Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
memcg_gw

Kashmir White Granite-- Hard to Maintain?

MeMcG
11 years ago

Yikes! I just put a hold on 2 slabs of Kashmire White and now find reports of possible issues with staining and etching.

If you have Kashmir White counters, please let me know the good, the bad, and the ugly (or not) while I still have time to change my mind (though I don't want to).

Thanks!

Comments (8)

• mydreamhome
    11 years ago

We have Kashmir White in laundry & master bath and it's "cousin" River White on the island. The only issues we have had are oil based--I didn't know that rolling out pie dough would cause a big pie shaped darker area.(I did roll out 10 crusts in a row in the same spot.) On the bright side, no one but me noticed the spot & it's been 3 months now and it's nearly undetectable. I could have applied a poultice, but I didn't have the time to do the research on it. So basically, as long as you don't roll out your pie dough directly on the stone or leave something dripping with oil on the counter, you should be fine. I have heard that red wine, Kool-Aid, cherry juice (basically anything colored-especially the reds) can stain any light counter tops if allowed to sit--oil can too. So a good rule of thumb would also be to wipe up any spills promptly and definitely don't let any spills sit overnight.

Overall, we are really happy with our Kashmir White & River White countertops--it just would have been nice to have a better heads up on how to care for it.

Hope this helps!

• MeMcG
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you for responding. I am glad (for us both)that you are happy with your Kashmir White (& River White). I guess we'll just have to be better about cleaning up after ourselves! I understand the darker granites are less prone to staining (or it doesn't show as much) but, even though I like the look, that would have been too dark for our kitchen.
    Thanks again and continued good luck with your counters!
    Anyone else?

• breezygirl
    11 years ago

Can you get a chunk of your slabs or at least one of others in the lot to do your own testing? That's really the only way to know for sure if what *you* are getting is prone to staining and etching. Not all slabs labeled with the same name will perform the same way.

Good luck with your beautiful stone.

• MeMcG
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, breezygirl~
    Anyone else, please?

• funnysunny
    11 years ago

we have had kashmir white in our kitchen since last nov. no problems w staining or etching yet. if water puddles on the countertop for awhile, then a dark mark will appear. that mark disappears as the counter dries. i've rolled pie crust and oily pizza dough on the counters, and haven't had any problems. but i usually clean the counter right after i'm done, and i haven't rolled a ton of pie crusts in a row.

our counters were sealed twice, before and after install, by our installers. we plan on resealing them as needed (thinking this may turn out to be a yearly thing).

• MeMcG
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Funnysunny. I am encouraged. We have decided to go ahead with the kw and will try to be more careful. We are replacing tile that I have hated but it hasn't had issues like staining.
    Thanks again for responding.

• cakelly1226
    11 years ago

I have a lighter toned granite and also found only oil really stains. But even they fade over time if you were to leave say a dish with bacon grease on the bottom overnight:) I did apply a poultice and it helped a bit. It is now faded away two months later. All other things like red wine, coffee wiped right up even after a 24 period.

• MeMcG
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thansk CKGM, I'm feeling a little better. I can live with not leaving things overnight. I just don't want to have to run with a rag everytime a friend sets a glass down on the granite. They would think the real "me" had been abducted by aliens and replaced with a stranger!
    Thanks again.