Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Undermount sinks and quartz countertops- how much faucet space?

Posted by mprobst (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 6, 13 at 20:30

I'm looking for undermount sinks to go in my new kitchen, but very confused about sink "depth", meaning the front-to-back measurement. The sink I like (Vigo VGR2320C) has a 20" depth, which includes the lip around the top, meaning the actual opening you will see when the sink is mounted under the countertop is 18" front-to-back. My cabinets are standard 24" depth, so I would assume the countertop will be 25" deep. Subtract from that the space needed for the tile backsplash... do I still have enough room for a faucet between the wall and the sink?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Undermount sinks and quartz countertops- how much faucet spac

There's a good discussion in the thread titled "How much space do you have behind your sink?" that may help you. See the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: front to back - counter, sink and faucet measurements

o
RE: Undermount sinks and quartz countertops- how much faucet spac

You should do the calculation yourself to confirm.

I would assume 3.5" from the front edge of the countertop to the front of the sink. You probably wouldn't be able to get it to be much less, maybe 0.25".

You also need to look at the measurement requirements for your faucet. You will need a bit of clearance between the back edge of the sink and the faucet cutout hole.

You also need to look at the exact faucet and make sure that the handle doesn't have extra space requirements. Some faucet handles extend behind the main tube -- if you are short on space, make sure you have one that doesn't force your fingers to bang against the back wall.

If you have a backsplash behind the sink, you should deduct the width of that material from the overall space requirement.

If your sink is 18" front-to-back you should be able to find a faucet that works, but it will be close and if you pick the wrong one it could definitely be an issue. I would try to find the right matching faucet rather than extend the depth of the countertop, which can lead to other issues (e.g. harder for people to reach the faucet or anything behind it).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here