Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scaredreno

Is or is it not Quartzite

scaredreno
9 years ago

I know that this has been discussed, but I haven't been able to find any recent discussions on the issue. I'm looking for countertops. First I wanted quartz (Caesarstone) but the size of the slabs and the design of my kitchen would require two seams (which I do not want). So now I'm looking at quartzite, one in particular, super white. The stone yard has it listed as a granite. My fabricator says that this stone yard is only one he knows that lists it as a granite, but it's more of a quartzite. Then I understand that the stone yard also sells arabascato quartzite which they listed and they consider different from the super white. The stone yard and fabricator told me that arabascato is more like marble (not strong or durable) and super white is like granite, much stronger and durable. But then I read that arabascato is super white. So I'm just very, very confused. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Comments (8)

• nhbaskets
    9 years ago

Below I've link to karin_mt's post from 2012 about the properties of Super White. As you know, this amazing stone has been discussed extensively here. Our stone yard insisted it was a quartzite. I believe the consensus here is it's a marble.

Personally, if I had taken all the cons into consideration when making the decision for our new home, I never would have chosen it. My head said no, but my heart (as well as that of my DH) said yes, so we went for it. We've been in our new home for 3 months and I haven't encountered any issues thus far. I do the cooking in our household and tend to be a pretty neat cook, however, DH is the one at home all day while I'm still working. His sense of clean doesn't equate to mine, but I'm willing to overlook and just go with it when it comes to my countertops.

Good luck in making your decision!

Here is a link that might be useful: The lowdown on Super White

• HOMESWEETHOME1
    9 years ago

If it were me, I'd get a sample from the stoneyard, take it home, and subject it to every kind of scratch/acid/heat test I could think of, then make my decision based on how well it survived. I think the names aren't reliable enough to guide you with any degree of confidence.

• robynstamps
    9 years ago

I agree with getting a sample. I testing a Super White sample and it scratched, etched, and stained. I then found another slab called Brazilian White Quartzite. I took that one home and it passed all the tests including scratching glass. It is super gorgeous and I am happy I tested before I purchased. It will be installed next week!

Good luck with your decision!

• karin_mt
    9 years ago

Yes, what they said.

Your best path is to 1) read up on some of the background on this rock and the experiences others have had. There are 5 threads on this topic, but you'll get the gist.

2) Don't believe anything the stone yard says about the properties of the rocks.

3) Get samples, bring them home, do the tests and see for yourself what you can expect from each stone.

It's kind of a fun process, really. A bit of a sleuthing mission.
    Good luck - keep us posted.

PS - Exciting news Robyn!

• robynstamps
    9 years ago

Thanks Karin! I believe I picked a true quartzite. Here's a sneak peek at one of my slabs for the kitchen.

• xc60
    9 years ago

We have Super White in our new kitchen (4 months old). I, at first was scared it would scratch and etch but so far so good. There is though, one barely visible tiny scratch that one of the tradesmen put on our island before we moved in but other than that it seems to be pretty durable. I agree with trying out a sample from the actual slab you want to buy to test it out.

I am so glad that we went with our Super White, it's simply gorgeous!

• greenhaven
    9 years ago

robyn, that stone is gorgeous!!!!! Wow!

• Bunny
    9 years ago

robyn, wow!!! That is a singularly beautiful stone.

Sponsored
Dream Design Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Innovative Design-Build Firms