Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rdw829

Empty Space Behind Cabinets / Appliances - Would it bother you?

rdw829
11 years ago

I hope my question makes sense. Due to a mistake between my contractor and kitchen designer, we wound up with about 6 extra inches in the kitchen. Which is overall good. But, the corner that was going to be filled with a blind cabinet (b/c it is next to the dishwasher) - will have about 6 inches of empty space instead. It will of course be covered by granite, and in the corner next to the dishwasher, so it will never be seen - but it is bugging me knowing that there is this empty space just sitting there.

I need to know if this is normal and I am crazy for letting it bug me - or if this is not right, and I should push for an additional cabinet that the designer and GC were going to give me b/c the mistake was no fault of mine. (Originally, I was told we would be adding two nine inch cabinets - upper and base - now I have been told it is upper only and the empty space will be blocked by the dishwasher and the countertop.

Should I push further or accept this explanation? Just want to get some gardenweb input before going back to the GC and the KD.

Thanks!

Comments (14)

• hilltop_gw
    11 years ago

I'd think you would want your upper and lower to be symmetrical. What are they going to put on the face of the cabinet directly below the upper 9" cabinet? A lower cabinet would make a nice space for cookie sheets. Have they given you a drawing of what it would look like?

• numbersjunkie
    11 years ago

Yes it would bother me. I think a cabinet that small would look strange and be pretty useless. And it would make me look below where I assume I would see a gap between the dishwasher and the wall - or were they planning to put a trim piece there? Maybe I'm not just able to visualize the area you are talking about.

Why can't they replace one of your adjoining cabinets (uppers) with a larger cabinet to fill the 6 inches?

• rdw829
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Good questions. I have not received a drawing yet (I'll re-request).
    According to the GC, moving over the blind base will make things more symmetrical than adding a 9", as we'll have an 18" door on the upper and lower. A little more than half of the blind base cabinet will be blocked by the dishwasher. You will never see the empty space - it is literally in a corner and we will have the granite cover it. It is more NEXT to the blind base and dishwasher than behind.

My GC talked about replacing the upper with a 27" Cab, but it would make everything less symmetrical. The upper cab in question is next to the microwave hood, and matches the cab on the other side.

Did I answer all of your questions? Any other thoughts?

I am going to ask my KD as well. DH feels a bit like we were offered and agreed to a solution of adding two 9" cabs, and now they are only offering one - but obviously, we want to go with what will look best.

• Gracie
    11 years ago

I don't see any use for a 9 inch upper cabinet. Even 12 inches is tight. I have seen cute little nooks built into a small upper space though. Sometimes they fill them up with cookbooks.

• Gracie
    11 years ago

Or wine bottles.

• numbersjunkie
    11 years ago

Yes, yes! I think the open shelves or wine rack would be the best solution. And from what you describe the base cabinet will not be noticable at all.

• rdw829
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the idea! An open cabinet actually wouldn't work b/c the 9 inch is in the middle of the run - next to corner cab. It is taking the place of what was going to be a 3 inch filler. Looks like it might be good for cookie sheets or something though!

On the bottom, I just ahve my blind base to deal with (which is getting a better door front now) - and the 4 inches of empty space in the corner - blocked by blind base and dishwasher - so only I will know it's totally vacant space. Oh well! I hope I love it all when it's done!

• numbersjunkie
    11 years ago

How can you fit cookie sheets in an upper cabinet that is only about 12" deep? I still think an open cabinet or wine rack would look fine, but its hard to visualize your space. Do you have pics?

• Gracie
    11 years ago

You can put a wine rack or open shelf cab in a corner. Look on Houzz for examples.

• amykath
    11 years ago

I love mayflowers idea in the first picture!!!!

• Circus Peanut
    11 years ago

We have a 9" space next to the fridge that we filled with 8" slideout drawers, and are able to keep almost all our pantry items in there. I also love the cookbook shelf idea -- the upper half of a kitchen wall is not an ideal place to keep wine, since heat rises.

• Gracie
    11 years ago

Here are cookbooks in a corner. How cute is that?

• rdw829
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I will try to figure out how to post pics later. Thanks for the ideas!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

I think this is the kitchen, though it doesn't look so rich in this pic as in the OP's pic...though I love the cabinet color and the monochrome counter/tile combo.

DH? Do you think it's time for a new kitchen yet????
    :)

[Traditional Kitchen design[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2107)

Here is a link that might be useful: [From houzz[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/granite-traditional-kitchen-phvw-vp~43565)