Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
GE Duel Fuel Range Not Flush Against Wall - Help!

Posted by NYMK (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 22, 13 at 20:41

So I'm into the finishing touches of our kitchen reno. I have the GE Cafe Duel Fuel Range with the Baking Drawer. But my contractor can't seem to get it flushed against the wall. It sits about 1 inch from the wall. Is this normal?

I've posted a pic of what it looks like. From the front, you can't tell it's sticking out.

Any advice? Opinions? Thanks.

I'll post finished pics in a couple of weeks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: GE Duel Fuel Range Not Flush Against Wall - Help!

My free-standing range fits flush against the back wall. My guess is that you either have the gas line or the electrical plug in the way and that is what's keeping the range from pushing in further. Even if you followed the specs for the gas and electric, they could still be off. I know this from experience. :-(

Pull it out just a bit so that you can look behind there and see what's holding it up.

o

Thanks Jellytoast. If there is a gas line or electrical in the way, is it reasonable to ask the contractor to fix it if he followed the specs? Or is it a ton work?

o

I could just be the flex line for the gas getting in the way and maybe just needs to be pulled aside. You should be able to pull the range our a bit and take a look down there.

o

That's a possibility, too, gpraceman, but I just assumed that the contractor already checked that when he was moving the range into place. Could be that he didn't though, so hopefully that's all it is.

NYMK, if the contractor followed the specs, I don't think it would be reasonable to ask him to correct the location of the line(s) without compensation. When we installed our range, we followed the specs exactly and they were wrong ... both the gas line and the electrical outlet had to be moved a bit, which involved cutting into the drywall, moving the electrical box, adding a couple of fittings to the gas line, then patching the drywall and the paint. Was it a ton of work? No, not really, but it did take a little effort and a couple of hours. Totally doable.

o

I have the GE Cafe Dual Fuel range. It sits flush against the wall. It was installed 2 years ago. Two things I know about the back of the range and installation: There is a recessed area in the back of the range for the electrical outlet to fit into so it CAN fit flush against the wall. There is an anti-tip device that was screwed into the floor that the range had to connect to. Maybe one (or both) of these items is causing it to be unable to go all the way to wall. Hope this helps

o

We had this exact same problem with our Cafe gas double oven range. When I googled the issue, I found a GE forum where several people discussed having this issue, so I don't think it's a fluke. Our contractor discovered that there is some metal on the back of the range that sticks out about an inch. He was able to gain about half an inch by creating a groove or dent in the drywall to accommodate the protruding part, and we concealed the remaining half-inch gap by running the backsplash a couple of inches below the range. I think he may have disabled the anti-tip device too, but I can't remember. It's still not fully flush, but the gap is much less noticeable now and I have made peace with it. I've put a picture of our range below so that you can see how it looks. Good luck!
 photo IMG_1724_zpsb6ba103b.jpg

o

Thank you for all the feedback!!! I really appreciate it.

o

My new #PGB940sefss gas range also does not fit flush against the backsplash. It has a protrusion on the backside behind the controls - I cannot fathom why - that leaves a inch and a half gap to the backsplash. Really a real bad design unless it can be removed but right now it is pushed as far back as it can go.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here