Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
local_eater

Kitchen Sconce

localeater
11 years ago

I was planning on one or two wall mount lights over the sink in my kitchen. Now I am thinking that wall sconces on either side of the window might be nice instead.

This is my floor plan view:

{{!gwi}}From Kitchen Planning

There are 14" of wall space between the window and the hutch to the right and between the window and the bank of open shelves to the left. I cannot do ceiling lights as it is a post and beam house and the sheetrock between the ceiling beams is affixed to the floor above, IOW no room for electric.

Please let me know what direction, above the sink, or to the sides of the sink you think would look best. The kitchen is modern farmhouse.

Thanks for you advice.

Comments (8)

• springroz
    11 years ago

I would put one on each side of the window. I saw some that would be perfect, but I cannot remember where right now. I'll link them when I do!!
    love your kitchen!!
    Nancy

• eam44
    11 years ago

Hmmm... It depends. Where do you lie in the form to function continuum? On the side of form, that space on either side of the sink is begging for decorative fixtures. On the function side, the sink is where you need illumination at night, not several inches to the left and right. How would you feel about doing both? Perhaps an 18" barn sconce centered over the sink, with one Edison sconce on either side?

Barn

Edison

Here is a link that might be useful: Restoration

• badgergal
    11 years ago

If the link below works, it has several photos of wall sconces next to kitchen windows. They look fabulous. Most people have lights above their sink. If you have room on each side I think that is a more extraordinary look and you should go for it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pictures of kitchens with sconces

• localeater
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks all. I know I like the look and the symmetry that the sconces to each side of the window will provide. I do however definitely require functional lighting.
    EAM, I like your idea of doing both, and I am stylistically in sync with your suggestions. If I went just over the sink, one of my finalist was two mini gooseneck barn lights. However, I was hoping that I could get away with just sconces. I would like to have some sort of window treatment on that window and there are only 12 inches between the top of the window and the beam(which sticks out 5.5 inches and then goes up another 9 to the ceiling).
    What if I mounted the sconces a little on the high side? Do you think that would be enough functional light? Thoughts?

• Audry Barber
    11 years ago

I'll bet if you used two sconces and made sure to get a fixture that casts the light downward and over a fairly wide area, they'd light your sink up really nicely. Maybe even better than a single one, since the light from each fixture would cancel out the shadows from the other. On the other hand, I LOVE those fixtures EAM44 posted!

• onedogedie
    11 years ago

I'd love to hear from people who have sconces in their kitchen or who have experienced kitchen sconces. All the details. The proper height to mount them. Whether they are bothersome to the eye. An Angie-DIY-unified-theory of sconces and light fixtures with exposed light bulbs. Now I will blab on about my theory with the caveat that I have very sensitive eyes.

I have two sconces flanking a mirror (a current retro trend, no?) in a seldom used bathroom and find them a bit bothersome. They are from Schoolhouse Electric. Trumans. The most bothersome part is that I spend high dollars, for me, to be bothered. It isn't a wattage issue, either, because they are on a dimmer. I also have the Rejuvention Rufus wall sconce in my MIL kitchen over the sink. It is mounted at eye level, with the bottom of the light bulbs slightly visible. It bothers me. When I say bother I mean that the light is never doing it's job without me being aware that it is doing it's job.

In my present, exceedingly ramshackle kitchen I have a wall sconce to the left of my sink over the dish drain rack. It is mounted exactly at my eye level. I would tell you the wattage bulb but it is florescent and I don't speak that language. It does not bother me. The key is I cannot see the light bulb and the body of the shade is metal.

So my advice is to get a light fixture with a non-translucent shade. Look to Julia Child's kitchen!

• Audry Barber
    11 years ago

There you go, Julia Child had sconces at both sides of her sink, not above! (they look like they were aim-able)

• eam44
    11 years ago

It totally depends on the fixtures, the height that they're mounted, reflectivity of the wall surface, bulb wattage - I couldn't even guess. But I will tell you most sconces are designed to be lighting accessories, not the main task light in a room.

I'm staying with friends who have only under-cab lighting and sconces in their kitchen. The six sconces are mounted fairly low with high wattage bulbs, but there's really not enough light. The kitchen has a nice ambience, but I try to chop before the sun sets.

For what it's worth, I would rather have good lighting than a particular window treatment. But then, I don't like valences or blinds that mount at the top of the window either. I prefer shutters or Silhouettes - these might be an option for you if you decide to go with over-the-sink lighting.

Maybe you could use an outdoor sconce (brighter bulb) indoors? I hope you find lighting that works for you!