Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
2littlefishies

Bead or No Bead... AGAIN.

2LittleFishies
11 years ago

OK, I thought I was doing inset. No bead. Now my Cabinet Maker says he has me down for beaded inset. It's certainly still okay to change but what I'm saying is cost wise it's in what we are paying. If we DON'T do the bead, of course he'll take off $1800-$2000-- I have to check.

So, other than cost what do you think for our yellow/white cottage kitchen? 1950 Cape Cod. Our kitchen isn't a period kitchen though.

I saw one of his beaded kitchens today and honestly didn't think it was too fancy. Hoping to see a no bead inset of his tomorrow. He seems to like doing beaded- probably b/c it shows off his workmanship.

We do have a good amount of cabinetry so I don't know if the bead is too busy or on the other hand if no bead will be too plain?

Sorry to babble. I know you'll set me straight. lol

Comments (40)

• secondhalf
    11 years ago

Can you post a picture of his work?

• marcolo
    11 years ago

It's not too fancy, but bead is pretty period. And not your period.

Bead does require extra cleaning. Somebody on here talked about using Q-tips or something.

• Ann Scheley
    11 years ago

I believe your yellow cabinets would look great with the beaded inset style. I think it would go with your cottage style you are shooting for. I just got beaded inset white cabinets and I really like the feel it gives to the kitchen.

• marcolo
    11 years ago

Would you walk into this front door expecting to see Edwardian cabinetry?

Forgot to mention but those awnings are killer, btw.

• islanddevil
    11 years ago

Annsch did you post your kitchen pics/details? If so can you please provide a link? Thanks.

• CEFreeman
    11 years ago

Edwardian?
    Never heard that.
    Hmmmm....

I live for beaded inset. I don't find it busy at all, but then I am more of a flat panel or slab type door/drawer with them. Keeps the eye more still.

The gorgeous inspiration pic you post could easily handle beaded. Your little birds could carry it, too, I think.

• chris11895
    11 years ago

I vote no bead. You've got the perfect amount of detail going on, you don't need anymore.

• babushka_cat
    11 years ago

no bead. you won't miss it. keep in mind when the fur starts flying (unanticipated costs will come up) you will appreciate the 2K savings. 6 months from now you will not even remember the bead.....

• Donaleen Kohn
    11 years ago

I don't know what your cabinets look like. Some here seem to know. I do love bead board. I love it in wainscotting, backs of cabinets and even ceilings. It was used a lot in old kitchens. Not so sure about how easy it would be to keep clean in a cabinet door.

• Ann Scheley
    11 years ago

island---not sure if I even have a link, but just posted pix of finished kitchen the other day, try page 2 here on GW and look for "ALMOST all white..." post and you can see it there.

• go_figure01
    11 years ago

Fishies, Please post pictures !!

I have alot of wainscotting in my home, but am not "period" so I cannot visualize what you are asking.

Something worth consideration though, but I favor what babuska_cat wrote.

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

BEADED Inset Cabinets have a bead around the frame of the cabinets.

Here are cabinet that don't have the bead (this has nothing to do with the door style itself except that it is inset.

NO BEAD

I should give credit for some of these GW kitchens but need to get myself ready for the day and I can't look them up right now. Sorry!

Here is my inspiration kitchen (beaded) (by Betsy Speert)

• gr8daygw
    11 years ago

2K? I see your dilemma. I'd have to think twice. In pictures at least it doesn't seem worth the extra. But might be a different story in person.

• francoise47
    11 years ago

2LittleFishies,

I'll admit that I think I advised against beaded inset
    when you first asked GW if you should pick it earlier this year.
    If it were my kitchen, I still wouldn't add the bead.

But, the fact that you've come
    back to this question once again at the 11th hour
    suggests that you are still longing for the bead.
    That makes me think that you really do want it and maybe should go for it.

On the other hand, I remember some of the best advice I got when doing my kitchen renovation was not to "reopen" decisions that had already been made.

How is that for a sitting on the fence response to your question?!

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Francoise- ha!
    Honestly I was totally fine with no bead all this time.
    Then my cabinetmaker said that I was getting a bead!
    That's how this started all over again!
    I'm still leaning towards no bead. : )

This sounds silly but I think being that most people consider a bead an upgrade- something desirable- that it makes me want to get it.
    LOL. As if people will say " ooh you have beaded Inset cabinets"!

So ridiculous I know. Just being honest : )

• likewhatyoudo
    11 years ago

I have been following your kitchen design decisions and look forward to seeing it progress, I know whatever you decide will be beautiful. I like the clean lines of the Katieobkitchen you posted: It may be beaded inset, I can't really tell, but it looks nice and crisp.

I saw this banquette on Houzz last night and the banquette made me think of your kitchen.

[Traditional Kitchen design[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2107) by San Francisco Architect Heydt Designs

• CEFreeman
    11 years ago

I can't help it.
    The clean lines of the inspiration picture are still enhanced by the bead.

To me, it's such a subtle detail that adds depth & texture to a lovely kitchen.
    No bead is fine, but my anti-clutter eye sees it as flat. Clean, nice lines, but flat.

I'd kill for beaded inset, which I'm trying to make! [LOL]

• Donaleen Kohn
    11 years ago

Ohhhhhh.... I vote no bead. I like the clean lines without the extra bit.

• p.ball2
    11 years ago

fishes: are you going to do latches? Remember the problem that michelle16 had with installing the latches on the beaded edge?
    I am not sure that it would happen with all beaded edge cabinets but if you are set on having latches ( not sure if you are) then you may want to ask you cabinet maker if there will be any issue with that.
    I LOVE beaded edge and like VERY MUCH the flat inset. I am going with no bead- mostly because of budget. I was happy to realize that it would be easier to install the icebox latches that I decided upon easily with no bead. It made foregoing the bead a little easier.

That being said. If cost is not an issue and you really love the bead then go for it!!!!!!

• p.ball2
    11 years ago

As I look at you inspiration photo, which is so lovely, it looks to me that the doors and single drawers are beaded and the drawer stacks are not? Could it be that the picture is just too grainy? If not and this is true would you mix it up like that?
    I would never think to do that but in this picture it does not look odd to me at all. In fact I have seen kitchens where the top cabinets are inset and the lowers are overlay. It looked pretty good also.

• Clarion
    11 years ago

I vote beaded. No question beaded is better aesthetically, so now it's a question of money. And money is a question of time. You can't re-do the cabinets, but some other thing or project can be delayed until a few more pay checks come in. Get what you love. Sometimes, you just have to wait longer!

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hey p.ball2- I bought the November 2004 Traditional Home that features the inspiration kitchen so I have a nice big clear photo : )

Anyway, all the pieces have a bead. Just a little blurry. All the drawers are slab front (which isn't my thing really) and the doors have the edging around- is it called 5 piece?

I do want to do cup pulls so the top drawers would have to be slab front and then I think I'd like to have the bead around that.

I don't know. i do love the bead too. Just going to have to decide and that's that.

• p.ball2
    11 years ago

guess it was just a grainy photo.
    I am doing the same- getting a slab front for the top drawer on the drawer stacks and then the lower two drawers are going to be 5 piece( or let's just say have the shaker panel detail. I am also doing cup pulls on the drawers so slab on the top drawer was a must.

I think that either way from what I have seen in your postings and read, your kitchen is going to be gorgeous. Go with your gut and also your budget, sometimes I wish I only had to worry about gut but budget does seem to drive many of the decisions at least in my home.

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Budget definitely does make a difference! Thanks so much for taking the time to help me out : )

That's for the rest of you too!

• mpagmom (SW Ohio)
    11 years ago

I've always admired beaded inset but went with unbeaded for simplicity. When I was wiping down my cabinets the other day, I was thinking I was sure glad I didn't have a bead to contend with. I would personally save the money.

• go_figure01
    11 years ago

Fishies: Great pics and thanks for showing me with precise clarity! It is definitely a preference call and one that I would not have considered without your education. You have saved me alot of time down the road for having to think about this before my project begins.

I agree w/CEFreeman. Without it, I feel the look is flat too. It is just that little bit of added detail that makes a difference (to me). The other consideration I will have to make is how much of a cost increase it is. There are certain things I must have, and I am trying to figure what I can live without. I can tell already, its gonna be tough when the time arrives for me to make these decisions.

Good luck. I know whatever you choose, it will look amazing.
    I will be watching for your pics!

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hey I got some pics of my friend's kitchen that my cabinet maker did for her last month with beaded inset. It is very subtle. Even when I went in person I was expecting it to jump out at me but it didn't.

So, I was thinking as far as cleaning.... many people get fancy/intricate doors or have a bead on the door, (like Bee's). That would be the same issue isn't it?

If I do beaded, I think the drawers I chose would be more simple whereas if I do flush inset (no bead) I'd want more detail on the drawer.

OK, I know I've dragged this out. Long enough...

OH- went to another friend's house with flush inset. Here's the pics...

• gardenamy
    11 years ago

Good luck with your decision! I went beaded...and never looked back. Only people who are TKO will notice anyways. I notice....and will clean with a Qtip without a problem.

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Some are thinking (including my cab guy and a decorator) that no bead may be too plain. If we were using slab drawers that might be true but if we do drawers like katieob's old kitchen I just don't see "plain" here...

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg101000057942.html

Also there's so much more going on in the kitchen like our backsplash that a bead may not be needed. (Do you like the way I flip flop on each post???

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

PS--- Would it be reasonable to only bead the island. The perimeter of kitchen will have yellow lowers and the island is white with a different countertop... so it's like it's own piece of furniture...

Either that or in the same room is the built ins on either side of dining room banquette. Maybe just bead that area. (Those are white too)

There's one more draft of this being done (some measurements are incorrect but here's the layout:

• likewhatyoudo
    11 years ago

I like the idea of beaded for the island only and simple no bead for the rest of the cabinets. With the yellow and white and all the beautiful details you are doing it is going to be fantastic and I can not wait to see the finished kitchen.

Are your cabinet doors like your friends/neighbors or like katieobs?

Looking at your kitchen design, I think you have a nice design with the stacked glass cabinets, I don't think you need the bead detail. But it is your kitchen and if you love bead then do it.
    When I did our kitchen I ordered the cabinets, had nightmares that I had made a bad decision, called and changed the order to a completely different door the next day. I know what you are going through it is a huge decision. But once you do decide you will be able to relax and move on to the next task.

Oh my am I glad my kitchen is done.

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

rtwilliams- I don't have doors chosen yet. If I do flush inset I was thinking more like katieob's...

Yes, the whole process - especially now that definite decision have to be made- like NEXT WEEK- is causing much anxiety! I'm even annoying myself with all this back and forth! lol

• mpagmom (SW Ohio)
    11 years ago

I like the beaded island idea.

• likewhatyoudo
    11 years ago

Well I think we need to see your door choices asap so you can get that decided. Not annoying to me at all. My DH and DD certainly where understanding when I was going through the deciding process. I did learn not to ask DH about paint!

I wish I had asked for guidance in my decisions from GW. In the end I live with my decisions and and happy with the results. I really should stop looking at other peoples kitchens because this is the only one I will have and I do love my home.

I love before and afters!

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

If I bead the island and not the perimeter, I wonder if I'd still use the same drawers/doors around whole kitchen or do something different for island???

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

****OH- I want to do cup pulls, but looking at the baking area (far left at prep sink), let's say, would it look odd to do a knobs (probably glass) on the top drawers, and cup pulls on the middle and bottom?

If I did that with flush inset I could still have a something other than a slab drawer for the smaller top drawers (being there wouldn't be space for a cup pull unless slab)

• rosie
    11 years ago

I was wondering if you could bead some upper cabinets and go simpler in the drip altitudes? I like the beaded look but do agree that cleaning it would get old fast.

The plus of bead, though, is that it adds additional shadow--desirable as one of those "textural" items in tone-on-tone kitchens to keep them from being too flat. Do you need it?

BTW, I decided to forego without regret, not just when I found out how much it would cost (that would have been enough), but because I actually preferred a simple, and once very common look with...I can't remember the name. What you would have if you edged the inset panel of a Shaker door with sort of a quarter-round?

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

rosie- thanks for your thoughts!

Does adding a bead mean space is being lost somewhere or is it the same with or without??

• go_figure01
    11 years ago

katieob's is also one of my favorite inspiration kitchens. i think if you use doors like that, then you probably dont need to bead, but you are smart to think about if you do not bead, what detail do you want on the door and not just a plank - like you said.

Inquiring minds will want to know what you decided. I cant wait to see how stunning your kitchen will be - no matter what you decide.

Happy decision making!