Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
softfurn

base cabinets for island

softfurn
15 years ago

I am planning on an island approx 24 x 72 made from base cabinets. I would like it to house a farm sink and a DW. If I can get a few more inches of depth from my floor plan, is there a way to make this 28"deep from semi custom cabinets? Also, if I can only have a 24" deep base, will it look strange having the faucet all the way back near the edge of the countertop? Thanks

Comments (7)

• remodelfla
    15 years ago

Build a false back and cover with extra end/cover panels cut to fit.

• igloochic
    15 years ago

You can also use a combination of base cabs and uppers prepared for an island (with a toe kick). That's what my 33x44 island is built from.

I must admit I don't like the idea of the faucet so far back. I'd try my best to squeese in the 28" target. You can fudge on an isle width to get the room if you're leaving large isles...

• rosie
    15 years ago

Don't forget your overhangs; standard overhangs add up to as much as an 1 1/2 (to 3/4) inches, typically about 3 inches on an island. In very simple terms, you could always add another sheet or two of plywood under whatever is covering the back to add a bit more depth to your cabinets. Maybe someone will have some good ideas on how to incorporate more cabinet depth, though. A nice trim look has no overhang at all.

Regarding the faucet, kitchens are functional spaces, and any functional item tends to look like it belongs simply because it does. FWIW, I'd personally get the faucet I wanted and needed right where I wanted and needed it and accept the appearance that came with it.

• User
    15 years ago

Most semi custom cabinet lines will do extended depth cabinets for about a 15% upcharge. My sink base was free so I think I paid another $150 for the extended depth of 27 inches (almost 30 inches with overhangs). Ditto what rosie said about the overhangs. 27 inches deep in cabinets means 29.5 inches deep (1.25 standard overhang x 2 sides)with countertops. Also, the farm sink will protrude the depth of the overhang too (or more if you want it to).

As far as the faucet placement goes..., most apron sinks are 18 inches deep which means the faucet will have more inches behind it then an undermount because the sink protrudes. I have a 27 inch deep base cabinet with a farm sink and my faucet is about 10 inches from the wall. So your faucet will not be right on the end of the countertop.

I do want to add (since I made this mistake) to make sure your aisles are wide enough. Mine are 39 inches and they are way too narrow. 48 is really a minimum, especially where dishwashers and sinks are since they will be pretty high traffic areas.

• softfurn
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you all for your responses.

Cleo, do you have a picture of your sink and faucet? I will probably be going with dish drawers as this is a one person, one cat house. The kitchen has presented many problems as space is a real issue. I think I have a 38" aisle in my work triangle. I am dealing with approx a 9 x13 space.

• User
    15 years ago

Hi softfurn

I know what you mean about space issues. I am the primary cook in my house so I thought the 39 inch aisles would be fine in my corner cooking space but when my helpers are around, it is really crowded. Here is a pic of my sink area (blurry).

The sink base is 33 x 27 with a stock 30x18x10 apron sink. I have 3 inch spice pullouts on either side too. If you can fit a corner cabinet, I would recommend it since it holds almost all of my pots, pans and small appliances. A dishwasher drawer sounds like a great idea.

I would really recommend posting your layout on this forum for help. There are some real geniuses here who may be able to help you solve your layout issues.

• softfurn
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Cleo, thank you for the picture. I especially love your sink. Interesting enough, I hope to use the counter top cabinets like yours to the left of my window, so the picture was really helpful. I did get very good layout help on this forum. And thanks for all of you reminding me about adding on for the overhang.