Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
julies19

Induction or Gas Cooktop Help

JulieS19
12 years ago

I need to let the contractor know if I am going with Induction or Gas cooktop soon. Initially I want to with the induction cooktop but now I am having second thoughts. I had order the Bosch 800 series induction cooktop online in June. When the 1st cooktop was delivered, the glass top was shattered. The online auuplier sent another cooktop and the same thing happened. Although the box it came in was in excellent condition. Now my DH thinks the glass cooktop is too delicate/fragile and he doesn't want induction. What I want to know from the induction users - when you accidentally drop a pan or pot on the induction cooktop, does the glass crack or break.

TIA

Comments (13)

• dianalo
    12 years ago

I have been using a single induction burner while we wait for permission to install propane tanks. Nothing has bothered it in any way. If you have access to gas, I'd go for it. You can always get a single burner for when you have parties or if you want to play around with it (approx $100). When Mother Nature takes the power out, it would be nice to have gas for cooking and maybe keeping a huge pot of boiling water going to keep the house from being so cold if it is in winter. It would certainly help to be able to fill hot water bottles if the power were off....

• miniscule
    12 years ago

What a shame that this has happened, twice especially, This seems very unusual. I have had a 36" Electrolux induction cooktop for two years, and no problem at all with the surface. It gets a lot of use from different family members and we do big batch cooking with large heavy stock pans, etc. and never had any concerns about fragility. While we've had big boil-overs and some slips with pots and utensils, I can't say that that it's been seriously "crash-tested". Before that, we had electric glass-surfaced cooktops for years, as have so many others. Induction surfaces are so much easier to maintain, and so far as I know are generally no more fragile. Perhaps your shipments were particularly roughly handled? Or there was a manufacturing flaw?

• Fori
    12 years ago

They're perfectly sturdy, like non-induction glass cooktops. Sometimes poeple break them but it's pretty rare and not the cooktop's fault. They even use the glass/ceramic stuff on a lot of gas cooktops.

Induction is better. Get a camp stove for blackouts.

• JulieS19
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you for your input. I have not given up on the induction cooktop. I might have to buy one locally to avoid the transport but will have to pay a much higher price plus tax (it was over $500). I want to make sure that the cooktop will hold for the money. We current have a gas cooktop and it's pain to keep clean and stay clean. I want something that is easy to maintain thus the reason for induction.

• ilovepoco
    12 years ago

I can't speak to the sturdiness of any glass cooktop, although I've had several over the years and none were ever broken or damaged in any way.

However, during a recent kitchen remodel we converted from gas to a 36-inch Electrolux induction cooktop. We LOVE it. It's fast, clean, quiet, convenient. I'd never think of going back to gas again. One thing I really appreciate is when I work a pot on a back burner, I'm no longer leaning over open flames. And when the cooktop is not in use, it's just more counterspace.

• wizardnm
    12 years ago

We put in the 36" Electrolux induction cooktop this past winter. I was also concerned about how fragile the top might be. I took out the 5 yr extended warranty, just in case as it covers the glass if it breaks. I've not had any problems and I'd say the glass feels very substantial.
    I've been canning on it over the last few weeks and a loaded canner is really heavy..again no problems. I love my induction cooktop!!!!!

Cleaning? It's just like wiping the countertop. I've never had my cooking area look so clean all the time.

Nancy

• ww340
    12 years ago

I got the Wolf gas rangetop, and I hope I will love it. I am worried about clean up, but we will see. I do plan to try out the single induction burner.

I have an area where I can install 2 or more of those if I ever feel the need.

• muskokascp
    12 years ago

We have had the Bosch 800 series induction cooktop in use for the past month. We LOVE it. It is so fast and responsive and as stated the clean up is a dream. The controls are super easy to use. I don't think we have dropped anything on the top but the glass breaking is not really something I am worried about. Give it another go!

• Fori
    12 years ago

Also remember that if there is a flaw in the glass, warranty should cover it. But they've been selling glass cooktops for years and the only difference is that the induction ones don't get icky, even with ME using them.

(That said, I have read that some manufacturers of glass cooktops--radiant as well as induction--refuse to confirm that it's okay to can on them with fully loaded canners.)

• macybaby
    12 years ago

I use my 22 qt stock pot near full with tomato sauce simmering for hours with no problem. I do not try to move it when full though. I don't can on my induction unit because my big canners are aluminum, but I used the 16 qt Presto on my radient glass top with no problems. The Presto is not much heavier than a large stockpot (unlike the AA canner)

I just ordered a Stainless Fagor pressure cooker/canner. It only holds 10 qts, so it's going to be one of my smaller pots used on the stove.

I have had glass top radiant stoves for over 20 years, and never had problems or worried about weight. All of them were OK to can on as long as the kettle was not more than 1" wider than the element it was used on. None of my stoves said anything about the weight being an issue- it was always potential heat buildup.

• marcydc
    12 years ago

I put a pot of homemade pizza sauce on my induction on setting 2 and left it all afternoon. I did not have to stir it at all (I did check a couple of times) nothing stuck to the bottom. Try that gas!!

So not only is the cooktop easy to clean, but I am not scrubbing over cooked stuff from the bottoms of pans anymore. My (more power ala tooltime ) DH is a convert as well.

• Fori
    12 years ago

I do love how you can use it as a crockpot when your crockpot isn't big enough. I also love how you can put your crockpot on the cooktop and do a ventilated crockpotting. Or throw your cutting board there and chop onions or habaneros under the hood. It's great to have an extra (lit and ventilated) flat spot to work where you won't accidentally burn anything.

And I'm not saying don't can on it, just that there have been some GWers in the past who couldn't get any manufacturers to come out and say it would be fine so if you're a stickler for rules, it could be an issue to explore. I suspect enough of us have cooked big things on ceramic cooktops to be comfortable doing it though.

• pupwhipped
    12 years ago

I've had my GE Profile 36" induction cooktop for three years, but I must add, I'm not a big ole cook. It's just hubby and me so I've not slammed and bammed this thing. But, clean up? I LOOOVVVVE IT!!!!!! That is the best thing, in my opinion. Things I don't like about it that few people ever mention, it hums here, buzzes there....it talks to you. Yes, I have some cheapo pots, but I also have All Clad, too. And in that regard, remember, not all pots will work on induction. If you've got old favorites that are not compatible with induction...well then, bye bye.

As far as gas, I'm not really one to comment. I've never had a gas cooktop...well, except for the few weeks after we bought this lake home that I had to cook on the "elderly" gas stove that came with the "antique" kitchen, circa 1952. After waiting 30 minutes for a pot of water to boil for spaghetti, and given that the summer we bought this house the temps were hanging around 107, I passed on gas. But realize, I've never had an affinity for gas anyway. In my renovation, I needed a cooktop that blended into the background given where I had to place it, one that was EASY to clean, and one that wasn't going to make me SWEAT OVER IT.

pup