Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bellsmom

bakery storage in wall cabinet

bellsmom
9 years ago

I am so endlessly grateful to GW for the design and function of my kitchen. This is an attempt to say thank you and is a follow up of a sorts from my recent post on how I am using my upper cabinet corner susans for bakery supplies. And NO, I am not in any way connected to the distributer or manufacturer of these containers!!

I wanted to show you how VERY well 15" deep cabinets and the sistema storage system work together for me to store my frequently used bakery supplies. (This is pure serendipidty--I I had no idea how much I would LOVE the 15" deep cabs when I decided on them. And I had never heard of sistema bakery storage canisters.)
Here is an old pic of the corner of my new kitchen:

The next pic is the cabinet to the right of the corner cabinet. You can access a new post about how storage in the susans in the corner cabinet has evolved from the link at the bottom of this post if you wish.

This organization works because the cabinet is 15" deep and the sistema canisters are 7" deep. I can put them two deep in the cabinet. Just by chance, the cabinet turned out to be 20 1/2" wide, which nearly perfectly fits four systema canisters in width. (It would have been better if I had had an extra 1/2"--then I wouldn't have had to invert an occasional canister because the hinged clips, if ranked four in a row, exceeded my width. You'll see what I mean in the pics below.

So, OK, here is the front of the fully stocked cabinet. One of the smallest canisters would have fit in the open space on the second shelf, but I forgot to put it in place.

I have two fully stocked shelves, while the top shelf contains items I cannot reach without aid. The device hanging on the inside of the door allows me to pull down the large metal bowl at the top right without climbing a step stool.

The canisters you see are modular sistema bakery canisters and fit perfectly two-deep in the cabinet.
Here you can see the same two shelves with the two front center canisters removed to show the row at the back.

And here you see the canisters from the lowest shelf only. I pulled them out and laid them face up on the island. The flour canisters contain 5# of flour; the sugar canisters contain 4# of sugar; other canisters contain varying amounts of whatever I needed handy.

The modular canisters are designed to be stacked in various configurations. Here are the dimensions:

If you are interested in these containers, you can find them at King Arthur Flour's website, on Amazon, and at Home Goods, on occasion. HG has by far the best price when they show up there!

Here is a link that might be useful: Corner susans in wall cabinets storing baking supplies

This post was edited by Bellsmom on Sat, Aug 2, 14 at 20:40

Comments (9)

• brightm
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

bellsmom, you've set me off looking at Sistema products. I've had some of the glass storage pieces with similar locks on all 4 sides. I found the gaskets were ribbed and hard to get clean. Eventually, I gave up. I think I have one left.

You've been showing mostly longer term storage, but can you say anything about the gasket? And do you have any of the ones with blue (not-bakery) parts? (Gaskets could be different on the bakery and non-bakery).

• bellsmom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Cal_quail
    I have a few (maybe 3) of the sistema cereal storage canisters with blue seals. They have held up well for my husband, who is definitely NOT careful when he pours out his morning cereal. Mostly I have avoided the blue ones because I prefer the white when I open a cabinet door.
    I double checked after I wrote the above, and I don't see any difference in the gaskets.

I have never noticed a problem with cleaning mine, but even though I use the flour ones once or twice a week at least, the sugar and salt probably more often, I don't clean them often at all. They store dry, powdery materials, and I only clean them when I empty them.

Don't know how these would do for refrigerator storage. I use cheap stuff for that--odds and ends. You know, recycled cottage cheese containers and supermarket deli odds and ends.

This post was edited by Bellsmom on Sat, Aug 2, 14 at 21:59

• brightm
    9 years ago

Thanks! I should probably get a few and check them out to start.

ETA: I'm thinking of them for some dry storage for snacks and stuff. I don't want open bags with clothes pins anymore. And I'm partial to rectangles, and also like blue. :) But I'm also low on left over type storage, so I'd love to get things that would do double duty. I've been known to leave a science experiment or two in the fridge, hence the nasty gasket.

This post was edited by cal_quail on Sat, Aug 2, 14 at 22:13

• Fori
    9 years ago

Nice but.

Fishy vases!!! What a great collection!

• bellsmom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Cal_quail
    Sistema makes other containers with 2" square flip top pour "spouts" in the tops that work well for snacks. These are usually the ones with blue trim. I use them for cereal, dog treats, and miscellaneous snacks. They are slimmer, taller, and do not stack. They just happen, serendipity again, to exactly fit on the bottom shelf of my old corner cabinet.

These are nearly always available at a great price at our Home Goods and at a less than great price on Amazon.

Fori, The glug jugs or fish vases make me smile. They are the real reason for the unfashionable staggered tops on my cabs.

• brightm
    9 years ago

I wanted to ask the story behind the fish. Such pretty pops of color.

I ordered a few cracker, cookie, and lunch plus Sistema's from Amazon last night. :) I thought about the cereal ones, but I usually keep cereal in a drawer (out of box) so I'll use one of the lower ones.

• bellsmom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Cal_quail
    I hope you find the sistemas as useful as I do. I love the modular, stacking design and the fact that a whole 5# bag of flour fits in the 9" tall one. You do, however, have to store the dipping/measuring cup that comes with it elsewhere until you use up some of the flour and there is room for it to nestle in.
    If you store flour in the largest (9" tall) container, remember NOT to pour the flour into the container. If you do, you will have 1/4 of the flour that won't fit without a lot of compressing and mess. Just push bag and all in and it fits perfectly. Sugar works fine poured into the next smaller container.

I can't remember--are you still designing your kitchen? If so, I urge you to consider at least some 15" deep uppers.

This post was edited by Bellsmom on Sun, Aug 3, 14 at 9:59

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

Well damn! I didn't size my new pantry shelves accordingly, Bells.

• bellsmom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Errant--
    You made me laugh. You sound EXACTLY like me when I discover a good toy too late.
    I can't remember what dimensions you chose in your pantry.
    But the Sistema bakery series is modular. You can stack them to nearly any height. Might still work. And if you have 8" deep shelves, they will fit perfectly front to back with no waste space.
    Below is a link to the best helper shelf that I found. I love their look, their expandability, and their sturdiness. I also like the fact that, unlike wood shelves, these are transparent and you can see what is below them.

I use a LOT of these in my pantry on the fixed shelves. It is so much more efficient to stack only like items so one never has to unstack bowls and saucers to get to a plate, for instance. Also had them in my upper cabs until I had enough sense to just make some extra shelves myself.

Here is a link that might be useful: Best helper shelf I have found.

This post was edited by Bellsmom on Sun, Aug 3, 14 at 16:27