Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone remember discussion re. *right* type of plumber's putty?

Posted by theresse (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 7, 13 at 20:34

Hi there (and long time no talk for some of you)!

I'm the one, if this rings a bell (unless there are more of us), with the infamous pics of the Shaws farmer sink that had cracks coming out from the drain. I eventually got it replaced by them which was good - at no cost to me. My then-contractor may have damaged it when overtightening the flange (?).

Anyway, today's problem is that ever since the new sink has gone in, we're a little paranoid about overtightening and it's possible that's why the disposal keeps coming loose and starts leaking water into the bottom of our cabinet below the sink. : - / My husband believes it's cause we have too much crap under there (cleaning agents and such). He thinks we push things around under there and it's dislodged something.

He doesn't know anything about any of this stuff but he's going to attempt - via googling - to fix this himself. I told him I thought I had a memory of reading something on here about some sort of putty being the kind that should be avoided. Not sure of details...perhaps because a flexible kind's required? Or maybe it's the opposite? Maybe it had something to do with a putty that will help prevent/avoid fireclay sinks cracking somehow? I have some funny memory of that, I think.

Hope this makes at least some sense!

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone remember discussion re. *right* type of plumber's putt

Hi again -

I found an old thread I started when my sink cracked (pressure cracks, I'd written). The disposal I have is a 1 hp Insinkerator which Rohl said isn't a problem.

I'm wondering if this comment someone wrote about a putty might be what I'd read in the past. If you're knowledgable about such things, please let me know if this makes sense to you reading this!:

"I can get things tight enough that most of the guys I work with cannot loosen them without tools, and my regular plumber can get them tighter than I can.

Making sure the joint has some decent durometer rubber to conform to the surfaces is a much better way (and the rubber acts as a locking mechanism)."

Thanks!

o

I've read that generic "plumber's putty" is slightly acidic, hence not utilized to secure flanges, faucets etc where clear silicone will do instead.

So, perhaps you're recalling something about plumbers putty itself?

You might place thread seal tape (PTFE)over the pipe to which your garbage disposal hose end is affixed. It's sometimes called plumbers tape or if by a manufacturer, Teflon tape. It acts as a lubricator, allowing the pipes' threads to be tightly screwed together thus creating a better seal.

o

This is the putty we used on our Silgranit sink/disposal. The plumber said silicone would not hold well and he agreed that regular plumber's putty should not be used. It's been 2 months and everything is great so far.

o

We used the same one shown in the picture above. The plumber was a bit taken aback when I told him he couldn't use his normal putty and I had special putty for the soapstone. But he used it

o

Thanks SparklingWater! Do you think I could use the tape and silicone together? Totally ignorant here if you can't tell.

o

Thanks TexasPenny and Katy-Lou! The container doesn't mention anything about sinks/drains though - just countertop material. This is really the right stuff?

o

(and disposals which are metal, of course)

o

(and disposals which are metal, of course)

o

Yes it goes under the flange that fits in the sink cutout, flange has a lip on it below that the gd locks onto with included locking ring. Screws on gd compress entire set and hold snug together. Putty provides water tight seal under flange.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here