way.

Here is a link that might be useful: Magisso dishcloth holder

• likewhatyoudo
    11 years ago

Mine is always on the dishwasher handle. It is next to the sink and convenient.

• andreak100
    11 years ago

farmgilrlinky - that's the first I've seen that dishcloth holder. Brilliant! Thanks for sharing.

• deedles
    11 years ago

Farmgirlinky: Do you find that holder gets in your way when you are using the sink, though? If not, it seems super clever!

I fold my towels over the back of the closest chair unless they are sopping wet. Used to have a pull out thing under the sink like Annies but forgot to use it. I'd use hers though. Maybe combine that skinny cab with a papertowel cubby?

• phiwwy
    11 years ago

I need to buy either a holder for towels inside a filler space, or the pull out version shown above (the white cabinet). Very pretty and useful solutions for that extra space! Can anyone share where to buy either ?

• pricklypearcactus
    11 years ago

If I were to hang my dish towel (even a clean dry one) on a lower cabinet, dishwasher, hook, etc, my dog would definitely play with it and possibly eat it. (She has opened a lower cabinet door to eat clean dish towels before.) But I personally have thought about putting a hook or towel ring or bar (like you might use in the bathroom for a hand towel) on the wall by my sink or on an upper cabinet side next to the sink. Or possibly a towel bar mounted under the cabinet close to the backsplash. I would want the towel not to be too obtrusive while hanging, but accessible. I haven't done this (since my kitchen is not remodeled), but it's an idea I'm hoping to bring to my (eventual) kitchen remodel.

• dilly_ny
    11 years ago

We have started to place or dishtowel on the island, microwave drawer handle. This keep it out of sight from alot of angles, similiar to RTwilliams' photo above.

• thirdkitchenremodel
    11 years ago

We put longer bar type pulls on the snk cabinet doors, which were full height (no fascia panels or false drawer fronts). Worked very well. Here's a pic tho no towels were on the pulls at the time. :-p

{{!gwi}}

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

The towel holder I have came from the cabinet guys. But the way it was designed to mount was dumb...one towel over the other, so we had our carpenter mount it the other way so the towels hang side by side.

• TxMarti
    11 years ago

For those of you who hang the towel on the dishwasher or oven door, what do you do with it when you pull the door down?